Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Xingu Black Beer | Cervejaria Kaiser

Added by kbub6f on 08-20-2001

Ratings: 1,352 |  Reviews: 601

1.5/5  rDev -56.9%

1.5/5  rDev -56.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.64/5  rDev -52.9%

1.73/5  rDev -50.3%

wow, this beer really kinda sucked .... really failed in every department with the expectation of some good lacing ... holly hunter is a whore ... smells of odd old oil and burnt rainforest ... has a dirty taste to it ... bootsey threw up like ... a crappy brew..

1.75/5  rDev -49.7%

1.82/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I got this in a variety pack from World Market.
This beer poured a nice black color. But there was absolutely no smell at all. It tasted like burnt plastic with a little bit of black licorace taste and a bit of chocolate. Had a watery mouth feel for the type.
Maybe I just got a bad bottle. But this I would not buy again.

1.99/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Dreadful. If Bud heavy was a "black beer," it would be something along the lines of Xingu Black Beer, only with more flavor than Xingu Black Beer. Jet black and very thin with no head. Almost aroma-less, with maybe a little bit of wheat and kind of a sweetish scent. Taste follows suit, with sugar and malt, but somehow no roasted flavor or hops of any kind. Just dead on the tastebuds. Feel is probably the "best" part, as it coats the tongue pleasantly and is well-carbonated, but is indeed very thin. Ordered at a restaurant, waitress saw my face upon consumption and offered to bring me something else. That about sums it up.

2.08/5  rDev -40.2%

12 oz bottle without a freshness date. Pours a near black color with an ample tan foam. Retention is ok, lacing is good.

Nose has most of the typical German schwarzbier characteristics...roasty sweet malt and some black licorice and a hint of nuttiness. Some unexpected fruit pops up as well as a touch of cardboard.

Quite fruity for a lager, sourish notes with some strawberry tartness. Malts are all over the place: from nuts to roast to toffee sweetness. I remember not liking this beer 5 years ago when I first had it, and that feeling continues here. Just does not display any sort of identity and the multitude of flavors does not jive right for me. A sweetly acrid fruit flavor makes me want to pour this down the drain. Ugh, no bueno.

2.08/5  rDev -40.2%

A fizzy, two fingers of latte deposits patchy lacing over a dark brown, almost black beer with red highlights.

Soap dominates the aroma while some toasted malt is in the background, but let's face it, what we have here is a bar of Ivory soap.

Burnt toast takes top billing, albeit marginally, over that soap. Bitterness comes on strong at first, but sweet malt quickly balances it out, however not in a pleasant way. Unfortunately, there is a long, light, bitter finish.

The body is light-to-medium, with a slick texture and prickly carbonation, followed by metallic astringency.

While I am happy to have tried Xingu, I am even more pleased to have only purchased one bottle. My flute glass, however, is recoiling from the experience. Brazil clearly has much more beauty than this beer would suggest to the uninitiated.

Looking at other people's reviews, perhaps I got hold of a clunker. I'll give it another shot, and amend my review, if this one proves to be an anomaly.

2.1/5  rDev -39.7%

2.1/5  rDev -39.7%

Hard to describe this. I can only think that this must have been a bad batch or the water to brew this in Brazil is so different than I am used to that it threw my pallet for a loop. I honestly equate this to Budweiser brewed with funky water. That was my immediate reaction. I will not get it again.

2.12/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: [2.75] Dark black beer that forms 1/4 a finger of tan head. The head is gone instantly. The bottle doesn't list the ABV (4.6% - I looked it up) and there is no visible date code.

S: [2.50] Booze? I smell booze and this beer is 4.6%. Something synthetic and plasticy. Then Cola.

T: [1.75] Cherry cough syrup, rust, plastic.

M: [2.50] Thin and watery.

O: [2.00] When I take medicine I sometimes get this uncontrollable shudder because it is gross. That captures my reaction to this beer. It is not good. It makes me not want to have beer from Brazil again. Terrible. Poured down drain.

2.13/5  rDev -38.8%

Got signed up for the beer of the month club--- so I got a 6 pack of this beer (which is widely distributed and available at nearly every store that I frequent).

Poured into a Pils glass.

Dark, chocolatey body is really a deep red when held up to a light... The dark tan head begins as 1 finger and slowly settles into a frothy film of micro-bubbles with some giant clumps of big soapy suds scattered sporadically. Lacing is actually decent-- chunks and rings hang hard to the side of the glass.

The smell is sweet. Rich, sweet, velvety malts. No noticeable hop notes in the nose... Caramel malt. Lots of it.

The taste is sweet. Very sweet. A little too sweet. Reminds me of Coca Cola-- sugary taste, sticky caramelized sugars that cling to your teeth, very carbonated. This isn't completely awful, but I'd say it isn't good. I had to save a bottle to review-- the others I gave away. I tried this once before, and decoded against reviewing it then... This time, I couldnt resist.

I won't buy this beer. I'm disappointed in the club for having two lousy selections. I'll review the other one soon.

Xingu Black Beer from Cervejaria Kaiser