O-Katz (Oachkatzlschwoaf) Oktoberfest Lager | Urban Chestnut Brewing Company - Midtown Brewery & Biergarten

O-Katz (Oachkatzlschwoaf) Oktoberfest LagerO-Katz (Oachkatzlschwoaf) Oktoberfest Lager
3.82/5
Very Good

Urban Chestnut Brewing Company - Midtown Brewery & Biergarten
Missouri, United States
urbanchestnut.com

Style: German Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

This “export” style lager, brewed for our annual Oktoberfest celebration, is malty yet well balanced like the bier traditionally served at Oktoberfest in Munich. However, our Festbier has a tale/tail of its own–Oachkatzlschwoaf (pronounced “o-cat-zel-schwof”) translated is “tail of a squirrel”…just a little Bavarian humor.

Added by JoEBoBpr on 09-06-2013

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Coppery amber. Lots of head, persistent, rocky, and foamy. Sensing a decent amount of hops on the nose. Clover covered medicinal and herbal flavor. Or, otherwise, extremely toasted, like a burnt walnut skin. Initially, some caramel and deeper toffee sweetness. However, it doesn't finish like that very often, but when it hits its sublime.

3.74/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%

I am working my way through a CANTrade (tm) with/from @jkblr & while I began my reviews during New Beer Sunday (Week 715), I ran out of time & steam that day. I am picking up where I left off with the Lagers out of his box, before moving on to the Ales. He did a really nice job in selecting a range of styles for me to review.

From the CAN: "

My eagle eyes noted that this was one of those CANfounded 360-degree opening CANs in which the entire lid peels away, rather than Crack!ing open. I dislike them since I tend to Glug my beers into an awaiting glass, vice putting my lips in CANtact with metal. They are like a step backwards since the lid then becomes just a metallic shard to be discarded ala the old pull tabs. Grr. Thankfully, Jeff Lebo instructed me on how to bottom-open CANs, which is what I did.

Once I had the vents established, I began what CAN only be described as a Dribble, vice a Glug. It was slow going, but I finally got the CANtents decanted into the awaiting stein. Once again, my patience paid dividends in the form of just under three fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with very good retention that left a load of lacing in its wake. Color was a gorgeous slid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a malty sweetness, like caramel or toffee, but not precisely. It was tempered by the presumed use of Noble hops, giving it a light hay/grassiness. Mmm. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not terribly elevated beyond it, either. I keep saying that such is the norm for a Lager & to expect more is to unnecessarily dun a beer. The taste was quite pleasant, sort of caramel-toffee-like, but with its sweetness very much held in check by the hops (& maybe even by the yeast). It was one of the drier examples of an Oktoberfest/Märzen biers that I have reviewed/rated. It was to my liking, even if it may not be absolutely true to style. Frankly, I can do without a lot of malty sweetness & I applaud breweries when they rein in the sweetness. I would put the finish as semi-dry, but if you were to say "semi-sweet", I would not argue too loudly. This is a really worthwhile example of the style & the fact that it comes in a CAN makes it even more CANpelling.

3.82/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a snifter. A crystal-clear amber color with a thick and long-lasting white head. Rich, bready and doughy aroma punctuated with floral hops. The taste was also rich - sweet bready malt flavor that was as bright as I have experienced. Floral and lemony hop bitterness in perfect balance. Clean and lively. One of the best in this style I have sampled.

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.22/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.09/5  rDev +7.1%

One of my favorites for Oktoberfests. Pours a nice dark carmel with a slight creamy head that goes away fairly quickly. Some lacing but not long lasting. Nice carbonation with a smooth feel. Rich flavor with a hint of sweetness, but more malt driven. Easy to drink and very satisfying. Poured from 16 oz can into tulip glass.

4.11/5  rDev +7.6%

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

3.97/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.45/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours golden amber in color. I got a nice frothy head on top. On the nose, you’ll get some nice malt, roasted and sweet, but not overly sweet. I’m not getting the floral as much as I was told. On the palate, it is nicely carbonated, medium-to-full body in the mouth and a smooth and creamy.

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

O-Katz (Oachkatzlschwoaf) Oktoberfest Lager from Urban Chestnut Brewing Company - Midtown Brewery & Biergarten