Bitter Monk | Anchorage Brewing Company

Bitter MonkBitter Monk

Anchorage Brewing Company
Alaska, United States | website

Style: Belgian IPA

Belgian style double IPA with Brettanomyces. this ale is aged in french oak chardonnay barrels. Brewed with Apollo, Citra, and Simcoe hops. Dry hopped in the barrel with Citra hops. Triple fermented- First in the tank with a Belgian yeast, second in french oak chardonnay barrels with brett, and finally in the bottle with a third yeast for natural carbonation.

Added by sprucetip on 08-26-2011

Reviews: 266 | Ratings: 1,010
4.14/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a goblet. Thank you Keith for this one, appreciate it man.

A- Pours a very, very hazy dull yellow body with a decent sized white head that reduces slowly and leaves blotchy lacing. Opaque.

S- Very nice on the nose.. barnyard funk, belgian yeast, citrus rind, lemongrass primarily, some malt and fruit in the background, bananas and spices.

T- Upfront I get an even combination of the Brett yeast, citrus peel, and belgian spices. Funky, yeasty, and spicy notes all show up on the follow through. The IPA character of this beer eventually shows its head on the finish, in which a slightly bitter resinous note sticks on the tongue.

M- Medium mouthfeel, low carbonation. Easy drinker.

I did enjoy this beer - I really wish the taste followed the enticing aromas a little more, I was expecting more funkyness on the tongue. Overall very good and recommendable, though.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Murky and hazy pale orange body. Big off-white head. Good retention.

Smell - Brett all over. Acidic notes and a lot of Belgian yeast. Pine hop profile isn't my favorite, but the Brett keeps it interesting.

Taste - Hops at first. Just a touch of sweetness before the Brett takes over. Surprisingly Bretty for how fresh the bottle is. A little tang in the back and quite a bit of bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Dry and bitter. A little harsh as a result. The Brett accentuates the bitterness in the finish.

Overall - Excellent beer. Bretted to hell, but well done. The hops manage to come through despite being a Brett bomb.

Drank from a 1 pt. 9.4 fl. oz./750ml bottle
Batch #1 July/2011
Served in a tulip
Thanks to my friend Matt for hooking me up with this.

Orangey-amber and slightly hazed appearance. The liquid was topped by a two-finger, bubbly, bright white, sea foam head. Excellent retention. The head faded to a substantial dollup of froth and eventually fell to a clingy film. Chunks of lacing stuck along the glass.

The nose was very unique. There was an interesting interplay between strong Chardonnay wine notes, Brettanomyces and crisp, bright, lemony hops. A powdery, dry, Belgian-like yeastiness was apparent. Smooth, grassy, Saaz hops came through as well.

The taste was crisp and bright. Somewhat sharp and hoppy with a lemony bite on the front end. The malt profile was light and pilsner-like. Lots of white wine and Brett in the center. Orange rind was also noticeable. The finish was crisp, piney and quite bitter, with strong oak and grapefruit notes. Super dry and tannic.

The mouthfeel was creamy, frothy and lighter bodied. Smooth and supple on the palate. The liquid contained a crisp, bubbly effervescence.

Bitter Monk is a very unique beer, and I applaud the folks at Anchorage Brewing Company in their efforts to push boundaries. However, the combination of intense Brett, oak and bitter hops was a lot to deal with (as was the $18 price tag). I would recommend splitting up a bottle amongst multiple drinkers, as consuming this beer in quantity can become a bit overwhelming.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Bottle from Tipples. Batch #3/May 2013 poured Sept. 28, 2013. Pours a cloudy yellow with small white head. Aroma of lemon zest, pineapple, dry oak, brett, orange peel. Very interesting. Flavor is big pineapple juice with definite Brett presence and lingering oak and pineapple. Bitter is there for sure. Juicy balanced by the effervescent mouthfeel, which makes it feel light on the palate for a DIPA. Very unique beer that delivers on the flavors it advertises.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

A lot of hype going into this one. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

Batch #1: July 2011

In a tulip, this bad boy has a hazy gold body that seems to just glow. The rocky cap of clean white foam on top is massive, retains well and leaves all kinds of sticky lacing.

I will preface by saying that I am not a big brett fan. The nose is very tropical smelling. Tropical as in fruit. The brett adds this nice tartness to the nose that compliments the fruit beautifully. If I close my eyes and smell, I can easily picture the beach.

The taste is quite nice, but doesn't blow me away. Like a good belgian ipa with some more complexities to it. Quite lemony, which I'm sure the brett contributes to. Bright citrusy notes with just a little sweetness. Lots of grapefruit, lots of spice notes and some light brett funk also. Some warm alcohol makes itself know as well.

Very, very dry. Mediumish bodied with lots of soft carbonation.

As usual, I got my hopes up and I was a bit disappointed. Didn't turn out to be the knockout I was hoping, but still a very good beer that is relatively unique from others in the style. I actually don't mind the brett too much in this. Pretty refreshing in a wine like way. The price is a bit steep though. Glad to have tried it, but probably won't grab it again.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow with an orange hue. There is a finger of fluffy white head that fades to a layer around the glass.

Smell: Herbal and very saison like. There is some malt sweetness along with a hint of oak.

Taste: Some hops up front but they may have faded a bit since this beer was fresh. Herbal with some mild citrus notes. The finish is bitter from the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really nice Belgian style ale. I was a bit fan of the herbal notes. I think the hops have faded, but I am still a fan. I would love to try this fresher if they bring out another batch.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

1731st Review on BA
Bottle to Pinot Noir Glass
750 Ml C/C

Batch 2
Purchased at El Cerrito Liquor

App- A glowing orange with a bit of a yellow and creme tinge behind it. A nice and puffy head. Cracky and puffy white head that faded very slowly. Great cling and lace behind it.

Smell- The Brett takes over and creates a nice funk blended with the hops and the yeast behind this one. Dry, hoppy, citrus and yeast. A great combination especially with the barrel aged wine behind it.

Taste- I liked this beer. I didnt get blown away by it, but I really enjoyed it. I think the price affected me. The beer itself was a very nice mixture of what I would say was a attempt at a very layered beer. Spot on Anchorage. Huge notes of the barrel come in, with the duality of the citrus and the dry tannic of the barrels they used. The DIPA flavor was a bit of a background noise with the Brett stealing the show.

Mouth- A solid medium body with a certain dry grassy feel to it. A bit of a cracker flavor remains with some funk, yeast and citrus zest to balance this all out really.

Drink- I paired this with artichokes, italian chicken and ravioli. Holy cow was that a good idea. Nice job anchorage. I was hesitant when this 1st came out. Glad the ticker in me had to tick this one.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

75 cl

Pours a slightly hazy golden, sugar white head is fine and retains as a foam indefinitely.

Smells of apple, bretty yeast, honey, and fresh piney hops.

Flavor is of rich honey and bready malts, tart citrus and bretty yeast notes, and a fresh floral hop finish.

Full body with fluffy carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

A nice marriage of Belgian and American influences. A tart and malty Belgian ale with plenty of American hopping. The strength and flavor make this a slow drinker, but enjoyable. Very interesting hybrid that I have seen others occasionally try, but never with this much hopping, so it feels more like an American IPA with brett than a Belgian IPA with extra hops. Ultimately unique and definitely above average means it is worth seeking out to me.

750 mL bottle marked Batch #1 July 2011

A - Pours a hazy yellow-caramel with a finger of frothy white head. Nice lacing and retention for this ABV.

S - Bitter and funky, with oak character. Enormously complex, with hop bitterness, green apple sourness, old yeasty brett funk with a leather twist, and a winey grape-oak chardonnay aroma.

T - Similar to the nose, but with very different emphasis. Sour and bitter both, with little hop flavor but plenty of bitterness. Herbal, funky, bitter, oaky, and vinous. Clear flavors of chardonnay and big brett funk flavor. Hugely acidic, with a strong finish of oak and leather. Complexity gets 5/5, but I don't especially love drinking it, to be completely honest. So fascinatingly woody, like biting into a tree trunk. I have to give it a 4/5 for all the flavors it brings to the table, and the fact that they honestly do work well together. I'd hate to knock it for what it is, so I've settled on 4/5, even though my taste preferences suggest a 3.5

M - Medium body with light but active carbonation. Acidity affects the feel by affecting the mouth in the way a sour apple or grape might -- gives you that weird feeling on your teeth.

O - Overall I love this beer for the experiment that it is, but don't particularly adore drinking it. It is a challenge to quaff, and would score low in drinkability. That said, I think is ends up being a brilliant beer overall because I've never had anything like it and at the same time, it didn't fall flat on its face. It really excites the taste buds. I'm very interested to see what Mr. Fletcher has up his sleeve in the future. This almost tastes like something Vinnie at RR would cook up, but perhaps without the restraint needed to make a perfectly balanced beer.

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A very nice Belgian IPA all the way from Alaska! However reading the bottle got me overly excited and than the beer let me down....Citra Hopped not once but twice and I love Citra....but the Belgian yeast covered any Citra hops notes I was looking for unfortunately....but still a good beer.

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle acquired at Princeton Liquors, Maple Grove, MN. Poured into a large wine glass, with the first pour at 4C, the last at 18C.

A: Straw yellow and clear with a ton of little dabs of lacing.
S: Some very light citrus hops with a wine like nose of Brett and floral notes.
T: Very definitely a Brett beer with floral and light earthiness. Bitterness that builds that is earthy. Little hop nature of note, sadly... As the beer warms a strong aftertaste builds that is not exactly pleasant, though hard to describe...
M: Bitter, funky, enjoyable.
O: A great Belgian Brett pale ale, but knocked down by the advertised DIPA. Yes, I know it was old (6 mo+), but I didn't know that when I bought it due to a lack of bottling date. Not hoppy enough, but I sense the bitterness.

4.19/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a brown 750 mL bottle marked "JULY 2011", which is the only time this one was brewed, as far as I know. That seems to be the modus operandi for Anchorage.

Appearance - Aggressive pour yields a frothy orangish cream head of lots of tiny bubbles, one finger thick. Lacing is silky and fleeting after head sticks around for a little while, but eventually fades into a healthy layering of spotty foam on top of the beer.

Smell - A full two years after the bottling date, the brett has made itself quite at home in this bottle. Brett funk and tartness dominate the nose, but still allow for veins of citrus zest to shine through unexpectedly but pleasantly.

Taste - Again, the barnyard funk is on full display here. In addition to that yeasty characteristic, there is a pretty detectable flavor profile from the Chardonnay barrels--some dry grape elements, as well as oaky vanilla undertones.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation has fallen off a little bit in two years, but not terribly. Light but close to moderate with a medium body that is slightly on the chewy side.

Overall, a beer that I've been seeking for the better part of six months, due to how much I love everything that comes out of Anchorage it seems. This one isn't my favorite of their offerings, but it's darn close, and it's one that I really wish I could have tried fresh. It seems like the time has allowed the balance to flip from hop dominant with brett elements to the inverse.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a caged-and-corked 750mL bottle into my Dogfish Head oversized snifter.

Hazy amber liquid supports a delicate raft of ivory soft peak whipped foam. Superior retention and complicated webs of thick 3-D lacing...

Apricot, passionfruit, kiwi, and other fruit presents in the nose along with a long citrus note, yeasty phenolics, and a pungent undercurrent from the Brett. Quite a melange...

Potent funk presents on the palate with a ton of earth and pepper; strong floral notes suggest lavendar, orange blossom, jasmine, and rosewater as well. The bitterness comes on slowly at first but then grows over time. I'm guessing the Apollo hops are hard at work here, the resinous core of the beer militating back against the Brett. Crisp citrus and mint notes emerge in the finish along with a moderate alcohol kick. Pine and forest floor become more present as the ale warms.

Not-quite-full-bodied, effervescent, yet somewhat oily (as it should be).

The Brett. is once again very potent in this ale, threatening to dominate the flavor profile if not for the massive contrapunal force of the bittering hops. Not sure amidst this what the barrel aging contributes...quite a BIG beer though, which should appeal to hop-heads who are fond of funk...though it may alienate everyone else.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Poured out a cloudy, golden orange color with a two-finger, white head of bubbly foam. It left thin rings of sticky lace on the glass.

S - It smelled phenolic and funky with a nice caramel nose.

T - Good funky, yeasty bite upon first sip. Nice, sweet caramel backbone and a bitter hop bite.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a clean finish.

O - This is a really great beer. Anchorage has done another great one.

10/9/2011

A: Hazy yellow orange with an impressive white sea foam cap. Very good retention and lots of lacing.

S: Ripe golden apples with notes of pear and Chardonnay. There's a good amount of oak. Brett imparts earth and leather.

T: Moderate bitterness meets leather and earth. Apple is pervasive and there's a pronounced Chardonnay presence accompanying oak. The bitterness seems to clash with the Brett, but my palate gets used to the punishment after a while.

M: Lower medium body with lower high carbonation. Dry and sticky.

Overall: Fantastic aroma and a good flavor. The price tag is hefty, but if you split the cost with someone it's worth a try.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This brew is thick with yeasty haze, golden, and supports a prodigious white head. The foam is soft and pillowy on top, & consists of large bubbles below. The retention is exceptional, and it leaves healthy strands of very dense lacing.

A bouquet of interesting aromas hit me from a distance when I first popped the cork, which I welcomed as a promising sign. When I finally stuck my nose into the tulip, the complexity I had first sensed was not readily apparent. I was getting mainly some light horsey brett and some effervescent, sweet-tart candy and lemon. This gradually refined to still modest barnyard brett melding with a lemony tartness. With time it gets more and more complex. The hops are mainly piny at first, but the citra shines increasingly brighter as I sip. I feel the boozy heat when I really dig in, and after a swirl. But I don't really smell it, and what I notice is exacerbated by my aggressive sniffing. With effort I find wee nip of malty sweetness. The Belgian yeast gently adds yet another layer of depth. And the oak barrel too. I may even detect the Chardonay...The complexity deepens immensely while the 25 ounces slowly slips away. And it all works, the various elements compliment each other well.

The Bitter Monk is a bitter beer. Hop Heads who also enjoy their hops bombs funked-out with brett and barrels and Belgian yeast, will love this one. To me the nose was defined by the brett. The taste is more American DIPA. It just keeps getting better. The dominant piny hop flavor later blends with citric hops. The vaguely sweet malty body was more pronounced than in the nose. The original Belgian yeast also comes through more clearly. The finish is dry and comes with a lingering bitterness that some will likely find harsh, though San Diego-style IPA fans will enjoy. ... By the end, it's all far more balanced and the bitterness has mellowed.

There is plentiful carbonation, medium-full body, modest warming, and a dry and bitter finish that I am not wild about.

If I could change this beer, I would tone down the bitterness overall, and the dry/bitter finish. But it is called the Bitter Monk, so it is what is says it is. The abrasive and penetrating bitterness lingers. But the complexity and balance is admirable if not amazing. Unless you absolutely loath brett, belgian yeast, or grapefruit rind bitterness, it would be crazy not to try this. Shelton Bros distributes it, so it should be widely available.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A: This beer pours deep golden orange with two fingers of foamy head typical for brett beers.

S: The smell is hard for my to pin down. I get citrus fruit, funky brett, and chardonnay.

T: The complex flavors belie the hard (for me) to decipher aroma. I tasted tangerine on the first sip, and then more lemon and white grape. the farmhouse funk is there in force, balanced nicely by the bitter hops. There's more going on here than I can accurately describe.

M: this is a light/medium bodied beer with effervescent bubbles. It is crisp and refreshing.

O: I'm not generally a fan of this style, although I've had a bit of Rayon Vert that I loved. The category for Belgian style DIPA aged in chardonnay barrels is pretty slim (I think), but this beer is exceptional by any standard. It didn't convert me to brett beers, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and I learned some things by drinking it.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip.

S - A nice combination of sourness, fresh ripened fruits, funkiness and a Sweet-tart like tartness.

A - Slightly hazy, light golden hue with a substantial bright white head and delicate lacing and some retention.

T - Very much like the smell with more of a citrus punch. The sour, tart fruitiness comes through very nicely in the taste with a perfect amount of hop bitterness. 100 IBUs well subdued by the other flavors involved. Additionally, for a 9% ABV, the alcohol was almost undetectable. Nice acidic dryness on the end.

M - Moderate carbonation. Medium body.

O - One of the more interesting beers I've had to this point, and rightfully so given all the different techniques, ingredients and blending of styles going into this beer. For such a big beer I was very impressed by how balanced and drinkable it was, while packing a creative and complex flavor profile. A real treat. Would definitely have again.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

750ml corked and caged bottle served in a Blvd. Tank 7 tulip. Poured a hazy gold with a couple of fingers of tight, white head. Dank and piney hop aroma, some Belgian yeast. Starts out with a bitter bite. Brett and barrel hit in the middle. Medium bodied. Brett really comes out in the finish. Some citrus. Oak comes through as it warms. Alcohol is well hidden. I'm liking what these guys are doing.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

A very recommendable take on a Belgian DIPA.

Presentation: 750 ml brown, caged and corked bottle. Screen printed label with a green and white design of a monk holding a chalice of the brew with a few snowflakes in the background. Side paragraph offers a description of the brew, and serving indications, back narrative exposes intent, and general background. Notes 100 IBUS, bottling Batch 1 July 2011, and 9% Alc. by Vol. Served in a tulip glass.

A -Hazy pale gold pour, rich frothy head, medium retention, fair surface memory and nice touches of lacing.

S - Nice nose hitting like a hammer with citric hops, touch of resin, funky brett, and a hint of wood.

T - Hoppy and yeasty range… Very nice, flowing over bready funky touches.. sweet caramel in the back woven with soft barrel touches, faint fruity/vinous touch. Earthy touch pushing up the hops again, Belgian spicy insinuation adds to the flow...

M -Medium body and carbonation, with a nice flow that leads to a semi/dry finish.

O - Nice an pleasing take at a DIPA laden with brett and Belgian touches...

Notes: Hmmm, that Anchorage Brewing is making a nice dent with breatty and barrel aged brews is clear. Quality and very likable. Now, if I get fuzzy on this one I might be getting so spoiled that it feels a touch perfunctory. I mean… dunno. I would not mind having a go at a regular dipa from theirs. Here so much plays with the Belgian yeast, the barrel, the brett, that it all has a bizarre predictable sense under all the great serving… Having said all that this is probably one of the best takes, if not the best, I have had at a double Belgian IPA. Nevermind me…

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

batch #3 from May 2013 reviewed in Oct so likely missed the dry hop punch - aged it a bit to see how the sour developed

Poured with vigor into Ommegang tulip

Pours a hazy brilliant yellow orange

1 finger of poofy white head that dissipates within a few min

nose is immediate sour funk with some candy apples and fruit loops, not a malty-sweet old ipa sweet smell but a fruity sugar thing

Tart then sweet with a serious sour, bitter yet overall sweet and fruity experience for 7-10 sec. How does the man do it?!?

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Poured from a corked-and-caged 750 ml into a Piraat tulip/snifter-type glass. Body surprises with its lightness of color: slightly hazed straw-apricot with a bright, eggshell-white foamy 1-finger head. A little bit of lace clings to the sides of the glass after each sip.

S: Interesting. There's a lot going on in the nose. Apricot. White wine. Lighter citrus and tropical fruit. Some funkiness.

T: I am pretty sure I have never tasted a beer quite like this. The first impression is actually the back end of things: the bitter finish (think grapefruit pith) that smooths out to a combination tart/sour/bitter aftertaste. Up front I get some fruitiness; not-quite-ripe-nectarine, a bit of apricot. White grape skins. Earthy hops with a hint of pine. After a few sips I've concluded that there's some tannins lingering with that tart/sour/bitter finish - likely the Chardonnay barrels. Also a bit of alcohol heat becomes noted as it warms up a bit. Vacillating b/w a 4 and a 4.5 on the taste score.

M: Active fizziness. Body is lighter than expected - call it light-to-medium in heft.

O: Interesting. Not necessarily my cup of tea, so to speak, but I can appreciate a well-made, unique beer. Bonus point given here, bumping from 4 - 4.5.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

appearance - hazy yellowish orange with a rocky white head.

smell - brett funk in the nose (brett c?), much stronger then I was expecting. Also get some citus, and fruityness in the nose which cold be the hops or the brett, sacc or a combo. Not really sure. Lodes of funk though!

taste - started off with a nice burst of sweetness, citrus, pineapple, the middle hits you with a tartness, and brett, and then the finish is long with the chardonnay butteryness coating the mouth. It finish's dry and bitter and buttery. Lot's of the chardonnay barrel aging came through in the finish which was a surprise. Maybe a little aggressive. There is a whole lot going on here.

mouthfeel - medium mouthfeel, medium to high carbonation.

overall - This was my favorite beer drinking experience at the Bodega in Lacrosse over Thanksgiving weekend! So glad that they continue to bring in amazing beers! I really had no idea this type of beer could be done. A brett barrel aged DIPA. That being said, they certainly got it done extremely well up in Anchorage. This is a fantastic beer and I'm glad I tried it even though I paid $25 for the bomber at a bar. Heck it was thanksgiving and I couldn't resist! Beside the chardonnay barrels adding maybe a touch too much and creating "a little too much going on" this is a great beer, and a style that I look forward to trying again in the future and maybe brewing myself!

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I poured this into a snifter.
The appearance was a nice looking hazy orange color with a light carbonation to be seen rising to fill a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute. The lacing stuck nicely around the glass in a speckled even sort of way.
The smell had a sharp peppercorn to brisk lemongrass and a refreshing sort of citrus blend.
The taste had a sharp dry spicy refreshing citrus over top of the peppercorn and lemongrass.
The mouthfeel had a dry yet refreshing sort of brisk carbonation rolling across my tongue. It saturates but is quite dry as well.
Overall, as a Belgian IPA, I say it works. I say its very well done.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

22oz corked and caged bottle shared at Beachwood BBQ #bottlecherwednesday. Poured into a tulip, this beer is cloudy orange-yellow with a finger or so of white foam that settles to a thin layer that’s retained for the duration. Lots of sticky lace rings and streaks are left behind. A very complex aroma includes citrus and tropical fruit, brett funk, acidic white wine, oak, some caramel malt, and a little vanilla. The flavors are just as layered, with a great interplay between sweet and sour bolstered by bitter underpinnings. Yeasty, funky, citrusy, oaky, and vinous. Very enjoyable to sip and savor. Medium body, a bit creamy in texture, lively carbonation, drying, puckering, long finish.

Bitter Monk from Anchorage Brewing Company