Tart Side Of The Moon

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Tart Side Of The MoonTart Side Of The Moon
Notes: Hearty stout is kettle soured and blended for a slight tartness along side big dark chocolate notes and hints of black cherries.
Reviews: 64 | Ratings: 387 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by mhksuccess:
mhksuccess from California

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a can into RR goblet
it looks extremely dark almost black again this could be lighting in my house
there was no head and no lacing
smell is funky fruity (dark currants, cherry) tartness
kind of like you can smell that funky tartness
and the taste followed slight tartness and extreme funk
dark cherry
very smooth nice pretty easy to drink for almost 10% ABV
DEFINITELY PUT A " Lunatic in my head"
this maybe one of the best label plays ever
would drink this again it was definitely enjoyable

Jun 13, 2013
buschbeer from Ohio

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1 Pint can
Served in a goblet per directions on the can

L - It is black. No light is getting through this beer. It is topped with a modest mocha head that quickly disappears. There are minute traces of lacing.

S - I notice a tart smell. It is fruity. Cherry comes to mind.

T - The taste is somewhat unique. Dark, tart fruit intermingle with roasted malt. The Belgian yeast comes through with some spice as well. Alcohol is noticeable at times.

F - Full

O - It starts out great with the cherry and roasted malt flavors. The finish is a bit lacking for me. The spiciness of the yeast comes in and changes the flavor, cleansing my palate of what I crave. It is almost like a saison finish to a dark, tart beer. It is an interesting experience, but at $17 a four pack, I will probably not purchase again, unless it is on tap somewhere (I have seen it at Slow's).

Jan 17, 2015
Hugonaut13 from Illinois

4.61/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Can poured into snifter

A - Pours a deep black with a slight reddish hue when held to the light. Minimal carbonation, which is surprising for a "sour stout". Looks like a basic RIS.

S - The smell is very interesting. Versus other sour stouts I've had, the stout is very apparent in the nose. Smells more like a fruited stout, with hints of roast, coffee, cherries and raspberries. Smells very good.

T - Excellent. Well integrated stout roast with what tastes more like raspberries and blackberries then sour funk. A little sweet, a little sour, and a little bitter. On the back, some coffee bitterness washes away what sour there was and leaves a sweet aftertaste.

M - Can't find the 9.8% anywhere in this. Extremely drinkable. Almost refreshing for a stout. Not too thick and not too thin for the taste. It's quite juicy.

O - I am completely wowed by this one. Similarities to Lindley Park (although a bit more tart) and Raspberry truffle abduction (each flavor is much more integrated in this). This is definitely not a "sour stout" in flavor. It's more like a mimicked fruited stout. I hope this doesn't stay a one-off.

May 07, 2013
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had purchased this CAN with a number of other Brewery Vivant CANs that I had CANquired in my travels. If you are ever in the Chicagoland and CAN get to one of their locations, Binney's Liquors remains a CANQuest (TM) source nonpareil! This was a score from my most recent visit. It has been in my backlog/queue/rotation since, but today is the day!

From the CAN: "Freshly Brewed in Michi[CAN -] Special Limited Release"; "Tier 3 Single Batch Release"; "BELGIAN INSPIRED DARK FARMHOUSE ALE This hearty dark ale is fermented with our rustic Belgian yeast strain which gives the beer a farmhouse tartness followed by big dark chocolate notes, and hints of black cherries. Fermentation temperatures often climb past 90 [degrees] F which builds the distinctive flavors. No adjuncts are added to this beer - these robust layers of flavor are yeast driven. Listen to that lunatic in your head, dust off that vinyl, pour the beer into a glass and sip your way into a happy, chilled out groove."; "GLASSWARE & PAIRING A goblet or small tulip allows one to quaff the roasty aromas and fully appreciate the farmhouse qualities of this delicious beer. Stilton or blue cheese, charred steak, black cherries & chocolate cake all work magic on your palate when paired with this beer."

As you CAN imagine, I have the 2011 remaster of "Dark Side of the Moon" playing as acCANpanying music as I CANduct this review, beginning with the Crack! A vigorous in-glass swirl raised a brief finger of foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head that hung in for a while and then suddenly became wisps. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing precisely ZERO light penetration. Nose had an intense charcoal smokiness, underlain by a leathery smell along with notes of dark chocolate; dried dark stone fruits; a subtle nuttiness & blackberries (!). Mouthfeel was unexpectedly big, full, thick & creamy, like a dollop had been scooped onto my tongue. I was really surprised by this and it kind of gave me pause. The taste was very variegated with my initial thoughts being a Cadbury Fruit & Nut Chocolate bar, but made with Dark, rather than Milk Chocolate and then the smokiness began to set in, followed by a slight tartness, like persimmon. Wow! It was on the finish that I really began to sense the tartness, especially along my jaws, underneath my ears, at the hinge. I generally do not like Tart and/or Sour beers, but this garnered a pleasant reaction for me. The smokiness really began to permeate my sinus cavity and after a period, I could not taste much more than some and tart. Where was the alcohol? In mah feckin' haid, that's where, ye daft c**t! F**ksake, it came out of nowhere, like I had fallen asleep on the tracks, only to be awakened by the approach of a fully-loaded freight train! Oi! If several of their previous offerings had been dangerous, this was downright deadly!

Apr 30, 2016

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Mar 15, 2013
tectactoe from Michigan

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Kevin for sharing one of these. Saves me having to gamble on a four-pack myself... Never know how sour-dark beers are gonna turn out, but I was excited for this one. Pours a dark and deep black color with some shimmering ruby-red peeking through and outlining the glass, only when held directly to the light. The cap is fine-bubbled, tan, and creamy, showing decent retention.

Aroma starts off with a bit roasty malts first and foremost. A mellow combination of tart and sweet outlines the edges of the roast; grapes, cherries, raspberries, apple skins. Despite the undeniable tart fruit notes, the roast never looses its mojo, though it's a softer and mellow type of roast rather than being over-the-top heavy; no real char or smoke here. Some subtle coffee notes, not getting much chocolate - maybe just a very, very small hint of cocoa powder, but I think I'm just stretching for that one. Surprisingly not as complex as I thought it would be. More so just an overlay of some fruity tartness on a body of conservatively roasted malt.

I've got a generic, medium-roast stout in one hand and a generic, tart-but-not-puckering wild ale in my other hand. I can't decide which one to drink first, so I shove both bottlenecks into my mouth and down the gullet they both go, side-by-side, flavors of two completely different monsters just attacking my palate at once. Welcome to Tart Side of the Moon. It's like a half sour / half stout, that isn't really that sour and isn't really that stout-y. Mildly tart cherry and apple skins hit first as the tartness quickly fades into more of a sweetness than anything.

It mellows out with a substantial dryness as the malts catch back up; roasted malts, coffee beans, faint cocoa. The whole thing kind of dies down into a creamy, roasted coffee coating that covers your mouth with an abbreviated cherry sweetness to it. Like using Amaretto flavored cream in your coffee. I also pick up some mild oak flavors in the finish that weren't found anywhere else. Medium bodied, thinner than expected with ample carbonation and a slick, oily mouth feel.

I'm still not too sure how I feel about sour stouts. This one wasn't bad, but it didn't blow my socks off or anything like that. It was good, but I don't know if I'd ever buy a four-pack myself. It's hard to get roasted and sour flavors to play nicely together. This beer was a solid attempt, and has kept my hope alive for advancement in the style, but it's not gonna be the one that swoons me for life. Definitely worth a try, though.

EDIT: 4/1/2013

After having had this a few more times from the can and once more on tap at Vivant, I feel compelled to bump the score up. The beer is still very enigmatic to me, completely explainable at times. Sometimes it's more sour than stout. Sometimes it's more stout than sour. But maybe that's part of the appeal. Whatever it is, something keeps bringing me back, and that's gotta count for something, right? I wonder how these will age.

EDIT: 4/29/2013

Again, every time I have this, I like it more and more. This time on tap at the Twisted Rooster. The roast was a little more subtle, allowing the tart flavors to stand out a bit more. Still never became overwhelming with tartness, though - very well balanced. Is the variation on this beer strong, or is age beginning to work its magic? I guess only some more time will tell. But I have to bump up the score a bit more. I enjoyed this last pint very much. Smell was a bit more damp and musty but the flavor was great.

Mar 21, 2013

smartassboiler from Illinois

Dec 21, 2014
fordyrock from Pennsylvania

3.76/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Jan 06, 2015
hopazoid from Minnesota

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Apr 22, 2013
robhbest from Michigan

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into tulip glass from 16 oz can.

A: Pours a dark brownish black with 2 finger caramel colored head which fades quickly.

S: Rasberries, cherries, sours fruits.

T: Dark chocolate, cherries, sourness at the end with roasted malts.

M: Medium to heavy bodied. Leaves the mouth wet.

O: This is a completely different beer than what I'm expecting. I think Vivant may have said the same thing too. Its sweet, bitter and sour at the same time. Interesting beer.

Mar 10, 2013
Dactrius from Wisconsin

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Jun 03, 2018