Firestarter India Pale Ale | Bonfire Brewing Co.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 40
Reviews by kylemckinnis:
1.5/5  rDev -56%

1.82/5  rDev -46.6%

16 oz can. Pours slightly hazy orange amber with a medium frothy white head that goes to a thin film and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet perfumey overripe fruit and some caramel.

The flavor is odd. There's a lot of bitterness but it's a bit metallic. It has some cardboardy caramel malts and perfumey, floral, soapy, vegetal notes, plus overripe fruit. The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied and kind of watery.

Overall, very odd. It's got good bitterness, but lots of issues.

3.28/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.57/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

3.46/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a deep golden color with orange hues and a 1 inch head. Smell is of piney hops, a bit of malts. Taste is hoppy, bitter, some pine and mint notes, a bit mild for the style, but very drinkable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good, but unspectacular beer.

3.66/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.39/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.57/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The Old Lady was like a modern Siren, enticing me to come out and visit her in what I now refer to as CANorado. I made the long journey westward, only to find that my amorous feelings for her were MUCH stronger than her reciprocal feelings for me. Ah, ma coeur! In the meantime, she was a most gracious hostess and a like mind, which made it all the more painful. Towards the end of my visit, I gathered my shopping list and went all over town, gathering and buying CANs like it was my first time. The look on the babe's face when she came down from her place of work to help me stow all of my CAN booty in her vehicle was priceless. She could not believe that I had hauled so much around on public trans by myself nor that my (relatively) small frame could carry it, period. I am like an insect, capable of lifting 1000x my body weight, but I was pretty sore for a few days afterward. This will be my fourth in the wondrous event known as New Beer Sunday (week 445 - Labor Day weekend version).

From the CAN: "Cascade hops bring the aroma. Falconer's Flight slings the bitterness. This one gets the fire going quickly."; "The Firestarter was born in a garage and refined in a much larger garage before making it into the friendly [CAN]fines of this [CAN]."; "Coming in at 72 IBUs, citrus hop flavor prevails along with a just-enough bitter finish."; "Want to make Firestarter in your own garage? S[CAN] here [with QR code]".

The Crack was on par, revealing a brimful CAN. I could only respond with an inverted Glug, which in turn resulted in a finger of dense, tawny head with great retention in the face of today's stinking humidity. Summer will NOT die quietly this year, apparently. Color was a solid amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity and I was becoming anxious for a hit. Nose was surprisingly malty and while I assumed that it was an AIPA, I may add it as an EIPA, depending on how things shake out. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was VERY earthy, like a freshly-dug pit or grave. It was just hoppy enough to allow me to stick with AIPA, but it was not this hophead's dream. I dig earthy chicks, unwashed, unshaven, feral (thanks, Jo), but I like my IPAs more floral. This had the taste of soil, which I could get behind in vegetables, but not when I am in the midst of a serious jones. I get it, but I don't dig it, dig? Sticky lacing began to form as I drank, which was a bonus. Finish was difficult to quantify - it was (maybe) semi-dry, but the earthiness made it tough to get a handle on. Would I recommend it? It would really depend on the occasion. Me & The Old Lady, in the shower? Heck, yes! On a hard day when I need to mainline? No. At the beach or in the mountains? Perhaps.

4.03/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Had to fudge my rating a little bit--I'm drinking straight from the can because I'm camping just outside denver. So I have no idea about how this beer looks. But it smells tastes and feels good. Piney and bitter. Malt flavors are fairly mild but good. Body is perfect. I like it.

3.91/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into a Bonfire Brewery tulip glass.

Look: Like the hardened piece of amber sap that Jurassic Park was born from.

Smell is deep and rich. For me this is a smell that is very inviting. Unusual might be the best word. Slightly intense. It has some of the same eye-opening qualities to the smell that paint or even gasoline has where it really wakes you up. One review described it as metallic which is fairly accurate. That's not to say that these smells are similar, but just that the smell is sharp and punctuated. The more I think about it, the more it feels like fresh pine is the most prominent note. The underneath notes give a scent similar to gin like maybe juniper or almond.

Taste. Well, the taste is definitely a continuation of the fragrance. I was very happily surprised by the richness to this brew. It really steps out of the conventional, and for me personally, this is a taste I can really get behind. Firestarter has become the beer that I am constantly reaching for.

The feel in the mouth is hard to describe. There is an element of airiness to it. The viscocity has some depth to it... it is again, punctuated, and brilliant. I was somewhat surprised by other reviews of this beer, but I think some of that comes down to how you react to the notes in the smell. If those notes appeal to you, and invite you in to the beer, then the taste is simply a deepening of that. But perhaps the mouth feel is where those notes shine the best because if you leave this beer in the mouth, you can feel some of the lacing on the tongue. And with your swallow, as the air hits the tongue, you kind of have an opportunity to revisit those same notes... this beer is consistent if anything, and I think it comes back to how you connect to the sharp notes in the beer. After the swallow, as the air hits the elements of the tongue where the beer had been resting, you get the lacing that comes back on the tongue as it dries. This is another opportunity to pick up some of the undertones like the juniper and maybe an element of peach as well.

Overall, this is my favorite beer, and I love it. I love drinking it, and I recommend it.

3.65/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.03/5  rDev +18.2%

12 oz. Can

Pours a pretty nice slightly hazy dark golden orange color, pretty nice carbonation, with a pretty nice three-finger thick/creamy/foamy off-white head, which also leaves some pretty nice thick/creamy sticky lacing behind. The nose is hoppy, slight malt note, with some citrus. The taste is nice, hoppy, some malts, citrus. Medium body, with a little dry/bitter finish. Overall, a tasty IPA.

3.29/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Deep amber body with a nice white, frothy head. Caramel, toffee, and orange marmalade aroma. Strongly bitter taste with a modicum of malt sweetness; dry, bitter grapefruit. Medium bodied yet somewhat weak and watery body; very dry finish.

Pretty much a one-dimensional IPA as far as taste goes--very hop bitter but without any decent, off-setting grain or malt sweetness to balance things out. One of my neighbors brought over two cans for me (which I'm grateful for) yet he also found it too bitter (and he's fanatical about a good, hoppy and bitter IPA) for his liking. Drinkable yet rough going on several levels...

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Firestarter India Pale Ale from Bonfire Brewing Co.