Tree Bucket Double IPA | Brewery Vivant

Tree Bucket  Double IPATree Bucket  Double IPA

Brewery Vivant
breweryvivant.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Big, bold, and balanced, this double IPA is unlike most. We take an artistic Belgian approach to our beer. Our brewers sling some serious Citra hops into the kettle as you might expect, but we overlay that excessive hoppiness with Belgian candi sugar to add dimension to this beer. The result is a siege of hop flavor without the bitterness. Tree Bucket catapults out of the brewery once a year. Hoppy beers are not for cellaring. Find it, drink it, enjoy it now.

Added by SupaCelt on 04-02-2012

1.5/5  rDev -62.5%

1.75/5  rDev -56.3%

2.25/5  rDev -43.8%

2.4/5  rDev -40%

Pour is a bright hazed golden amber with a fair bit of white head and medium bubbles with strong retention. Nose has a fair bit of candied sugar, very stale grain, messy yeast and a touch of lemony esters. Faint grassy hay hops. Taste is similar, sweet candied sugar up front, stale grains with a metallic note, lots if sugar mid to late palate with sweet citrus punch and a grassy bitter hop finish with moderate acidity. Finish is syrupy, a bit fizzy on the throat, coats the mouth.

2.5/5  rDev -37.5%

3.05/5  rDev -23.8%

The color of this beer is lime green with a hint of honey lemon. The smell resembles citrus, spice, and lemon. It tastes like grapefruit and a spiced toffee. The texture is of malts and has a bitter mixture. Overall, it was okay, a bit too funky for me.

3.16/5  rDev -21%

Taste: bitter wild grassy hop, earthy yeast, bread notes with alcohol bite. Floral hops, coriander peppery spice nose. Gold, clear, with white head and some lace. Medium lite body.

3.22/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not that I condone giving money to this brewery after shaming the beer scene with their frivolous lawsuit against Tired Hands, but this can was given to me as an extra in a trade, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Poured from the can into a Vivant can glass (again, I got this before I knew what kind of people they were). Clear amber color, with a billowing inch-plus of white head, which sank to a thick ringlet, and laced the glass nicely. In the nose, fruity yeast, soapy, some sugar sweetness, notes of citrus. Vaguely Belgian-IPA-ish. Thinned-out taste somewhat reflected the aroma, estery sweetness, light citrus twang, clovey spice, bready yeast, metallic undertones, crackery malts, neutral alcohol, leaving a bland finish. Overall came off more like an off-flavored DIPA than anything else. Light-medium body, average carbonation. Worth a couple sips, but not something that I would purchase.

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.34/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to SurlytheDuff for this one. 16oz. can into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 2.5 finger frothy, cream colored head with good retention. Beer is a clear mahogany. Lacing is thick and layered with good stick. A pretty good looking brew!

Nose is citrus, cane sugar, clove with a bit of soapiness. Tropical fruit too. On point and moderately aromatic.

Opens citrus, Belgian yeast, papaya and clove. Some coriander with a bit of pepperiness in the middle. More tropical fruit and dank hop bitterness. End is citrus, cane sugar and a sap hop bitterness. Finishes spicy, sweet, and hoppy. This tastes exactly as I would think... but its not very good.

Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a touch of bubbles in the mouth and goes down lively. Finishes messy with a lingering, sticky, dry aftertaste. Decent.

A decent beer but the flavors just don't work here. The Belgian yeast clashes with the citrus, and sap hop profile. Definitely to style, but it's just not very good.

3.42/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.42/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.47/5  rDev -13.3%

3.48/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 16oz can into a tulip glass.

A- Pours deep burnt orange with only about a finger of white head. Had a good amount of chill haze but cleared a good bit as it warmed.

S- Sweet and with a Belgian yeast character of light spice and bubblegum. Getting a bit sweet apricot and some citrus of mostly sweet grapefruit. Some of the ABV is coming out as it warms as well but the yeast and hops are doing a good job of covering it up.

T- Similar to smell, pretty sweet especially for an IPA, getting that Belgian yeast character, apricot and grapefruit, not a real big bitterness. Slight bit of lingering pine.

M- This one is like maple syrup a real sipper for me.

O- Not really a fan of this or really Belgian IPAs in general. I just don't find the yeast and a big hop profile to be very complementary. On top of that I find this too sweet and pretty expensive at around $17 for a 4pack of pint cans, I mean that's more than even marked up Heady 4packs! I wish I liked more stuff from Vivant but most of the stuff I've had from them just hasn't connected with me.

3.49/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

If you are ever in the Chicagoland and CAN get to one of their locations, Binney's Liquors remains a CANQuest (TM) source nonpareil! This was a recent score.

From the CAN: "Special Limited Release"; "Freshly Brewed in Michigan"; "Belgian Style Double India Pale Ale"; "I'm not your Grandpa's CANned swill. I'm a craft CAN - lightweight, highly recyclable, and chock full of goodness inside and out. I'm as fresh as CAN be because I won't let any light got through me. Float me next to a CANoe, take me camping, golfing, boating, or cycling for excitement. I'm easy to pack in and pack out. I won't let you down. Promise."; "A trebuchet is an old school type of catapult built by the French in the Middle Ages. This seemed appropriate since our brewers are slinging tons of hops at you in this beer. Expect to be hit upside the head with citrus & tropical fruit from the hoppy doses we cram into each fermenter. The Belgian style yeast used adds an uncommon dimension to this beer that make it distinctly Vivant and separates it from its brethren DIPAs."; "COMPLIMENTARY FOODS Really sharp aged - Hooks 7 year from Wisconsin is fabulous. If you like spicy things, this will add fuel to the fire, as hops intensify heat."; "GLASSWARE A small tulip or snifter is great to focus the hop flavors. Pouring with an adequate head on the beer will assist in releasing the hop aromas."

I have wanted to review this beer for years! What a coup to find this a Binney's. My work colleague/CANfidant/Physics teacher and good guy Dan "the man Levitan" Warner has a end-of-year project in which his students design, build and use trebuchets to launch objects on the green space in front of the school. No bovines to date, but hit really flies and I will skip Lunch to go and watch. He will be getting one of these CANs once we return from the summer break.

The Crack released a spurt of beer that initially surprised me before I got things under CANtrol. The Glug produced anywhere between one to two fingers of light-tan head with decent retention. This was a rare occasion in which I shared a CAN with two other people. Color was solidly amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was not as intensely hoppy as the previous DIPA, but there were still plenty of hops in evidence. Mouthfeel was surprisingly thin, especially for the style. Taste was bitter and very hoppy, but not much beyond that. I do not mind unbalanced, but this simply did not stand up in comparison to the previous beer. Finish was citrusy, more toward lemon than grapefruit. Great name, so-so beer.

Tree Bucket Double IPA from Brewery Vivant