West Side Belgian-Style IPA | Harriet Brewing

Harriet Brewing
Minnesota, United States

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by sacrelicio on 02-10-2011

One of my all time favorite beers. A great mix of sweet and bitter.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This beer pours a cloudy golden-orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into nice lingering lacing. The aroma is of grapefruit, barnyard, leather, hay, tangerine, and a hint of cherry. There is a lot going on in this aroma, and every aspect compliments every other. The taste as a little more barnyard qualities, and a little less hoppy fruit qualities than the aroma. It is dry, and has a mild lingering bitterness in finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a great beer. I've had this a number of times now, and have completely fallen in love with it. It reminds me a lot of Bell's Two Hearted Ale, but made with a funky Belgian yeast strain.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%

I was out of town when this had its debut at Blue Nile, but sure enough, Al has cornered the market on Harriet for now, and he still has it on tap. Even better, he has a couple of true Belgians of a similar style (La Chouffe and Urthel Hop-It, if I recall correctly), so I can see how it stacks up.

Before I review this beer, it is worth noting that I am often unimpressed with Belgians. I often find them too sweet, and lacking a satisfying finish. I really love American-style IPAs, and am planning to make a Surly Furious my freebie in the happy hour 2-for-1.

But whoa.

This beer is in my wheelhouse. It's evocative of Flying Dog Raging Bitch and Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Wild, both of which I really enjoy. Maybe we need a new category for these beers -- Belgian-Style American IPA, perhaps? These are fun Belgians for IPA lovers.

Anyway, this is somehow better than the competition, including the La Chouffe and Hot-It I tasted side-by-side. Perhaps it's the freshness -- we're only a mile from the brewery one week after this beer was released, after all. I don't know. Drinkability is very high with this one.

In the end, I ditched the Furious and has a second West Side.

A - Golden straw with little head. Then Al discovered that the CO2 tank needed changing, and the second came on with too much -- very foamy. I think it's unfair for me to draw any conclusions today.

S - So much going on here. All of the fruity, earthy, bready and sweet smells I associate with Belgian yeast, plus the floral, cirtus and pine fragrances common to West Coast hops. Nothing feels out of place here. This is intriguing, and I want to just smell it for a while, an unusual desire for this guy.

T - Just like it smells, and with a surprise. The malt that I didn't notice on the nose is now coming through, and the hop bitterness is perfectly balanced by a faint sweetness.

M - My two pints had vastly different carbonation levels, so I don't think I can rate this accurately.

D - Lightly or highly carbonated, this is a great drinker.

The rookie hits a home run in his first plate appearance. I can't wait to try more beers from Harriet.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

L: Pours brilliant orange tinted amber under a 1” cream colored foam collar.
S: Unscrewing the cap releases a big dose of grassy, resiny hop aroma, banana and orange, spices.
T: Light caramel flavors, dark dried fruit, raisin, citrus, grain flavors. Light sweetness upfrontdries out on the finish.
F: Rich texture, soft on the mouth, medium to medium full body and medium carbonation to a little above.
O: A pleasantly hoppy easy to drink Belgian style IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

A friend of mine gave me a growler of Harriets West Side IPA, I had never heard of the place, he told me it had just opened an wanted to try it out and I am glad he did.

A-Pours a nice golden bronze with a white pillowy head, a little hazy, had to pour easy because it has some carbonation.

S-I can smell some grapefruit and just a really fresh fruit ,grassy summer time scent.

T-Boy this is good, fresh hoppy grapefruit ,mango not a lot of malt taste just enough to tone the hops down a little a nice bitter finish.

MF-Just the right amount of carbonation nice full bodied ale with a little pucker power.

D- I love this ale I read one review comparing it to Raving Bitch IPA which is one of my favorite ales and I would have to agree. Thanks Steve for the great growler.

4.48/5  rDev +8.7%

Ordered a small keg of this beer from Zipps for my birthday two weeks ago. What a great beer! Yes, it poured hard because of the extra CO2 they put into their kegs to achieve the Belgian style, and that took some getting used to. On the good side that slowed my drinking down a bit as I tend to gulp. The color in the sun was the perfect autumn red-amber. Just exquisite color. Everything about this beer said fresh. It was kegged Oct. 10 and we started drinking it nine days later. At 6.2% abv it was perfect for me. I drank it all weekend and had no ill effects from it at all, like I do with packaged beer, good craft packaged beer like Furious and Founders. It was so nicely balanced with a very strong hop presence but not too sweet like some IPAs. I can't wait to get another keg of this beer. These people know what they are doing and they communicated well with me after I told them about the hyper-foamation.

4.48/5  rDev +8.7%

4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Tamarack Taproom in Woodbury, MN. Served in a shaker glass.

Appearance: Color is a deep and fairly hazy amber orange. Moderate amount of bubbles and a solid finger of white head that settles into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: A juicy and spicy hop and yeast forward aroma with good hints of citrus and Belgian spices. Belgian yeast with spice hints of clove, peppers, funk, and coriander. Big hop presence with citrus fruit hints of orange peel, grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, and mango. Piney hops along with some grassy hints. Background malt hints of caramel, cracker, and biscuit. A very solid Belgian IPA aroma.

Taste: Like the smell hints at, A sharp and juicy hop and spice driven taste with notes of citrus fruit and Belgian spices. Belgian yeast with notes of farmhouse funk and spice notes of clove, peppers, and coriander. Big ripe citrus hop presence with notes of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon zest, mango, and pineapple. Spicy notes of pine resin along with some grassy hops. Pale malt with backing notes of caramel, biscuit, and cracker. A really nice taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a medium to high level of carbonation. Juicy, spicy, and fairly oily with a drying finish.

Overall: A very good take on the Belgian IPA style. Bold yet balanced combination of juicy hop and Belgian yeast flavors.

4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Drinking a growler from Harriet, this Belgian IPA is my new favorite oxymoron. Even a few years ago this beer wouldn't make sense, and now it seems to be the flagship and, presently, only year round beer of a new brewery. I do love beer and the beer world that's every changing.

Fluffy white head builds up with tight clean bubbles. Pretty golden ale with copper highlights. Picture is a bit dark compared to reality. For me, this beer is all about the nose. Big and overwhelming, it perfect for my below average olfactory abilities. A brazen blend of strong hop and assertive Belgian yeast. Yeast yields to the hops as it warms, and creates a very pleasant temperature cycle on this beer to drink over time.

Strong saison-like peppery note. I don't know the yeast, but it's an assertive yeast with strong characteristics, much like the yeast determined beers of 't IJ in Amersterdam. No indication of the hops used except that they are Northwest, but the clear citrusy smell is intriguing. A blend of lemon zest, grapefruit, lemon, and a slight pine and resin earthiness. I think the real genius of this beer is how the hop and yeast spices cross each other's boundaries and create something more than the whole.

Bready malt base supports a clean hop and yeast spice that matches the nose exactly. 40 IBU seems a bit light for the hop punch in the nose, but the yeast is giving amazing support in the spiciness. Lingering dryness makes this beer a real pleasure to drink. I see myself returning to the brewery for another growler as a regular habit, especially paired with a second seasonal growler.

4.44/5  rDev +7.8%

Not my favorite style of beer but a new brewery in MN is a good excuse to give it another chance.

A - Pours a beautiful light yellow, transparent with a big fluffy white head. No stick on glass

S - Beautiful floral and citrus hops in your face followed by a zip of spicy belgian yeast. Great balance

T - More floral hops then the yeast bites followed by a faint hop bitterness. The more I sip the more the hops come forward...citrus and floral.

M - Nice high spicy carbonation with a touch of bitterness that longs for another sip

D - Way too drinkable. Great balance between the hop bitterness and yeasty spice.

Overall I was blown away by this beer. Great nose, great balance. Very drinkable. A positive start to this brewery.

West Side Belgian-Style IPA from Harriet Brewing