Brewfist / Prairie Artisan Ales Spaghetti Western | Brewfist

Brewfist / Prairie Artisan Ales Spaghetti WesternBrewfist / Prairie Artisan Ales Spaghetti Western

Brewfist
Italy
brewfist.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by kylehay2004 on 05-03-2014

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 0.33 l bottle into chalice.
L: Pitch black with a weak foam head.
S: Cocoa beans and dark chocolate.
T: Great dark chocolate, grate balanced.
F: Full body and low carbonation.
O: Great example of IS.

A: Poured into a snifter to a deep black beer topped by a finger of dense dark tan head that fades quickly to a collar around the edge of the glass with minimal lacing
S: Smells of coffee and chocolate with some roasted malts. It smells like how chocolate covered espresso beans taste
T: Taste is coffee and bitter dark chocolate with some roasted malt and a hint of charred wood. Coffee remains strong and plays well with the chocolate and dark malt notes. Swallow is roasted malts, burnt sugar, coffee and chocolate.
M: This beer is full in the mouth with a slightly slick mouthfeel. Carbonation is good and just a bit under prickly while the beer has a drying finish
O: Overall this is a quality beer for the style. It has good flavors and complexity and it doesn't have any perceptable flaws. The addition of spaghetti is a little odd but it cannot be tasted in the beer. Definitely a good representation of the style and worth a try.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From Boxbeers. In Teku glass. Waching Los Soprano 5x11. Plenty of pleasant coffee in mouth and nose. Less-alcoholic than usual for the style but not lacking any of its usual qualities

3.81/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a midnight black with a one finger tan head.

S - Aroma is coffee, roasted malts, vanilla and molasses.

T - The taste follows the aroma. Black coffee, dark roasted malts, cocoa nibs, vanilla, dark frutis and some earthy hops. The finish has lingering coffee bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Soft mouthfeel with a crisp dry finish.

O - This is a nice coffee stout. I'm definetly glad I got to try it, but at $9 a bottle i probably won't revisit

4.26/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.21/5  rDev +4.2%

Happy International Stout Day 2016! I am not only celebrating, but I am also alleviating part of the Chez Woody Bottle Backlog at the same time. I love an excuse!

From the bottle: "Imperial Chocolate Coffee Stout"; "Stout Brewed with Coffee, Cocoa Nibs, and Spaghetti"; "Ingredients: water, barley malt, oat malt, coffee, cocoa nibs, hop, yeast, spaghetti".

I am taking the Good with the Bad, but it is going to get Ugly if I am unable to Pop! the cap on this bottle! I was offered the chance to buy a spare bottle opener for A Few Dollars More, but I had depleted my Fistful of Dollars & I was on a tight budget so I declined. I will just use my teeth, being the tough guy that I am. I was successful, so to celebrate, I got the bottle by its neck and shook it for all it was worth. It spewed forth in a gout and filled my awaiting glass with a finger of foamy, deep-brown head that looked around at the proceedings and beat a hasty retreat. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), as black as my heart. Nose was pungent with rich, dark-roasted coffee, underlain with spaghetti. That reminds me - it is lunchtime. I shall be taking a liquid lunch today, supping on the ingredients used to brew this luscious liquid and following it up with the smoking of a cheroot for dessert. Did I mention that my soundtrack for the writing of this review is the music of Ennio Morricone? If not, now you know. I know that the mouthfeel was medium, making kind of thin for the style. The taste was initially nothing but coffee, but then the spaghetti began to slowly shine through the morass, smoothing things out and giving the beer an oatmeal stout-like creaminess. Finish was semi-dry, but not so bitter from the coffee that I was not able to pick out the cocoa nibs on the extreme finish. This drank bigger than its 8.70% ABV & I had my regrets as it caused me to lose track of how many shots I got off. Now, some hard-bitten pig is challenging me, asking if I feel lucky. Hell, yeah, swine, I feel REAL lucky! BAM!

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

3.86/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.24/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.39/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev -1.2%

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

4.29/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.66/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

3.94/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark with very thin head. Smell is coffee, maybe over-roasted, slight chocolate, something bitter or sour in this.
Feel is quite good, mouth coating. Taste is off, slight bitter or sour. I see this is no longer available and I cannot fine any reference to a bottling date on the copy I have. Kind of screams too old or poorly handled. Might have been better once.

3.74/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was brought to a casual family dinner I was hosting tonight, so I received it graciously. I probably would not have bought it, as I tend to avoid beers with added chocolate or other flavorings, but this wasn't bad at all. It evidently was kind of old, due to the dates on some of the oldest reviews, but my bottle was fine.

The color is very dark brown/black, and in general has the consistency of an imperial stout; a bit creamy and oily (?) with a tan head and lots of dark fruit, chocolate (duh, they added chocolate) and a kind of smokey, port wine taste. If the spaghetti adds anything, it is a slight grain taste, but I am probably not sophisticated enough to clearly taste it. I do enjoy Spaghetti Westerns from the 70's though, so I get it! In the end, it was a pleasant diversion from my normal brews.

This was a beer bought just for me and enjoyed in a family setting, so it was a good experience, which is what matters most! Any brewery named Brew Fist from Italy is okay by me.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to JLindros for sharing.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a nice dark brown almost black hue with a plump mocha head that fades to leave a thin blanket.

S - Aromas of strong coffee, light almost vanilla, nice chocolaty notes, dry bakers chocolate, light nuttiness.

T - Taste is huge bitter chocolate, acrid roast. The acrid roast is just too much to get past, though the chocolate is nice.

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, smooth, creamy, almost luscious.

O - Overall this was a rather nice stout. The coffee roast was just incredibly overwhelming. Really too bad.

Serving Type: bottle