Saison | Mystic Brewery

Mystic Brewery
Massachusetts, United States
mystic-brewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Mystic Saison is our take on the old Belgian farmhouse ale. Saisons were traditionally brewed for refreshment during the summer months. Light in color, effervescent with a billowy, well-retained head — it is very dry and strongly aromatic with light pepper and pear overtones. Heavier in alcohol at 7% abv, it finishes clean and bright, with a very light bitterness.

Saison is far more a tradition than a style. Made with wine yeast by French speaking people in the ‘grain belt’ of Europe, saison was brewed in winter to slake thirsts of farm workers in summer.

We found that in many ways saison goes far beyond white wines that were in the minds of the old Wallonians. It can be as dry and crisp but far more variable. In Belgium, every farm house had its own saison, influenced by their very own farm and the grains available to them. For Mystic Saison we worked towards the essence of saison.

The Name. Mystic Saison was our first beer and named to reflect the straightforward approach to a “whole field” saison.

Added by rudzud on 09-10-2011

4.67/5  rDev +25.2%

Be suspicious of a beer that gets only A/A+ ratings-- that's what I always say. And judging from the wide swing in review scores, I'd say Mystic has a hit on its hands. My bottle was not overly boozy or sweet-- it was, in fact, one of the best and most creative American saisons I've ever had. Well balanced, fruity, yeasty but not bready; nothing overbearing or fat-handed or adolescently over-hopped; refreshing and not much beyond a hint of booziness. The only thing I'd improve upon is the print on the bottle: it's too small and too dark.

I enthusiastically await future releases.

4.58/5  rDev +22.8%

This beer pours a nice golden yellow color with a huge pillory white head at least three fingers thick. I was not expecting so much carbonation wince the cork did not shoot out when I began to turn it. The Smell is spicey floral slightly sweet with a hint of alcohol and a peppery zing. The flavor follows suit with the yeasty spiceyness coming out in the front followed by a light peppery finish. The mouthfeel is light of medium light with excellent carbonation. Overall this beer is delicious and was a really nice surprise. I would take this beer over saison duping any day

4.51/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a mug.

Thick fluffy white head and a somewhat cloudy red/yellow body. Smells grassy up front. Some lemon and pepper. Some anise flavor. Lemon. Sugar. Herbs. Faint bubblegum. Complex but in a good way. Well carbonated. Dry.

I had this beer as an earlier batch and was not feeling it. Upon trying it a second time around I noticed how pleasant it is. Not the yeast bomb or carbonation nightmare as compared to the first time I tried it.

Try this beer with food, you will appreciate it more. Might save some of these for turkey day.

4.48/5  rDev +20.1%

The much anticipated debut of Mystic Brewery! Found many, many bottles of this at Julio's and picked up a couple as today was the big debut!. Been anxious for this brewery to open and do its thing, even more anxious for some of the big beers. Really glad to see this beer. Batch 001. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Wow, this stuff is great. A massive, billowing three finger head that leaves HUGE clumpy, rocky side lacing slumping down to leave a solid white blanket. Crystal clear dark gold with loads of nucleation going on in this glass. Spectacular.

S - Really nice saison aromas here. Good light funk and belgian yeasts. Super nice light pepper notes. Little bit of fruit on the nose too. The website says pear, and I can definately see that.

T - The more I drink this, the more I like the taste. Starts slightly sweet with a nice solid barnyard funk that is typical for the style. This gives way to a gentle, pleasant peppery spiceness. Intermingling with the spicey pepper is an almost juicy fruit that when I concentrate I definately do get pear. Cracked pepper, pear, back and forth back and forth. Delicious.

M - My only knock on this beer. I find the 7% ABV to be a bit too noticeable with this beer. Good carbonation that gets nice and mellow as it sits. Good dry finish, but again, the ABV is there.

O - Overall, wow. So if this is their staple beer, just what will their limited releases be like? I don't know, but I'm anxious to try them. This beer was great and for the price ($9.99) you honestly can't beat it. This blows Dupont out of the water for that price, and Mystic is in brown bottles to boot! Definately worth seeking out this offering.

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

bottle from brauers in Boston from my awesome girlfriend...
This bottle is beautiful. Very fancy.
pours a cloudy orange color with a ton of head... which was unexpected because I had to pull the cork out, and it made nary a pop.
nose is quite nice... white grape, lemon, and champagne.
Taste is also quite nice, it has been a while since I have muttered anything more than a meh with a saison, but this is quite citrusy, and a bit of a sauvignon blanc, reminds me a bit of the mikkeller sauvignon nelson minus the brett. nice lingering aftertaste.
mouthfeel is quite nice as well, thicker than a normal saison, but it works quite well. this has to be one of the best saisons I have had in a while. Not sure why this is not rated higher. The only thing I can really think of is that it is not a more popular style. Pick one up for sure.

4.45/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Mystic Saison, Batch 001.

I lived in Chelsea for a number of years, and Matt at Berman's told me about this new brewery and showed me the first offering...

Beautiful 750 ml brown bottle, nicely corked and caged. The cork was a chore to extract, finally requiring a plier to torque it out. Surprisingly it released without violence. Early production issues afoot here.

Poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter, released a huge billowy head with delicate bubbles and lacing. Subsequent pours resulted in equally heady effect. The cloudy blond-orange appearance was nice, quite rich-looking for a saison.

Luch aroma pushed out by all this effervescence - a spicy clove-banana phenol were the dominant notes.

Tasting - definitely mild barnyard notes: some straw, slight yeast funk, citrus peel. Alcohol was definitely present, but I thought this was nicely integrated.

Other than the recalcitrant cork, a most worthy first offering, equal in my experience to the release of my ami Jack d'Or.

4.4/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had three examples of this beer, and all three were completely different beers.

All were pretty much the same looking: Awesome bottle appeal, raging carbonation, crazy foamy head and lacing, slightly hazed straw color - light orange hew.

Batch 001 #1- The first one was one of the better examples of an American Belgian Style Saison I've ever had. Foam was mountainous, high carbonation, great farmhouse funk aroma (bright- citrusy/peppery), acidic mouthfeel, refreshing crisp finish. Maltiness, hops and yeast were all working together. Really good balanced beer.

Batch 001 #2 I had another that had true acetone aroma, and a harsh boozy flavor. Hard to get over the off flavors. Four people couldn't finish (or had no interest in) the 750ml bottle. Clearly a botched bottle, and I ignored my opinion of the beer for the BA review.

Batch 002 - My impression of this one was that it was more of an American Farmhouse. Less of a funky yeast character, and far more sweetness. Saisons easily go overboard with sweetness, but this was surprisingly suiting. The beer may have changed with some aging, but I preferred the first on I had.

4.36/5  rDev +16.9%

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

750ml bottle bought somewhere localish. Corked and caged, Batch 004.

Poured into a CCB pub glass, formed a 1 3/4" off-white head over the slightly cloudy golden copper brew. Meringuey head sno-cones above the rim, then collapses oh-so slowly, with sporadic chunky lacing. Aroma is sweet, effervescent, and lightly tart.

Taste starts with spicy sweetness, citrus tart in the middle, light prickly hops through the close, with pronounced lemon. Mouthfeel is smooth, and drinkability is nice. This one comes together great.

4.28/5  rDev +14.7%

4.28/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A seamless and prolific off-white head lies patiently on top of a ruddy-orange brew.

Big notes of Orange, white grapes and Belgian yeast followed by lesser notes of pear, lemon and other somewhat sour, light fruits to the nose.

More strong notes of orange and lemon up front with layers of Belgian yeast mixed with a slight fruity funk, and finishing with a peppery background that also includes some butterscotch and burnt sugar way down low.

Medium bodied and not as crisp as expected, with a hint of creaminess in the middle and some heat at the back.

Having a hard time pacing myself with this underrated but flavorful and potent brew.

Saison from Mystic Brewery