Porter | Port City Brewing

portcitybrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by AndrewNations on 02-12-2011

4.9/5  rDev +21.3%

I'm not a porter guy. I got this at a Friday night wine, beer and music thing by my apartment. It was 95 degrees outside, not exactly porter weather. Still drank three. It was that good.

4.9/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a dark brown hue with amber highlights. Huge brown, frothy, 3-finger head that slowly dissipates into a solid lace leaving a nice trial down the glass.

S: Strong toasted malt aroma with a solid coffee background. Hints of chocolate malt and caramel in the background.

T: Smooth coffee flavor with a great toasted malt background and caramel mixed in.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Excellent porter! Really smooth with great flavors and aromas.

4.81/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer was pitch black/motor oil color. Nose reminds me of a good cup of espresso, some dark chocolate, and dark malts. The best thing was the hop character being pronounced. The malt didn't take everything over and leaving the hops as an afterthought. Not too sweet either which is good because I am sensitive to things being advertised as sweet as it would be probably too sweet for me.

some cocoa aftertaste. medium bodied. Good carbonation.

An excellent porter and will definitely have again.

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%

On draft at Union St.
A perfect black with a dark khaki head that just hangs out. Lacing normally found in awesome west coast IPAs
Dark coffee, chocolate on the nose. Potent.
Huge dark chocolate and coffee evenly. A touch of hop to balance and perfect carbonation. Medium full to full bodied.
This is what I want in a porter. I thought I'd had some awesome porters, but this sets a new bar. A must try.

4.67/5  rDev +15.6%

I just realized that I live within a mile of this brewery (I'm new to the area) and figured I would give it a try. Picked up a six pack of the porter at Rick's. Pours an opaque black with a thick brown head that slowwwwly drops and leaves plenty of lacing. The smell is roasted coffee and graham cracker with a little bit of vanilla. Definitely has me excited for my first sip. The taste is everything I want out of a porter. Its complex but balanced with a toasted darkness that is warm and welcoming. Finishes slightly bitter. Alcohol is mostly masked except for a little hint at the end that seems to say "aren't I sly." I could easily drink a six pack of this on a cool fall night and promptly fall asleep in my chair. That being said it is currently 99 degrees outside and I am still enjoying this beer. Highly recommended.

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with an eighth of a finger of oatmeal-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very roasty and malty. Tons of roasted malt, black pepper, brown sugar and notes of freshly baked pumpernickel bread.

Taste: Delicious! Tons of roasted malt, imparting a slight smokiness, some notes of coffee, brown sugar, and some subtle hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied to slightly chewy, and very smooth, as there is hardly any carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 7.2%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a damn good porter. Nice roasty flavors, balanced with some good sweetness. If you’re a porter fan, you should definitely try it. I’ll certainly keep it as one of my house porters!

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

This is my kind of porter! Served on tap at Galaxy Hut. The appearance is something like a very dark milk stout with the lean wispy head and dark watery consistency, which gave me initial reservations, for that style is not my favorite. However, the smell was perfectly dark malty without going to bitter, roasty, and a bit of sweet caramel to match for a very nice nose. The texture in the mouth is nice and mellow with only subtle carbonation which fits the flavor profile well. The flavors are a fulfilling complement to the nose, and this has to be one of the best porters I've had. In fact it is so smooth I actually don't believe the ABV is what's stated (I thought I heard 6.5%) but if it's even that, it's so well contained in the flavors and texture, it's very impressive. The most drinkable porter I've had.

Session beer or nightcap to a whole series of excellent beer, this Porter can do both and I'm eager to try it again.

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

Tried this at The Chesapeake House on 8th street in Capitol Hill.

A - Black as oil and twice as nice.

S - The smell was an intense melange of raisins, coffee, chocolate and a touch of alcohol. Maybe a little orange peel.

T - An absolutely delicious Porter, though on the sweet end of the scale. Again, raisins, coffee, chocolate, orange and toffee infuse the mouth with rich flavor.

M -Slightly syrupiness, and mild carbonation conspire to create a substantive brew.

O - When I think Porter I think of the dryer varieties, and this is my preference, but Port City's Porter is so rich and complex that it's hard not to come away impressed. A very enjoyable drink.

Porter from Port City Brewing