Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by nrbw23 on 06-13-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 52 | Ratings: 106
3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

22oz bottle, purchased @ Rozi's.

After missing this at the Fat Heads Brewers Brawl, then missing it AGAIN at the Kettle, I was thrilled to hear it had been bottled.

Into my snifter. Pours a dark opaque black, if you gave this to BP they would spill it in the Gulf. Small tan head sticks around, looks great!

Smell is dark fruit, chocolate, and other roasty flavors. Smells sweet and perhaps a touch boozy, but pretty good so far.

Well, I don't hate it. Sweet chocolate syrup, roasted coffee, bittersweet dark chocolate, and cherry are all present and balanced, but there's a slight tar taste I find distracting. Don't get me wrong, this is a good beer and I would have it again, but its profile just doesn't match *my* flavor preferences for a RIS. This would probably be someone else's favorite in the world - and I do think a nice bourbon barrel treatment would make this quite amazing. Actually, TBK, PLEASE do a bourbon barrel of this for Ogrefest next year. I'll be first in line!

Mouthfeel is really nice, body is full and carb is so creamy and perfect. And this drinks quite well even though I don't love one component of the taste. It's growing on me, and I'm very happy this is another balls to the wall no sell out offering from the Brew Kettle. Big ups!

A- Pours a pitch black color with a nice brown head. Head has great retention and leaves some nice layered lacing.

S- Smells very fruity to start off with. Mainly dark fruits, cherries, raisins and plums. Followed up by a good amount of roasted malts, chocolate and coffee.

T- A bit sweeter than I'd like. I thought this one was much better after I let it warm up a bit. Smell followed the nose really well. Tons of dark fruits, roasted malts, and chocolate dominating.

M- Fuller side of medium but nothing super thick. Carbonation was light.

D- Easy to drink just let it warm up a bit.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last