White Rajah | The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works
Ohio, United States
thebrewkettle.com

Style: American IPA

A West Coast style IPA full of citrus-like and tropical fruit like hop flavor and aroma with an assertive yet smooth bitter finish....malt, take a back seat please

Added by jampics2 on 10-18-2010

#539

Ratings: 2,292 |  Reviews: 411

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

I was nervous that the "white" in the title was going to be another typical Belgian style IPA.....NO....this beer is very very good. It poured a copper clear with white head that left a spotty lace. The scent had nice orange peel spice. The taste reflected the scent but had touches of pine as well. The mouthfeel was medium in body with good carbonation. Overall....yeah its that good...definitely worth a taste.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

The beer appears orange and fairly hazy. The head is pure white and measures about a quarter inch, leaving ample lacing on the walls of the pint glass. The aroma is quite nice, with notes of grapefruit and pine resin. The flavor brings a healthy bitterness, with lingering tangy grapefruit in the finish. The body is thin, even a bit watery. Overall, a very good beer. I would certainly have this again.

3.99/5  rDev -7.2%

Pint at the Winking Lizard Cleveland
Slightly hazy orange amber with a decent tightly bubbled off white head that persists. citrus and tropical with plenty of pine and a bit of biscuity malt to counter. Pretty tasty.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a tulip pint. The brew appears a pale golden copper color with white cap. Smells hoppy with citrus and pith/pulp character. Tastes bitter and rindy with a mild fruity character, resinous and somewhat floral. This is medium in body with modest carbonation. Overall pretty nice, easy drinking stuff.

I've been drinking this for the better part of the day, okay I've only had like three or four but they're incredible. I loved the beer on tap but the bottles as fresh as these must be amazing. Please let my local store get a steady supply of these why would I want other beers when this is coming in to the area.

First off when you crack a bottle the aroma comes out and sprays you with hop love. Poured into a glass it appears as deep orange nearly copper color with a bright white head forming thick head. I bought two of the four sixpacks without hesitating, I should have grabbed a whole case at $10.99 a sixer. Anyways I've got my cousin going in tomorrow to get the rest of the beers left.

Aroma is full of grapefruit citrus peel and pineapple tropical fruit notes maybe a hint of pine cones and floral notes but it's simply hoppy as hell with the new Citra hops that have been used in most of this years hoppy must have beers. Fresh cut hops greener than most of the the ads and tax benefits of this year. Reminds me of year of the Simcoe, and year of the Amarillo hops in the past ten years. I welcome each new craze that adds to a hophead palate, I must be spoiled to be 29 yrs old and have experienced at least three to four hop crazy years.

Year of the Citra is no different and much welcomed this beer warmed up tastes great, like a clean sugar coated hop train diving down into an abyss of semi sweet coated sugars, that leave a balanced tropical/grapefruit sugar balance from the bittering aspects of the malts, wthat a great beer that is recognized as good no matter who the audience is. The damn popular kid in the class, either way there's different strokes for different folks, and most people enjoy this type of beer. White Rajah is dangerous for me and like I said since I've been drinking this the better part of the day somebody better tell me when, I'm starting to misstype, other than that quality an awesome all around hoppy offering.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a mellow carbonation ample but not overdone or in your face carrying along with it a nice resinous hop oil texture that carries each sip. Overall impression is indefinitely a good one, I can't compare this to anything I dislike, so in short this is the best part of every hoppy beer I currently enjoy.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Holy nose! I took a whiff of this thing right off the pour and it was super resin. Flavor is very much the same. Strong tones of it. Whew! Meaty this beer is (read that in a Yoda voice). Just wads of pine on top of gobs of it. And I like it. Smooth feel. I found Columbus IPA and this one at the same store and felt pretty lucky. In the end, I think this one wins the battle of the Ohio IPA heavyweights.

White Rajah from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works