Winter Grind | Mother's Brewing Company

Mother's Brewing Company
Missouri, United States
mothersbrewing.com

Style: American Stout

Sip away the season with Mother's Winter Grind. We've combined the rich goodness of a stout with our cold-brewed espresso blend, roasted for us by our coffee loving neighbors at the Mudhouse. The result is a wintery treat that'll give coffee and beer lovers a reason to cheer!

Added by TippySelenoid on 11-03-2011

One of my favorites! This beer does not disappoint, and you will need to buy a few boxes when the winter comes around. This stuff sells fast.

Dark in color with a white head. Smells of chocolate, raisin, and coffee. Strong coffee hit with notes of chocolate. Editing my old rating because I have had several beers in this category and this is the best there is.

4.82/5  rDev +22.3%

A: Pours a dark brown with an off-white head that filled up the rest of the glass to the brim. The airy head took forever to fade into a thick film leaving chunks of lace down the glass.

S: Tons of coffee on the nose mixed in with a few notes of malt; but almost all coffee. It smells like a french press of freshly ground coffee.

T: Coffee and more coffee. Not much else here, except that it is coffee with no acid and coffee with no astringency. Tastes like great coffee smells.

M: Medium to light body, for a stout, drying mouth feel with a touch of sweetness, and soft, even, carbonation.

O: A coffee lover's dream. Cannot wait to pair it with a sweet dessert.

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

4.79/5  rDev +21.6%

This is a good one! Very dark in color, with a thick tan head. Strong mocha and coffee aroma's, and up front taste. Mouthfeel is thick, but pleasant - not slick or lingering. Aftertaste is not overwhelming. Overall I would recommend this one if you enjoy a good stout, or a good coffee. Pairs well with a multitude of winter time snacks.

4.77/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.76/5  rDev +20.8%

I am going to keep this brief. coffee stouts hold a huge place in my heart, and this is my favorite of the genre. good feel in the mouth. a very upfront coffee in your face smell, yet the coffee notes are cradled to bed by the smoothest and cleanest swallow I have found yet with a coffee stout. semi sweet chocolates with fill the back of your palate, while covering the rest with smokey, and roasty pine nut aromas.

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%

I poured this, expecting very little from a 'coffee stout'. But what a pleasant surprise. The coffee flavor's there, but not overpowering. There are hops, but they do not distract. And the stout is a standard, but tasty stout--thankfully not thick and oily.

This beer is a brilliant exercise in balance. I didn't notice any one ingredient until I focused on it. Else the coffee and stout and hops and alcohol go so well together, you just enjoy the beer.

4.65/5  rDev +18%

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

If you take your coffee black, you'll like this beer. Pours jet black with a 2 finger off white head. Aroma is all coffee. Starts off tasting like cold espresso. A little bit of the milky sweet stout taste comes through in the middle, then finishes off with some bitterness that I assume ones from the coffee. Tastes like someone took a good stout then poured in a few shots of quality espresso.

Personally I love this beer. It makes me sad it's seasonal, I'd drink it year round. I can certainly understand how someone may find the coffee overpowering though, it's rather strong. So be advised.

4.54/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This dark brew pours fairly thin into the glass, but is almost black in color. A vigorous pour leaves you with a think, 3 finger head that retains awesomely and laces even better. Coffee hits the nose first and foremost and very dark. The scent of the coffee leans toward the bitter side and reminds me of a whiff of freshly opened coffee grinds. The coffee is pretty much the whole smell and translates straight into the taste. Dark and bitter coffee on the tongue is dead on to the scent. A touch of dark malts mix into the flavor on the back end of the taste in a primarily burnt flavor profile. The beer is smooth, but fairly thin and very easy to drink. Because the alcohol is only at 6% it is very easy to have a few of this.

Overall, this is probably the best, non-imperial coffee stout I have had. It has a great, dark, and bitter flavor and scent that is very high in quality.

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Beer pours very dark brown with minimal head
Smell: This beer has the strongest coffee smell of any beer I've ever had. I can only pick up coffee, which is not a bad thing.
Taste: Once again, a very coffee forward tasting brew. No real sweetness, and bitterness comes from the coffee. Not a full bodied brew, but good, easy drinking. I wouldn't term it a stout though, because I did not pick up any roasted malt elements.
Overall: I really think that Mother's did a wonderful job with this beer. This is a beer that tastes like drinking an iced coffee, spot on. I would pick up another 6 pack.

Winter Grind from Mother's Brewing Company