Maple Shade

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Maple ShadeMaple Shade
Notes: Maple Shade. 14% abv. After a year of slumbering peacefully in Four Roses Bourbon Barrels, this stout was blended and refermented with over 300lbs of maple syrup, and then conditioned on a special blend of @revecoffeeroasters coffee made solely to enhance our roasty, chocolately base stout.
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 38 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.3/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2018 vintage on draught at the brewery.

Syrupy yet dry towards the finish. Scintillae of vanillin. Bourbon barrel notes are too subdued. No toasted oak or genuine vanilla bean.

Maple is barely present, but at least it's not too sweet.

It's a nice little imperial Stout, but given its high ratings, maple syrup utilization, and Bourbon barrel aging, I hoped for better.

Low B- / WORTHY

4.77/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is for the 2018 batch, which I enjoyed significantly more than the 2017. Deep black in color with a gorgeous tan head. Whiskey and maple on the nose with distinct whiskey, coffee, and tons of Maple flavors that coat the mouth. Great thick mouth feel. Overall a fantastic barrel aged imperial stout with tons of Maple.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Black as midnight beer with thin tan head. Slick oily mouthfeel yet fat and heavy. Taste of dark chocolate and coffee. Tastes exactly like Kahula, with a hit bit more coffee notes.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Aces over jacks full house to rhong187 for this 750ML bottle. Split with my wife.

Some of the coolest bottle art I’ve seen, with the silver on black outline of a maple leaf. Lovely. The beer is black as the soul of the Queen of Sidhe. Smells like chocolate chip pancakes slathered with maple syrup. If you know me, that’s part of my definition of love & heaven. Although it’s served on a flesh plate. But enough about me.

Maple Shade is a description of my front yard, without the blaze of gorgeous red in the fall. And the beer. Wow, the beer. There are sweet malts piled on top of maple sweetness, with a lovely, heady shot of bourbon. The coffee comes in acidic & sharp & bitter. No alcohol. Which makes me happy, because that means I’m not drunk. Smooth. Smoother. Smooth. I should have drunk the bomber by myself. My wife would never have known. That’s how good relationships work, right, brah?

Hell yes. Maple & bourbon are like Sam & Frodo, Thelma & Louise, Meat & Crash, PB&J. This works harder than a presidential spokesperson named Sanders. Excellent brew.

4.98/5  rDev +16.9%

Truly one of the best aged stouts in the market! Had it New Years Eve with a friend and the only regret I had was that I bought a single bottle. Smooth as silk on the palate with a touch of sweetness followed by chocolate and coffee notes.

Maple Shade from Parish Brewing Company