White Rajah | The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works
Ohio, United States
thebrewkettle.com

Style: American IPA

A West Coast style IPA full of citrus-like and tropical fruit like hop flavor and aroma with an assertive yet smooth bitter finish....malt, take a back seat please

Added by jampics2 on 10-18-2010

Ratings: 2,283 |  Reviews: 407
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.56/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Definitely not a favorite from the Brew Kettle.

It poured a clear orange, not hazy like some IPAs with a little amount of head.

The aroma had a strong amount of hops and grapefruit and pineapple.

The taste is where I became disappointed. There was almost no taste of the fruit from the smell, but there was some hop flavor, not a lot and a ton of bitterness. There are notes of grapefruit and citrus, but doesn't compare to the tropical fruit smells in the aroma.

I have heard so many good things about this, but it tasted watered down so it really surprises me. Maybe it was a bad batch.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.44/5  rDev +3.7%

3.55/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From notes. Poured from a growler into a tulip.

White Rajah pours a clear caramel brown color. There is a frothy white head that fades to a thin cap before my glass is done.

The hoppy aroma has a some spicy pine and grapefruit but is fairly mild overall.

Each sip starts slightly sweet before a long, mild, lingering bitterness sets in. Smooth pine has a little bit of spice, and the grapefruit bitterness is more pithy than juicy.

The body is pretty much right in the middle of the spectrum. It feels heavier due to a lack of depth or variation to the flavor. Instead, it just sits on the tongue. The carbonation is on the light side, which only compounds this effect.

This was a drinkable IPA, but there are more robust options out there.

4.39/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Review from notes: 9/4/11
This was a beer that has had some mini hype here in Ohio. Some of my friends have tried it and liked it, so I figured I would rush out and get some when it was released in bottles. This is from their first bottled batch, very fresh (~7 days old), so we'll see how long it stays tasting that way. This was my third bottle. Figured I'd have it a couple times before reviewing.

A - Lighter golden in color, looks filtered. Nice 1.5 inch white head with some lengthy retention. Leaves solid lace. Looks decent, but I can already tell there won't be much malt flavor. Least impressive aspect of the beer, by far.

S - Who needs malts? This is straight up tropical fruit, grapefruit and tangerine, and skunky resinous dank. Mangoes, pineapple, mandarin orange. I can't say I've ever smelled a beer like this, hopwise.

T - A nice balance of pure hop flavor and complementary bittering hops all in one. A true hop bomb. Tropical flavors come in from the nose, grapefruit and orange rind mingle in, skunky resinous hops reside as well. Malts take a huge back seat, as indicated on the bottle. No alcohol until it starts to seriously warm. I'd say this is how the American IPA was meant to taste.

M - Hops oils bombard and coat my mouth with each huge gulp. Bitterness lingers a bit, but just the way it should. Carbonation is where I want it. It's there, but not too awfully much.

O - Hate to be on the hype train, but this beer was awesome. Truly an excellent IPA. Rivals Columbus IPA for the best tasting IPA in Ohio (IMO). Hope BK makes this one a regular in their lineup. It's damn near the best IPA I've ever tasted. Like I said, we'll see how it holds up over the next couple months. Oh nevermind, I won't have it that long.

9/27/2011 Notes:
After reevaluating this beer a couple times since my first review, I have to lower the scores just a tad. The hop aromas and flavors that I remembered have faded quite a lot. I know this is common for IPAs, but I have had some IPAs that held up much better than this one, and it hasn't even been 3 weeks. Again, when this beer was a week old, it was hard for me to say I tasted a better IPA, but at this point in the life of this beer, it isn't doing quite as good. Don't get me wrong, it's still in the top 3 IPAs I've had, but it just isn't holding up like I wanted.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Aroma: Powdery lemon zest, oranges, and floral hop notes pop out of the glass. Powerful and aggressive American hop aromatics that continue to remind me of candied oranges. Minimal sweet caramel malt aroma blends with the citrusy hop aromatics. Clean fermentation character.

Appearance: Crystal clear amber pour with straw highlights. Low bone white head that retains well.

Flavor: Aggressive leafy and resiny citrus hop punch with notes of lemon, orange, and orange rind. Balance is to the hop bitterness. Finish is bone dry and aftertaste is clean but bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly oily, and medium-high carbonation. No alcohol heat.

Overall impression: West coast, easy drinking, back loaded hop blast IPA. Really good beer that is easy drinking and continues to demonstrate that the Midwest can crank out some good hoppy beers.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%

this one looks nice. beautiful head just off white, very sticky. Nice deep brown red and gold color and vibrant carbonation. Nose is very oily and pine like. Hops in the background. Taste is hops in the front but the back and aftertaste are sweet maltiness. Cloves and spices. Somewhat buttery taste and feel. I like it a lot.

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

White Rajah from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works