Not Your Mom's Strawberry Rhubarb | Small Town Brewery

Style: Fruit and Field Beer

Added by xdtfx on 10-12-2014

3.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I was recently at yet another doctor's visit to Hershey Medical Center & since my uncle had to take me up since it was a late-afternoon appointment & public trans had shut down for the day, we had wheels. We made a short detour on the way home to Brass Rail Beverage in Campbelltown where I picked up a buncha singles before heading home. This is one of them. I am reservedly excited to try this one since I had seen it in sixers at The Beer & Beverage Shoppe in Manheim Township, but I already had a boatload & I did not want to ask them to break a six just so that I could buy one. On another note, the city's Elementary schools have a Fresh Fruit & Vegetable program where the students are given snacks once or twice a week. I was shocked & horrified when they got rhubarb as a snack one day at the end of SY 2017-'18! Have you ever eaten raw, stand-alone rhubarb? 8=p There is a real reason that it gets paired with strawberries in pies - strawberries cut the intense bitterness of rhubarb while rhubarb lightens the cloying sweetness of strawberry. Don't get me wrong - if they got strawberries as a snack, I would gobble them up myself. I LOVE strawberries! They just do better with rhubarb when baked into a pie. Onward!

From the Bottle: "Small Town Brewery makes specialty beers that utilize unique ingredients with an unmistakable taste of nostalgia"; "Brewed with Madagascar Vanilla"; "This beer is the perfect balance of sweet & tart with real Madagascar vanilla[.]"; "Like Mom's fresh pie[.] every sip takes you home[.]"; "We know you'll enjoy it, we do."

I find a lot of the previous reviews laughably disturbing as these fine people clearly did not get the memo that on this site, WE RATE TO STYLE & NOT TO TASTE! The "Overall" score is your opportunity to dun a beer based on a personal like/dislike basis. The rest is less subjective.

I Pop!ped the cap & began a C-Line pour into the awaiting glass. It fizzed like soda pop, creating the briefest, most ephemeral finger of fizzy white head that I have encountered in quite a while. Bye! 8=( Color was a very clear, light-Pink (SRM = N/A), more towards a Blush than a Rosé, but with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like Strawberry Kool-Aid from when I was a kid! Man, this smelled like a sugar bomb. Still, it smelled like Fruit & that is the Style. Mouthfeel was a bit thin, on the approach to watery. The taste was less sweet than the nose had led me to expect, with a slight tartness that helped to make it more palatable than if it was simply sweet. Also, let me be clear that by "tart", I mean that it had a light puckering quality. I could definitely tell that strawberry was involved & that there was something else to give it a tartness, but the Madagascar vanilla seemed to get lost in the mix. It finished with a semi-sweet/semi-dry fruity spritziness. I won't take up the beer/not beer argument, although the label reads: "BEER brewed with Spices, Other Natural Flavors, and Artificial Color". Would it fare better as an "Herbed/Spiced Beer? I don't know. What I do know is that it was decent & it would make a great refresher on a hot, humid Summer's day. In that instance, I would take them up on their suggestion and "... serve … poured over ice". Nuff said.

2.04/5  rDev -36.8%

This has a crystal clear magenta-pink sparkling wine-like look with an effervescent, sweet soda constitution delivering flavors of strawberry gum.

But this isn't Soda Advocate and I'm just not sure why this is considered beer...just because there is alcohol in it? I don't think so.

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.42/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.16/5  rDev -2.2%

3.28/5  rDev +1.5%

2.47/5  rDev -23.5%

2.34/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a fizzy head that vanishes leaving no lace. Crystal clear pink color. Fierce carbonation and light bodied. Strawberry nose and flavor is dominated with sweet strawberry, some rhubarb. Not a real beer, can't find malt or hops. Part of a mixed 6-pak $9.99, 12oz bottle from Shaw's Supermarket Concord, NH.

3.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.04/5  rDev -5.9%

Small Town Brewery "Not Your Mom's Strawberry Rhubarb"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "0807LX 0119FL" whatever that means
$2 @ Weis, Conshohocken, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Well I certainly wasn't expecting it to be pink, that's interesting. Now I definitely feel like I'm drinking a woman's drink. It's a very light pink, and there's no head at all. Plenty of bubbles are rising to the surface though, just like in a soda pop. OK, so let's see, strawberry, rhubarb, and vanilla - can I smell any of those? No, not really. It's fruity but nothing is really clear, and it's sugary. It looks like soda and it smells like soda. Let's taste it... well there's some strawberry there, and rhubarb, and vanilla, so well done on that count although those flavors are fairly mild. It reminds me a little of Flinstone's vitamins. There are certainly no hops though. This is not beer. It's a malternative. A 5.9% ABV soda pop. I could certainly live without this one, and I think it's the least interesting and least enjoyable out of their entire line-up.

3.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

1.8/5  rDev -44.3%

This beverage pours into a clear pint glass as an extremely pale purple with no head. The aroma is a chemically sweet and manufactured one. The taste isn't much different, and it's difficult to get a mouthfeel on this other than I want it out of my mouth. This isn't a beer, it's an alcoholic beverage closer to a flavored malted beverage.

3.35/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Soda pop with a strawberry rhubarb twist. And not bad. Refreshing. Clears the palate. Even went well with apple pie.
But a beer review? Not from me.

3.09/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Pink. Pink beer. Little to no head. Pink...
S - Strong strawberry, little else. Definitely no discernable vanilla.
T - Very simple, straightforward, strawberry and rhubarb. Cloyingly sweet, pretty much like a fizzy soft drink. Nothing else to speak of.
M - Pretty light bodied, no aftertaste.
O - I was super disappointed by this "beer". I was expecting a bit more of a balance between strawberry, rhubarb, and vanilla. There was none of that. It was drinkable, but that was it's only redeeming quality.

2.24/5  rDev -30.7%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in an oversized, stemless, wine glass

I did not expect it to pours a light shade of purple. It looks like flavors water, which is technically what it is. It has absolutely no head.

It smells like a sugary and sweet with some fruit.

It tastes like a Smirnoff Ice variant. It is a sweet, fruity malternative.

Soda-like mouthfeel

This is not at all what I expected. I need to see a therapist now.

3.18/5  rDev -1.5%

4.43/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

L: Pale pink, which I found to be quite pleasing. Head dissipates almost instantly. Poured from 12 oz bottle into glass.

S: Fruit, berries, strawberry, slight skunky but pleasant smell, less rhubarb

T: Really nice taste. Not so much like a beer, but towards the finish it has a more "light beer" like taste. Level of sweetness could be slightly lessened, but other than that I have no complaints at all. I did not get the spices so much, and less of the rhubarb than strawberry, but I still loved it:

F: Feel great drinking and going down it feels super refreshing. Perfect carbonation. They really nailed how it feels when you drink it

O: Will definitely return to. Probably not so much what you're looking for if you want traditional beer, but it was still fantastic in my mind.

3.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.04/5  rDev -5.9%

2.97/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not Your Mom's Strawberry Rhubarb from Small Town Brewery