Orange Pollinator

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 7 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by woodychandler:
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.21/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Nice work on the part of The CANQuest (tm)! Creds for the add, the pic & now, the seCANd Rating & the first Review. I CAN work on a Description.

From the CAN: "Brewed with Orange Blossom Honey[,] Orange Puree[,] Lactose Milk Sugar".

I was becoming CANxious so I Crack!ed open the vent & beCAN an inverted Glug since it was a Hefeweizen and cloudiness is the norm. That seemed to work as well as CAN be hoped for as it formed a brief finger of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head before disappearing into wisps. Color was a cloudy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5) & we would have it no other way. Nose was plenty sweet with both orange & the honey being easily discernible. Gee, Honey, are you sure that you are a Hefeweizen?

I say this because some unnamed jagov took me to task for reviewing to (my) taste & not strictly to style. Fine. My Review CAN be as subjective as needs be while my Ratings may not reflect my Review, which is why it is SO important to include a review. Who cares about mere numbers without any justification behind them? NOT me! YMMV.

Mouthfeel was medium, about par for the style. The taste was great! It was mainly orange with some honey sweetness and a bit of clove. Understand, I despise Hefeweizens for their banana esters, Here, the orange & honey had paved the way for the clove, which is not only acceptable, but preferred by yours truly. Yum! Man, was this a pleasant surprise on a Summer day! It finished fairly dry and it was very refreshing. I loved the honey/orange/clove CANbination. I would not load the entire beach-bound cooler with it, but a couple of sixers in with some Pilsners, some ciders, some mead … Brother, I'd have the honey-honey bees buzzing all around my hive!

Jul 19, 2018

3.51/5  rDev -10.9%

Nov 06, 2020
peepicheep from Pennsylvania

4.23/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap @ St. Boniface. They must have a color stylist in the brewery. Either that or it's the copper lamps and old time light bulbs. Another beautiful looking beer. The tiniest bit of foam that lasted for a minute. But really, this beer is all about the taste. Sure it's easily identifiable as a Hefeweizen but then there is the honey undertones. I'm putting it on my summer beer list. For those in the Ephrata, PA area your choices are on tap or cans. No growlers.
Second tasting. On tap at Olde Lincoln House in Ephrata (just down the block from St. Boniface). I really wanted to make sure that I liked it as much as I remembered. I do. Though not a limited edition, it has been tricky to come by. Let's just say I'm not the only person in Lancaster County who seems to enjoy it. Yes there is a picture of an orange on the tap handle and yes the citrus flavor is there but in my tasting the honey sweetness comes through very strong. Not a bad thing at all. Just letting you know what to expect. Still on my summer beer list.

Apr 30, 2019
Barleycorn from Pennsylvania

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

Jul 08, 2018
dano213 from Pennsylvania

3.94/5  rDev 0%

16oz can purchased from the fridge as a single for $2.99. Canned on 8/13/2020, so this is almost 3 months old.

Look: Very hazy golden orange color. Nice head upon pour but dissipated to almost nothing.

Smell: Predominant aroma of clove up front on the nose. The can doesn't say anything about clove or spices, so this element could be coming from the wheat. Also honey sweetness on the nose.

Taste: A tasty, albeit untraditional, hefeiweizen. Up front, very sweet, orange notes, and and a bit tangy. The carbonation brings the medium bodied wheat beer through the palate quickly. The finish is more sweetness, orange, honey, a bit of spiciness, and lots of clove lingering on the palate. It's somewhat crisp and quite refreshing. I cannot really detect that there is lactose in here.

Feel: Medium mouthfeel. Appropriately carbonated.

Overall: An interesting hefeweizen beer. It's been a while since I had one, so it's hard to say how it compares with a more traditional example. The additions of the orange puree and orange blossom honey along with the strong clove note really work well together and it's good that the beer is 5.5% ABV and very drinkable. I like it, it's a nice seasonal offering.

Nov 10, 2020
drh88 from Pennsylvania

4.16/5  rDev +5.6%

An interesting take on a Hefe. Flavored with honey and orange, but these flavors were only noticeable to me in the taste. The aroma is very much like a regular hefeweizen. The flavors work well with this beer and it is quite enjoyable.

Jul 06, 2019