Zwickel | Urban Chestnut Brewing Company - Midtown Brewery & Biergarten

Urban Chestnut Brewing Company - Midtown Brewery & Biergarten
Missouri, United States
urbanchestnut.com

Style: Kellerbier / Zwickelbier

Our flagship lager, pronounced ‘zv-ick-el’, is an unfiltered, unpasteurized, German classic that finishes as a smooth-drinking, vitamin rich (from the yeast), naturally cloudy bier.

Added by Rifugium on 06-20-2011

1.5/5  rDev -61.2%

I had this for the first time after drinking mass market american lagers so I reserved my opinion until I could taste it on a clean tongue.

Perhaps I had a bad batch here but I find this to be undrinkable swill. It has a thick cloying heavy moutfeel, with an estery and phenolic finish. The more I drink it, the more I dislike it. Tastes like a hot fermented amateur home brew cream ale. The only positive quality is that it has great head.

I'll try it again in the future and change my rating if it's any different, but suffice to say I'm very disappointed.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Kaiser Tiger in Chicago. Maybe there was a tap line issue, because this was not impressive. Could have passed as a domestic macro.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.77/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I picked this one up on a trade. It was pretty unexciting really. I have a few more from this brewery but this one was a run of the mill lager.

Appearance: What you would expect from a lager. Golden foamy quintessential "beer" appearance.

Smell: Not much going on here, some malts grassy notes, some bready notes in there but fairly mild.

Taste: Blah, it really isn't all that great. I think AAL' almost do a better job of this style. It was not really all that tasty,It was a foamy soapy tasting mess.

Overall: Not impressed with this one. I wouldn't seek it out again. But then again I am not crazy about the style to begin with.

2.86/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.87/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.50] This can has no info. No date no ABV. The beer itself forms 3 fingers of FAT and dense white head. The head is totally uniform. The beer is a murky lemonade color.

S: [2.75] Something herbal and pungent. Early on there was something that reminded me of melting plastic but it faded.

T: [2.75] Corn, bread, some mild clove (deeper on the aftertaste and again it comes across as something plastic).

M: [3.50] Nice crisp body and carbonation.

O: [2.75] Every 3rd sniff/sip the yeast goes from clove to something synthetic and bad. I found drinking from the can helped (due to smelling the beer less). Maybe this is a bad batch? I am not a huge fan at all.

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

Golden hued with great clarity. Minimal head. Aroma is slightly nutty with a bit of pale malt. Mouthfeel is salty and light. Flavor is strong in terms of light malt and somewhat salty and buttery. There's just something underwhelming here. This is not one of my favorites.

2.89/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

2.98/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served in a tumbler.

Not sure where he got it, but my boy Matt hooked me up with a bottle o' this stuff during our last get-together. It pours a cloudy straw topped by a finger of lightly cream-white foam. The nose comprises cracked wheat, light biscuit, and grass. The taste brings in more of the same, but everything comes through dry, listless, and strangely bitter (that isn't to say that the bitterness was necessarily unexpected, but rather it was unexpectedly expressed). The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, an okay beer, but it just didn't sit too well with me (nor with anyone else present).

Zwickel from Urban Chestnut Brewing Company - Midtown Brewery & Biergarten