Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) | The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck)Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck)
3.73/5
Good
Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck)Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck)

The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works
Ohio, United States
thebrewkettle.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Formerly called "Ringneck Winter Warmer".

Added by granger10 on 01-15-2004

4.53/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It has a nice rich taste with spices. I tasted cinnamon and some of the orange peel. Really enjoyed this beer.

4.48/5  rDev +20.1%

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Normally I write a big detailed review.
Its just not needed here. This is a near dead ringer Great Lakes Xmas Ale Clone.

The two differences are the winter warmer is a touch understated in the boldness of its spices and sweetness which I think actually improves the drink ability of the beer. I could drink 4+ of these where I'm done at 2 of the Great Lakes.

This is an exceptional clone. I think so highly of it that I actually may brew this one. If/when I do I'll post an update to the my review.

4.29/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's got a 1 finger thick eggshell brown head with spottier lacing, and a medium-dark brown and amber body.

Smells like spiced molasses, indeed. Not much of a hop presence, nor alcohol astringency. I like this , as it 8% abv.

I taste caramelized malts, along with said holiday spices of the usual cinnamon, nutmeg,clove, etc. Again, quite smooth considering the alcohol content of this beer. This also doen't have much hop presence, which I totally fine with. I feel like it would clash elements of smooth roastyness and sharp bitterness. Very nicely done!

This beer's mouthfeel I'm picking up is very clean. Yet again, I'm mainly referring to the 8% abv. I don't know about you, fellow BA's, but I've had winter warmers that could easily have passed as a Scotch ale.

Overall, a 4.25 for Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works. A very smooth-drinking beer, but don't let it get to you, or you'll get hit with a ton of metaphoric bricks when it creeps up on you. I was very impressed and will buy this again.

4.29/5  rDev +15%

12 oz bottle. No freshness info from TBK, which is sad, but if you follow them on facebook, you will get solid updates on when things get released, which is awesome. Poured into snifter - the result looks just like the label photo.

Pours very clear, with no head. This is OK though, and as I'm not going to break down the spice regimen, I can say overall there is a highly suggested "Dr. Pepper" taste. As that particular beverage makes no state of their 23 ingredients, I feel I must treat this brew the same. Very refreshing, thick, wintry mouthfeel, and easy to drink.

I conclude with this: There is another, better-known, more-abundant, more-hyped Christmas beer that comes out in the greater Cleveland area each year. I do not get that beer anymore, but I will *always* purchase TBK Winter Warmer and spread the gospel to those who wish to taste for themselves. This is my favorite.

4.28/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) brewed by ,The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works. This brew has an ABV of 8.0% Now for the pour, this brew pours out a nice brown color with a small white head. The smell is rich with sweetness, grains and malts. This is a vary inviting brew. Winter Warmer has a nice rich taste, you pick up on spices and malts in this brew. This brew has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering in this brew. The mouthfeel is nice, smooth and clean. You can not pick up on the 8.0% of this brew. The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works did a nice job with this one. I would get this brew again.

4.27/5  rDev +14.5%

Served from the bottle into a snifter. The fifth beer of my 2014 twelve beers of Christmas.

A- Poured a very dark raspberry color with a very small off-white soapy head that left no lace.

S- Big cinnamon, ginger, and clove notes with sweet fruity notes of juicy apple and cherry.

T- Huge juicy red apple notes, tart pie cherries, raspberry, tons of fresh cinnamon and clove, some light chocolate notes.

M- Medium body, some warming, and soft carbonation.

O- Wow, I was really impressed with this Christmas ale. It was bursting with surprising juicy fruit flavors that melded very well with the holiday spices.

4.26/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

4.16/5  rDev +11.5%

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works