'Tis The Saison | Lake Bluff Brewing Company

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by KTCamm on 04-15-2011

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 7
Reviews by KTCamm:

Pours a light amber - with some gold and good white foaming. Some lacing evident.

Smell and taste - good flavorful blend, certainly orange-y throughout. Notes of spices as well - corriander most prominent. Mild peppery.

Good solid mouthfeel - mild carbonation, but all swirls together well and blends nicely,.

Very drinkable brew - was my top pick upon my first visit to LBBC. Take home a growler!

4.5/5  rDev +35.5%

3.16/5  rDev -4.8%

I had this beer a few times circa May 21st.

A: The clarity of this batch is way, way off. It pours a turbid golden-orange, like a glass of raw apple cider or chai tea.

S: Very aromatic, heavy on the spice. Reminds me of a mulled cider for Christmas. Fruity and orange.

T/M: Good tasting saison. The nearly overpowering aroma was not carried through in the taste. It is mild and blended well with the light carbonation and alcohol content.

In my opinion, this is the best beer currently made by LBBC. I suspect this batch was really rushed and the higher fermentation temps for a saison were not adequately reached - causing the ridiculous turbidity. I was very nervous at first seeing the pour thinking it may have been infected. But, it does taste good. I'm a bit overwhelmed by how spicy this beer is given that I was there on a hot spring day - but I would feel at home with it on a cool October afternoon. Even the play-on-words name of the beer makes me want it over the winter.

Excited to re-taste this beer when things aren't so rushed.

2.23/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours transparent copper in color with minimal head. I don't have much recollection of the aroma; all I know is that the flavor was a dead ringer for Halls mentholyptus honey-lemon flavored lozenges. It took me a while to figure out where I recognized that medicinal flavor from, but I eventually was able to do it. I guess I didn't expect cough lozenge to be the backbone of a saison, yet here we are. It may sound like I'm being facetious, but it's literally as if the aforementioned lozenges were boiled down and diluted in water with alcohol. I really wish I had better things to say about this beer, but unfortunately, I do not.

'Tis The Saison from Lake Bluff Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.