Saison | Mystic Brewery

Mystic Brewery
Massachusetts, United States
mystic-brewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Mystic Saison is our take on the old Belgian farmhouse ale. Saisons were traditionally brewed for refreshment during the summer months. Light in color, effervescent with a billowy, well-retained head — it is very dry and strongly aromatic with light pepper and pear overtones. Heavier in alcohol at 7% abv, it finishes clean and bright, with a very light bitterness.

Saison is far more a tradition than a style. Made with wine yeast by French speaking people in the ‘grain belt’ of Europe, saison was brewed in winter to slake thirsts of farm workers in summer.

We found that in many ways saison goes far beyond white wines that were in the minds of the old Wallonians. It can be as dry and crisp but far more variable. In Belgium, every farm house had its own saison, influenced by their very own farm and the grains available to them. For Mystic Saison we worked towards the essence of saison.

The Name. Mystic Saison was our first beer and named to reflect the straightforward approach to a “whole field” saison.

Added by rudzud on 09-10-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 198
4.67/5  rDev +25.2%

Be suspicious of a beer that gets only A/A+ ratings-- that's what I always say. And judging from the wide swing in review scores, I'd say Mystic has a hit on its hands. My bottle was not overly boozy or sweet-- it was, in fact, one of the best and most creative American saisons I've ever had. Well balanced, fruity, yeasty but not bready; nothing overbearing or fat-handed or adolescently over-hopped; refreshing and not much beyond a hint of booziness. The only thing I'd improve upon is the print on the bottle: it's too small and too dark.

I enthusiastically await future releases.

2.48/5  rDev -33.5%

750ml bottle (Batch 1) poured into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: This beer looks really good. Dark golden orange color with nice fluffy white head. Good sticky lacing. This looks like a very nice saison.

Smell: Citrus, a slight bit of tart/funk, belgian yeast, some alcohol, and flowers. It smells like a pretty good saison.

Taste: Here, unfortunately, is where the wheels come off the bus. This guy is simply dominated by the alcohol and little else. It burns up front and leaves me with a lingering nasty bitter medicinal flavor that won't go away until I punish my taste buds with the next sip, and then the process just repeats. I can believe that there is a tasty beer under here, but reviewing what I have in front of me, this is nearly undrinkable.

Mouthfeel: Aside from the burn… Light to medium body, creamy, and adequately carbed.

Drinkability: Basically a zero. I'm fighting through this glass to give it a fair shake, but the rest of the bottle is headed down the drain.

Overall: Big disappointment. I should know better by now than to expect world class quality control from a new brewery, but for a $10 bottle of beer they should be ashamed. These bad bottles seem widespread enough at this point that there should probably be a recall. Buyer beware. I hope they get their stuff under control, because I do believe there is a lot of talent in this bottle, but they are just not yet ready for prime time.

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

Purchased in Cambridge after Wilco show. Poured into tulip glass.
A - Deep staw color, big beautiful head, laced to the end.

S - Some grass, white pepper, slight lemongrass, hints of vanilla. very pleasant.

T - Having read about "boozy" atributes. I am happy to report, wonderful balance. Initial feel is smooth, light carbonation, maybe a little leathery for the style. A short tart finish is refreshing.

M - Some quick herbal elements, then medium body and a short sharp finish. Well done.

O - Very well done, with all the coverage of this offering, my experience is very pleasant.
Lets hope the future releases continue to be as good.

Cheers

3.32/5  rDev -11%

Batch 001, served from a 750mL and shared in a couple tulips

A - deep golden color with a big, fluffy white head. doesn't stick around for long though, as both our glasses quickly diminish to just beer with no lacing

S - banana/clove, candied sugar, light floral hops

T - immediately get some interesting, spicy yeast flavors. bubblegum, light grain, however a noticeable amount of solvency. as others have noted, the brewer has come out and said their second batch does not demonstrate this trait

M - highly carbonated, which plays well with the spicy notes of the yeast

A great saison from a local Boston brewer, one that reminds me of an authentic Belgian ale. For only $9 it's not a bad price, and I'm really excited to try the slightly tweaked batch in the future. Once other batches are released, I'll be sure to try them out and re-review.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

A: golden honey that pours a large white fizzy head that dissipates quickly to a nonexistent head.
S: grassy, citrus with hints of flowers and booze
T: citrus-lemon, funk, booze
M: thin body as expected but an unwarranted drying of the mouth
O: as previous reviewers have mentioned, tasty but boozy. If the booze could get well hidden then i'd say mystic brewery would be onto something.

3.41/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into my Portsmouth tulip a heady translucent orange honey color, good lacing as it deflates to a finger of solid white.

The nose is light bubblegum and citrus with a dominating phenol alcohol presence.

A sip is medium with smooth carbonation - caramel malt, grassiness, and light citrus. But as mentioned in previous reviews, due to batch variation this one is really boozy to me - almost band aid medicinal. It's not that unpleasant, but it's not right.

Seems to be nicely hopped, but the big alcohol presence just isn't to style. Will definitely try a new bottle much later on, because it seems others have enjoyed the good half of the bath.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

750ml bottle poured into an Allagash stemmed glass.

A - Pours a well hazed glowing orange color, bright and translucent with a two finger cap of fluffy white head that shows excellent staying power.

S - Spicy, green, grassy, fresh hop bitterness, malty sweetness, cloves, lemons, oranges, fresh bread and a hint of tartness.

T - Surprisingly - a bit boozy. A warmth and taste sensation that last throughout. A bit phenolic and medicinal. Nice hop bitterness. Has a fresh "green" flavor throughout as well - grassy, lightly fruity/orangey and peachy, spicy with cloves, bready malt base. The level of alcohol presence is a bit of a detractor for me that turns this a bit into a sipper.

M - To me saisons should be easy drinking, light and refreshing...this comes off a bit heavy with the alcohol. Doesn't kill it, but just keeps it from being as good as it could be. Carbonation is mid-level and appropriate for style.

O - A good saison! Less noticeable alcoholic nature would improve this one greatly for me. I like this but the competition in this style is stiff, so might not be a regular purchase. I'll definitely get again, just not sure how often.

2.42/5  rDev -35.1%

A great-looking 750 mL bottle into a Duvel tulip. Batch 001.

This is a gorgeous beer. Body is hazy gold, almost straw. A stiff, two-finger head forms and refuses to recede, leaving gorgeous lacing around my glass. Small peaks of white foam remain in the head throughout. Stunning.

The nose is quite sweet, with a good deal of lemony sweetness and just a touch of pepper. Not much funk, but a Belgian-style yeast flavor shines through. There's also a definite alcohol note at work here.

Right from my first sip, I tasted an alcohol burn that I've never experienced before in a saison. The taste of pure, grain alcohol dominates the taste. There's also an odd, sort of chemical taste reminiscent of plastic. I can taste a little bit of grassy funk, but the alcohol heat just kills it.

The mouthfeel is spot on, lively but creamy. In feel and feel alone, this reminds me of Saison Dupont.

The brewer of this beer has indicated that there was significant bottle variation in this inaugural batch of Mystic Saison, and that many bottles are giving off pronounced alcohol phenols. Even knowing that before purchasing this beer, I still couldn't believe how unbalanced and difficult to drink this was. As much as I want to love this new local brewery - and I certainly intend on trying their beers in the future - this was a disappointment.

4.58/5  rDev +22.8%

This beer pours a nice golden yellow color with a huge pillory white head at least three fingers thick. I was not expecting so much carbonation wince the cork did not shoot out when I began to turn it. The Smell is spicey floral slightly sweet with a hint of alcohol and a peppery zing. The flavor follows suit with the yeasty spiceyness coming out in the front followed by a light peppery finish. The mouthfeel is light of medium light with excellent carbonation. Overall this beer is delicious and was a really nice surprise. I would take this beer over saison duping any day

2.62/5  rDev -29.8%

Batch 001

Very classy looking 750ml cork and caged bottle and logo.

Pillowy cloud like head that settled back pretty quickly to a 1/4 inch of foam. Caramel/nutty malt aroma which became a background note in flavor. Most flavor derived from the yeast character which was estery, fusely, and slightly phenolic which came off to me as plasticy and paint like. Ended sweetish with nutty/caramel malt flavor. Medium carbonation and body. This made my head pound for a good 3-4 hours after finishing 3/4 of the bottle which lead me to believe there was a good deal of fusel alcohols present. Hope future batches improve as it would be something I would take to dinner parties due to the classy packaging if the yeast profile improves.

4.08/5  rDev +9.4%

a bit hazy glowing golden color gives way to a huge pure white fluffy head that leaves enormous chunks of foam on the glass.

lemony, slightly tart and zesty, peppery, with some hay, a touch of barnyard and some bubblegum sweetness.

bubblegum, pepper, with some zesty citrus (not bitter) juice, a touch of funk along with some not-quite-ripe stonefruits. some apple. a lot going on, actually, but remains refreshing and drinkable. a bit too sweet on the finish as bubblegum and candy-sugar like sweetness stick around a while.

fluffy velvety medium bodied that works very well.

overall, i like it. it definitely skirts to the sweeter side of the spectrum rather than the dry side. Will definitely check out other brews by this brewery.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

Batch 1- Big, beautiful 750 ml

A-Pours a very hazy honey color. Carbonation rises aggressively up to a huge, fluffy, off-white head. Head retains exceptionally. Looks awesome. Splotches of lacing pepper the glass.

S-Smells very intense for a Saison. Big whiffs of Belgian yeast, Hallertau (listed) hops, and some nice barnyard funk. Lightly grainy and spicy. Maybe the most inviting aroma from a Saison I have ever come across.

T-This is a tasty one. The flavor is very rich. Incredibly dry. Light funk combines with the Belgian yeast very well. A long, bitter, grassy hop finish sits on the palate. Pale fruits and some considerable peppery flavors too. The hops are strong. A bunch going on here, and its all good (and Local!).

M-Medium bodied. Lively carbonation. Finish is super dry. I enjoy the feel and the lingering aftertaste.

O/D-This is Mystic's first beer, and so far (especially for a style that I am not absolutely in love with) they have really impressed me with this Saison. This is probably my favorite Saison I have tried. I heard they will be trying Lambics too...please do that Mystic.

4.48/5  rDev +20.1%

The much anticipated debut of Mystic Brewery! Found many, many bottles of this at Julio's and picked up a couple as today was the big debut!. Been anxious for this brewery to open and do its thing, even more anxious for some of the big beers. Really glad to see this beer. Batch 001. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Wow, this stuff is great. A massive, billowing three finger head that leaves HUGE clumpy, rocky side lacing slumping down to leave a solid white blanket. Crystal clear dark gold with loads of nucleation going on in this glass. Spectacular.

S - Really nice saison aromas here. Good light funk and belgian yeasts. Super nice light pepper notes. Little bit of fruit on the nose too. The website says pear, and I can definately see that.

T - The more I drink this, the more I like the taste. Starts slightly sweet with a nice solid barnyard funk that is typical for the style. This gives way to a gentle, pleasant peppery spiceness. Intermingling with the spicey pepper is an almost juicy fruit that when I concentrate I definately do get pear. Cracked pepper, pear, back and forth back and forth. Delicious.

M - My only knock on this beer. I find the 7% ABV to be a bit too noticeable with this beer. Good carbonation that gets nice and mellow as it sits. Good dry finish, but again, the ABV is there.

O - Overall, wow. So if this is their staple beer, just what will their limited releases be like? I don't know, but I'm anxious to try them. This beer was great and for the price ($9.99) you honestly can't beat it. This blows Dupont out of the water for that price, and Mystic is in brown bottles to boot! Definately worth seeking out this offering.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last