Ringneck Punkinhead | The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

Availability: Fall

Added by mcallister on 10-07-2006

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 6
3.95/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Dark orange with a scarlet twinge. No head which again I think is a culprit of the pour. Very clean and clear looking.

Nice aromas but I like something a tad more pumpkin forward. This one has slightly too much spice for my liking. A heavy dose of all spice and nutmeg, with sublte cinammon aromas, pumpkin of course and some toffee malt.

One thing I'm finding out about this brewery is the uniqueness of these beers. Mouthfeel is lush, full, and complex. Flavors are complex and like the Chiefs Rye slightly out of balance. But it could just be that I've never had this style of brewing before. Rich in your face all spice, and nutmeg with a steady helping of pumpkin and toffee malt to balance the spice. A great effort at a pumpkin ale. So rich it could be hard to drink many of these.

2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

RN Punkinhead Poured from tap into a clean, clear glass at The Brew Kettle earlier tonight.

A Translucent Pumpkin color with not much of a head that dissipates really quickly. Kind of average look I would say.

S Suprisingly, not much smell at all. Repeated smells revealed maybe some distant hops.

T Again, suprisingly, not much taste, certainly not of pumpkin. There were some distant hops. I did not taste the cinnamon, allspice or clove mentioned in the brewery beer list and description.

M Thin to moderate. Probably true to style though.

D Fine I guess but I was really not impressed with this beer and so I do not think that I would order a second one.

Notes: Probably my least favorite Ringneck beer to date.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

On tap at Brew Kettle.

Poured a clear dark orange color with an average frothy off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing.

Moderate to heavy Pumpkin and allspice aroma.

Medium body with a smooth texture and soft carbonation.

Medium to heavy pumpkin & spice sweet flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate duration.

Refreshing brew that was better than my expectations.

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

I was glad to see Brew Kettle still serving a pumpkin beer during my visit in late December...seems like a lot of brewers plan to sell out of pumpkin beer by Thanksgiving, and to me the flavor is appropriate through the new year. This one is a touch light on the pumpkin and maybe too light in the body, but is nonetheless a very solid beer with lots of nutmeg and other spice.

Appearance-wise, it looked a great deal like the Chief's Rye - not quite colorful enough in the amber body, and with a medium amount of head. Aroma was very spicy, but both the aroma and taste led me to doubt the inclusion of actual pumpkin in the recipe, although the menu said it was in there. Flavor was more spice than pumpkin, with lots of nutmeg and I thought it pretty good. Mouthfeel was pretty good. A nice beer.

I would recommend this beer. I had it on-tap at the Brew Kettle in Strongsville.

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

Review written from notes as I had this back when I visited the Brew Kettle in late October of last year. Served in a standard pint glass, this beer is a clear,medium to dark amber color. The white head was maybe 1/4 inch when served, eventually settling to a thin white ring lining the inside of the glass with little lace and then settled to nothing at all-no lace or trace of a head at all. Has a pumpkin spice aroma along with nutmeg and cinnamon as well. A pumpkin spice flavor is present as well obviously, along with the aforementioned nutmeg and spice and some malty caramel sweetness as well. No hops detectable to this palate here. Has a crisp, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Not a bad beer at all, but I have had better pumpkin ales.

Eric

Ringneck Punkinhead from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works