Monumental IPA | Port City Brewing

good
Read the review
Monumental IPAMonumental IPA

Port City Brewing
Virginia, United States
portcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

DC is known as the City of Monuments, and our Monumental IPA is a fitting tribute. Monumental IPA is distinctive for its complex aromas and flavors, and it strikes a perfect balance between hoppy bitterness and malty sweetness.

Added by Rhettroactive on 02-19-2011

I had this beer on tap at a brick-oven pizza joint in Floyd, Va, and I cannot stop raving about it.
A: Beautiful amber color
S: Surprisingly malty on the nose with a healthy dose of citrus and flowers from the hops.
T: Although this is marketed as an American IPA, I would compare it more to an amber or an English IPA. Reminds me of Sam Smith's India Ale. This beer is not a "beat your f-ing brains in with hops" IPA, and, while I love a good hoppy beer that's going to knock my pants off, this beer is much more of a drinkable, good-with-dinner, kind of balanced ale. It paired wonderfully with my pizza.
M: A rich, creamy mouthfeel--again pretty different from the sharp feel of most IPAs.
I rate this with a 5.0 because I loved it. However, I could see someone getting upset with it because it doesn't really fit the character of a normal American IPA. In fact, the company's website says the beer is "intensely hoppy," which, at 50 IBUs, is blatantly false compared with, say, something I really would consider "intensely hoppy" like Stone Ruination or Moylan Hopsickle. So, maybe it doesn't hold up as a good example of an IPA, but it's still a damn tasty brew.
Finally, this beer is a bargain. I saw it in a beer store in town recently at around $10 for a six pack, which isn't too bad.

4.72/5  rDev +38.4%

4.71/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.57/5  rDev +34%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Very good hops. A bit malty I like a lot. 93/100

4.5/5  rDev +32%

Had this on tap last weekend at the brewery

a- A really beautiful dark copper color, not a lot of persistent head.
s- Great smell coming off of this- complex citrus and resin
t- complex citrus and resin tones dominate the hop characteristics, definitely 50 IBUs with well balanced malt
m-the resiny nature of the hops keeps the beer in the mouth. oily but not in a bad way.
o- definitely worth it.

4.42/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +29%

4.34/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Anyone who doesn't think this one of the best IPAs brewed in the greater DC area either hasn't had it fresh enough or is just biased against local shelf beers. Seriously, I drank this stuff 4 days after it was bottled and I only just barely had time to swallow before my jaw dropped and I would have spilled beer all over.

You like chewy pine? You like refreshing citrus? You like a bittersweet and almost perfect malty hop balance? You like IPAs that don't need 8% alcohol to taste good? Then drink this shot now!

4.33/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Since moving to the DMV area from the Pac. NW, I am always amazed to find a locally produced IPA that rivals those found in Nor. Cal, Oregon,and Wash. I am even more amazed when I find something that is even better than a previous one I've tried.

Port City's Monumental is just that, a monumentally good beer. Wonderful copper orange color. Fragrant and hoppy. A respectable 6.3% but not the least bit boozy. Just a tad more carbonation than usual, but it works.

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

Absolutely fantastic. Hops are almost spilling over with this delicious IPA

Monumental IPA from Port City Brewing