Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bitter Monk | Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company
Alaska, United States
anchoragebrewingcompany.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Belgian style double IPA with Brettanomyces. this ale is aged in french oak chardonnay barrels. Brewed with Apollo, Citra, and Simcoe hops. Dry hopped in the barrel with Citra hops. Triple fermented- First in the tank with a Belgian yeast, second in french oak chardonnay barrels with brett, and finally in the bottle with a third yeast for natural carbonation.

Added by sprucetip on 08-26-2011

#511

Ratings: 1,029 |  Reviews: 272

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A: This beer pours deep golden orange with two fingers of foamy head typical for brett beers.

S: The smell is hard for my to pin down. I get citrus fruit, funky brett, and chardonnay.

T: The complex flavors belie the hard (for me) to decipher aroma. I tasted tangerine on the first sip, and then more lemon and white grape. the farmhouse funk is there in force, balanced nicely by the bitter hops. There's more going on here than I can accurately describe.

M: this is a light/medium bodied beer with effervescent bubbles. It is crisp and refreshing.

O: I'm not generally a fan of this style, although I've had a bit of Rayon Vert that I loved. The category for Belgian style DIPA aged in chardonnay barrels is pretty slim (I think), but this beer is exceptional by any standard. It didn't convert me to brett beers, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and I learned some things by drinking it.

Bitter Monk from Anchorage Brewing Company