Winter Grind | Mother's Brewing Company

Mother's Brewing Company
Missouri, United States
mothersbrewing.com

Style: American Stout

Sip away the season with Mother's Winter Grind. We've combined the rich goodness of a stout with our cold-brewed espresso blend, roasted for us by our coffee loving neighbors at the Mudhouse. The result is a wintery treat that'll give coffee and beer lovers a reason to cheer!

Added by TippySelenoid on 11-03-2011

Liked:
3.91/5
Alströms:

1.41/5  rDev -63.9%

It tasted like burnt coffee. Moreover, the not weak but not super strong malt was not enough to mask the awful coffee flavoring. I'll own up to chugging this one when I realized it was not going to get better. I practically never chug craft beers, but I'm poor, I was at a party, and I could not handle another second of the bitter, burnt coffee stout. Maybe this is just me, but I cannot do crap coffee. I don't expect or get super nice stuff. But if it's burnt or completely bitter. That's a non-option. It will never taste good to me. No matter the amount of creamer, or in this case, malt.

2.33/5  rDev -40.4%

This beer is ALL coffee, and not really very good coffee at that. There is no malt, no hops, nothing but coffee. I personally like coffee, but it should augment the maltiness of the beer, not completely overpower it. This stuff really does taste like somebody took some cold water and mixed it with old coffee grounds. This is not the only beer that I have tried from Mother's, and I have to say that I am really not impressed with any of their offerings that I have tried.

2.36/5  rDev -39.6%

This last winter (around November 2013), me and my boy Jones were trying to find another good, dark, winter-time brew. I had been noticing all of the different "coffee" stouts available, and decided I would try to locate one locally (here in no-wheres-ville Missouri, these kind of beers are not easy to find). But, to my surprise, a couple of our local beer-buying establishments had Mother's Brewing Company's Winter Grind...needless to say, Jones and I bought us a six-pack on one of those cold winter days!

We both took a drink of this brew at the same time...I really don't know how to describe what happened next. My boy Jones looked at me with a look that is very hard to describe...you know, that look that you might have if your favorite lady made you something new to eat, and you take a bite, and you really want to spit it out, but you are trying to put on a pleasant face? THAT LOOK. I wasn't so subtle...I think the words I said was "holy" something! I gotta tell ya, this beer was God awful...I'm sorry, because all of the reviews of this product seem to give it a high mark, and I love coffee....but I could barely finish it. My boy Jones finished it, but choked it down. It is now almost the first of April 2014, and I still have two of these beers in my beer fridge - and the only way I was able to drink the other two was to mix it with Bud Select to thin it out....I know, I know, but I can only tell the truth!

The color of the beer is outstanding...but it went downhill after that for me. Me and my boy Jones are Missouri boys, and we enjoy several of the Mother's Brewing Company beers, but we will not buy this one ever again....maybe coffee stouts are not for us!

2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

2.73/5  rDev -30.2%

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

Big letdown. Smells like instant coffee.

2.84/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Weizen glass. L: poured an outstanding waterfall. Black opaque with a full 3 finger head. Nice lacing. S: chemical solvent. Some coffee, but other bad smells overpowered. T: weak coffee, some malt and mostly roastyness. F: a bit thin. More along the line of Porter. O: quite disappointed. Wanted to really enjoy this on. Will try again just to make sure I didn't get a bad bottle.

2.96/5  rDev -24.3%

2.96/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours black with a small head. The smell is all coffee. The taste is like someone burnt some espresso then watered it down to try and correct the problem. I tried this beer twice and poured it out both times. It's thin, watery, and the most coffee-est forward beer I've ever had. I know some people who love this, but it's just not for me.

3.01/5  rDev -23%

Thin black with a wispy ligh tan head of a finger. Translucent edges. Doesn't stick around too long. Not much for lacing either. A rather bland looking stout to b honest.

Full on coffee aroma. Not a coffee drinker, but the strength of the aroma alone here is enough to get u going in the morning. Difficult to pick up much more, but coffee is what they were aiming for and it was a bullseye. I still have to have some barley in my stouts tho.

No surprise. Coffee and roasted notes. Smooth with no astringent roasted character or acidity commonlyp seen of the style. Straifhtforward with some sweet layers here and there.

M- Was too thin for my liking. So thin it's more of a cold coffee with no cream than a stout if there were no alcohol. Missed the mark here.

O- coffee lovers should seek out. I've enjoyed many o coffee stouts, but this one lacked the depth, complexity and character of many others. A lil too heavy on the adjuncts.

3.02/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.14/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Winter Grind from Mother's Brewing Company