Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) | The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

good
Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck)Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck)

The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works
Ohio, United States | website

Style: Winter Warmer

Formerly called "Ringneck Winter Warmer".

Added by granger10 on 01-15-2004

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 38 | Ratings: 139
3.56/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber bottle into a snifter.

A - Beer is a medium amber with red tints and perfectly clear. The head is exceptionally smooth and fluffy and piles inches high when first poured. It fades to a thin layer and lots of lacing.

S - Aroma is of dry grains and holiday spices. Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger? I can't identify all of them, but it smells like pumpkin pie and reminds me of spiced Christmas ales I've had.

T - There is moderate hop bitterness in the backgroun along with some grainy malt, but the spices dominate. I can't taste any yeast or alcohol notes.

M - Moderate body some creaminess from the carbonation. There is just a tiny bit of astringency at the end of the sip that I believe is coming from the spices.

D - This is a nice Christmas beer, but I feel the spices are just a bit heavy-handed. I don't taste any complexity from the malt or other elements because the spices are so up-front.

3.62/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle.

A- Pours a copper red color with a thin white foam head that leaves some lace.

S- Tons of caramel malt and toffee in the nose along with Christmas spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, ginger).

T- A touch boozy initially with a huge wave of spice and sweetness in the finish. Similar to the nose with some light citrus fruits, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger.

M- Medium bodied with low carbonation. A bit syrupy but not quite cloying.

O- A decent winter warmer but maybe a touch over spiced and a bit heavy on the alcohol.

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A very pretty deep amber body with a nice tan head on top.

S - Sweet caramel and tangy dark fruits, touch of vanilla, some light seasonal spices. Borderline artificial, but quite good

T - Smooth and malty. Where is all that complexity from the nose? Very limited fruit and spice profile, mostly just medium roasted malts. It's good, but not as good as the nose. Hint of diacetyl

M - relatively smooth, medium body with a hint of coating

O - I got this beer because I love White Rajah, and wanted to check out more offerings from this brewery. I like it, but am a bit disappointed by this. It's hard to live up to such a great beer, so I shouldn't be too upset. It's a fine beer, but a bit lacking.

4.29/5  rDev +15.6%

12 oz bottle. No freshness info from TBK, which is sad, but if you follow them on facebook, you will get solid updates on when things get released, which is awesome. Poured into snifter - the result looks just like the label photo.

Pours very clear, with no head. This is OK though, and as I'm not going to break down the spice regimen, I can say overall there is a highly suggested "Dr. Pepper" taste. As that particular beverage makes no state of their 23 ingredients, I feel I must treat this brew the same. Very refreshing, thick, wintry mouthfeel, and easy to drink.

I conclude with this: There is another, better-known, more-abundant, more-hyped Christmas beer that comes out in the greater Cleveland area each year. I do not get that beer anymore, but I will *always* purchase TBK Winter Warmer and spread the gospel to those who wish to taste for themselves. This is my favorite.

4.28/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) brewed by ,The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works. This brew has an ABV of 8.0% Now for the pour, this brew pours out a nice brown color with a small white head. The smell is rich with sweetness, grains and malts. This is a vary inviting brew. Winter Warmer has a nice rich taste, you pick up on spices and malts in this brew. This brew has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering in this brew. The mouthfeel is nice, smooth and clean. You can not pick up on the 8.0% of this brew. The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works did a nice job with this one. I would get this brew again.

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured a thin head, less than half a finger. A foamy ring sits on top of a deep rosy copper body. No lacing.

Cinnamon and ginger with malt are the backbone of the nose. There are also hints of dark fruit and citrus.

Cinnamon, ginger and malt start up the taste much like the nose. Hints of dark fruit and citrus follow, although these are infused with honey. Slight spiced ending is a little bitter.

Mouthfeel is straight medium bodied. Carbonation at a good level. Slight coating of the tongue noticed.

4.29/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's got a 1 finger thick eggshell brown head with spottier lacing, and a medium-dark brown and amber body.

Smells like spiced molasses, indeed. Not much of a hop presence, nor alcohol astringency. I like this , as it 8% abv.

I taste caramelized malts, along with said holiday spices of the usual cinnamon, nutmeg,clove, etc. Again, quite smooth considering the alcohol content of this beer. This also doen't have much hop presence, which I totally fine with. I feel like it would clash elements of smooth roastyness and sharp bitterness. Very nicely done!

This beer's mouthfeel I'm picking up is very clean. Yet again, I'm mainly referring to the 8% abv. I don't know about you, fellow BA's, but I've had winter warmers that could easily have passed as a Scotch ale.

Overall, a 4.25 for Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works. A very smooth-drinking beer, but don't let it get to you, or you'll get hit with a ton of metaphoric bricks when it creeps up on you. I was very impressed and will buy this again.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Normally I write a big detailed review.
Its just not needed here. This is a near dead ringer Great Lakes Xmas Ale Clone.

The two differences are the winter warmer is a touch understated in the boldness of its spices and sweetness which I think actually improves the drink ability of the beer. I could drink 4+ of these where I'm done at 2 of the Great Lakes.

This is an exceptional clone. I think so highly of it that I actually may brew this one. If/when I do I'll post an update to the my review.

3.81/5  rDev +2.7%

Color is on the darker side of amber. Aroma is more citrus and less spice than I anticipated. The taste leans on the citrus side, too. Lots of orange and even some lemon peel. Spices are noticeable in the background with cinnamon and fresh ginger. In this, the warmth comes not from the spices, but from the 8% ABV. The booze in this one will sneak up on you!

Haven't had a Winter Warmer quite like this. Definitely citrus dominant rather than spice dominant, but it's rather tasty.

3.06/5  rDev -17.5%

Fairly tame. I'm really not tasting spices at all. It's just a mellow beer with very slight hop bite. Very mild hints of cinnamon perhaps ... but that's all I get from this one. Interestingly it is "warming". Maybe the spices (which I can't taste) are having an effect. Hmm ... a mystery.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance - dark copper/red color. No head at all.

Smell - malty spices smells quite delicious.

Taste - a nice refreshing taste. Spices aren't as strong as in the smell.

Mouthfeel - good

Overall - a nice refreshing winter warmer. This wasn't too strong alcohol wise either so I feel I can drink a lot of them!

3.97/5  rDev +7%

First time trying the Brew Kettle Winter Warmer and I am pleasantly surprised because I've never had a beer by this brewery that wasn't amazing! The same brewery tha has created White Rajah, Black Rajah, Kitka, and El Lupo Libre! All amazing beers and you can add this Christmas style winter warmer to that list as well. Amber in color and very light head and little to no lacing. Bursting with aroma and flavor of Christmas including honey, cinnamon, and a light orange/lemon citrus flavor on the back end. Very solid beer and I will for sure try this again next holiday season.

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Nice brown with a tint of red.
S: This is what a beer is supposed to smell like. Very strong Ale-y scent, but not overwhelmingly christmas-y.
T: Not very hoppy, but that is good for an Ale like this. you can taste the orange and honey.
F: Smooth and heavy. Perfect for relaxing by the fire or watching the game.
O: An Above Average Xmas Ale in my book!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works