Not Your Father's Root Beer (10.7%) | Small Town Brewery

Not Your Father's Root Beer (10.7%)Not Your Father's Root Beer (10.7%)

Small Town Brewery
Illinois, United States
smalltownbrewery.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Not Your Father’s Root Beer 10.7% ABV iteration marks the third nationally distributed product from Small Town Brewery after last year’s rollouts of Not Your Father’s Root Beer 5.9% and Not Your Father’s Ginger Ale. Until now, this higher strength version of Not Your Father’s Root Beer has only been available in limited quantities in the Chicagoland area.

Added by MasterSki on 10-29-2012

4.17/5  rDev +2%

4.31/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This pours fairly dark, with a off white frothy head - 1 finger. The nose is root beer, but also a boozy aroma to it. Moderate thick pouring. The taste is ,well ,root beer, but amped up. Amped up even more than the regular strength NYFRB. This is very good.

3.84/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.43/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.66/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought this because it was severely discounted ($5 for a 22oz bomber). Yes it tastes just like root beer - but the 10.7% abv is extremely noticeable, and it is very sweet just like "real" root beer. The vanilla does help tame the abv a little bit, but yeah, the overbearing sweetness is also giving me diabetes (I had to brush my teeth after drinking it!). Good alternative to wine coolers I guess, but this just tastes like some canned root beer with a few shots of grain alcohol thrown in. Can't see myself revisiting this anytime soon, or ever - my homebrewed 14% abv cherry mead is way more smooth and sophisticated.

4.41/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2.94/5  rDev -28.1%

Looks much better than regular NYFRB. Retains a small head and has okay lacing. Smells boozy but pretty good. Taste is booze, booze, root beer, incredible sweetness, and more harsh booziness. Not a fan. I split a 22 oz bomber with my wife but even half the bottle was way too much to handle, so I make a quick trip to the grocery store for some vanilla ice cream. It was much better that way but I still poured out the last couple of ounces. Simply not worth drinking.

The reason my overall score is lower than any of the individual components is first, that even half a bomber was far more than I wanted, and second, that I still feel horrible several hours after drinking this. Never again.

One more thing - when pouring I didn't pour the entire bottle because near the end there were a couple of big globs that came out (into my glass, not my wife's). Pretty unappetizing and I'm not sure what they were.

4.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.89/5  rDev -4.9%

4.09/5  rDev 0%

3.89/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Here we are on another New Beer Sunday & since everything that I have planned for today comes in a 22-fl oz bottle format, mine will be New Bomber Sunday. I procured this at The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop when it was widely released & set it aside for a moment when the spirit would move me to open it. I guess that today is the day!

From the bottle: "Limited Edition Brew"; "We like to think of it as a dark spiced ale with vanilla and honey."; "Best served chilled or poured in a glass over ice."; "We know you'll enjoy it ... we do."

Once I Pop!ped off the cap, I began a moderately gentle pour as 22-oz is a LOT of liquid to have get out of control. Believe me, that kind of stupidity once caused me to have to purchase a new computer. 8=( It foamed up pretty good, initially, which was cause of alarm until it fell back to for a finger of dense, light-tan head with good retention. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity & garnet highlights. Nose smelled very much like root beer pop, but it came off as really sweet for my taste. Mouthfeel was big, full and creamy, VERY evocative of root beer pop. How does one describe root beer? It has an herbal, root taste, along the lines of sarsaparilla or birch and in this case, the vanilla was also easily discernible. The only thing marring (?) the illusion for me was the burn of the alcohol on the tongue. I realize that it is a relatively high ABV beer, but it was not doing anything to hide it, either. Finish was initially quite sweet, with the sugariness of the honey & the taste of the vanilla really leading the charge, but on the extreme finish, it had a dry warmth as the alcohol seemed to burn in my sinuses. It was a curiosity more than anything else for me, but having satisfied my curiosity, I probably will not be returning to it.

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.62/5  rDev -11.5%