Brandy Barrel-Aged Baltic Porter | High Water Brewing

Added by Arbitrator on 11-21-2011

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 3
Reviews by jlb502:

2.03/5  rDev +0.5%

This was served on tap at the BevMo Beer Fest at Fort Mason on 11/19. I gravitated to the High Water tent pretty early, reasoning that unlimited pours of Retribution would be a pretty decent return for a $40 fest that I didn't really want to attend (don't get your girlfriend into beer, kids -- it doesn't pay off).

I saw this little gem being poured on draft, so I requested a pour of it. The server mentioned that the brandy-barrel aged version would be blended with its bourbon-barrel aged brother for the final product. I didn't get the actual ABV, but I am reasoning that it is reasonably close to the bourbon version (9.3%), so that is what I'm uploading here.

A: Pours a black body with slight edge highlights. Tan foam that vanishes fairly quickly. No lace.

S: This beer was poured almost ice-cold. I found it ironic that BevMo, a chain that can't refrigerate craft beer, served all its beers at arctic temperatures at this beer fest. Truly a failure of a business. Anyway, I struggled mightily to extract aromas from this beer, and eventually I realized it just didn't have much of a bouquet. Mild notes of brandy, but nothing in the way of oak or vanilla. Some coffee and a little bit of chocolate. I was hoping for some dark fruit or something, but no. Very, very mild nose.

T: The taste is pretty lacking, as well. This has even milder barrel pickup than its bourbon-barrel aged equivalent, resulting in a beer that brings some coffee, chocolate, and a mild brandy presence to the table. Coffee pulls into the finish. It's not flawed, but it's simplistic. It needs some heft and many more flavor elements to stand out.

M: Medium-full bodied, low-moderate carbonation. No heat to it. Clean finish, maybe too much so; the flavors fall off very quickly.

O: As with the bourbon-barrel aged version, this one is unremarkable. I don't think grape-spirit based barrels work well for baltic porters; 50/50 couldn't pull this style off, either.

Brandy Barrel-Aged Baltic Porter from High Water Brewing