Tart Side Of The Moon | Brewery Vivant

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by jmunsters on 03-06-2013

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours from the 16oz can black with a thin head that removes itself quickly with little lacing. Smells of tart cherry, roasted coffee and unripe berries. Carbonation is moderate and the brew is a bit thick with a hint of alcohol.

Taste is tart cherry, roasted dark chocolate, coffee and green berries. Leaves the mouth a bit dry after, but the higher ABV is hidden well behind it all. A hint of brett gives a little funky farmhouse to the nose. The dryness almost feels like very fine cocoa dust left on your tongue which could be good or bad to a person. I down rated mouthfeel because of this personally.

Overall I was pretty hesitant paying $4.50 a pint for what was a mishap, but this was an awesome accident. This is going to stick as a favorite and I hope they choose to try for this again.

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

Quite dark, full, and delicious. Not too tart, just tart enough.

4.68/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had purchased this CAN with a number of other Brewery Vivant CANs that I had CANquired in my travels. If you are ever in the Chicagoland and CAN get to one of their locations, Binney's Liquors remains a CANQuest (TM) source nonpareil! This was a score from my most recent visit. It has been in my backlog/queue/rotation since, but today is the day!

From the CAN: "Freshly Brewed in Michi[CAN -] Special Limited Release"; "Tier 3 Single Batch Release"; "BELGIAN INSPIRED DARK FARMHOUSE ALE This hearty dark ale is fermented with our rustic Belgian yeast strain which gives the beer a farmhouse tartness followed by big dark chocolate notes, and hints of black cherries. Fermentation temperatures often climb past 90 [degrees] F which builds the distinctive flavors. No adjuncts are added to this beer - these robust layers of flavor are yeast driven. Listen to that lunatic in your head, dust off that vinyl, pour the beer into a glass and sip your way into a happy, chilled out groove."; "GLASSWARE & PAIRING A goblet or small tulip allows one to quaff the roasty aromas and fully appreciate the farmhouse qualities of this delicious beer. Stilton or blue cheese, charred steak, black cherries & chocolate cake all work magic on your palate when paired with this beer."

As you CAN imagine, I have the 2011 remaster of "Dark Side of the Moon" playing as acCANpanying music as I CANduct this review, beginning with the Crack! A vigorous in-glass swirl raised a brief finger of foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head that hung in for a while and then suddenly became wisps. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing precisely ZERO light penetration. Nose had an intense charcoal smokiness, underlain by a leathery smell along with notes of dark chocolate; dried dark stone fruits; a subtle nuttiness & blackberries (!). Mouthfeel was unexpectedly big, full, thick & creamy, like a dollop had been scooped onto my tongue. I was really surprised by this and it kind of gave me pause. The taste was very variegated with my initial thoughts being a Cadbury Fruit & Nut Chocolate bar, but made with Dark, rather than Milk Chocolate and then the smokiness began to set in, followed by a slight tartness, like persimmon. Wow! It was on the finish that I really began to sense the tartness, especially along my jaws, underneath my ears, at the hinge. I generally do not like Tart and/or Sour beers, but this garnered a pleasant reaction for me. The smokiness really began to permeate my sinus cavity and after a period, I could not taste much more than some and tart. Where was the alcohol? In mah feckin' haid, that's where, ye daft c**t! F**ksake, it came out of nowhere, like I had fallen asleep on the tracks, only to be awakened by the approach of a fully-loaded freight train! Oi! If several of their previous offerings had been dangerous, this was downright deadly!

4.61/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Can poured into snifter

A - Pours a deep black with a slight reddish hue when held to the light. Minimal carbonation, which is surprising for a "sour stout". Looks like a basic RIS.

S - The smell is very interesting. Versus other sour stouts I've had, the stout is very apparent in the nose. Smells more like a fruited stout, with hints of roast, coffee, cherries and raspberries. Smells very good.

T - Excellent. Well integrated stout roast with what tastes more like raspberries and blackberries then sour funk. A little sweet, a little sour, and a little bitter. On the back, some coffee bitterness washes away what sour there was and leaves a sweet aftertaste.

M - Can't find the 9.8% anywhere in this. Extremely drinkable. Almost refreshing for a stout. Not too thick and not too thin for the taste. It's quite juicy.

O - I am completely wowed by this one. Similarities to Lindley Park (although a bit more tart) and Raspberry truffle abduction (each flavor is much more integrated in this). This is definitely not a "sour stout" in flavor. It's more like a mimicked fruited stout. I hope this doesn't stay a one-off.

4.6/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My frame of reference here is Jolly Pumpkin's dark dawn stout , plus a lot of stout drinking in my years. Tart side is in a class of its own. Intense dark chocolate and cherry flavors, toasty malt with burnt candy sugar and an odd hop presence that reminded me of black olives. This was a pleasant surprise, it pours relatively flat and has a cherry red hue at the edge of the glass. The mouthfeel is not too syrupy, with a little bit of life to it that is absent from most heavier stouts. Hats off to vivant for releasing this unique brew.

4.51/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Tart Side Of The Moon from Brewery Vivant