Bitter Monk | Anchorage Brewing Company

Bitter MonkBitter Monk

Anchorage Brewing Company
Alaska, United States | website

Style: Belgian IPA

Belgian style double IPA with Brettanomyces. this ale is aged in french oak chardonnay barrels. Brewed with Apollo, Citra, and Simcoe hops. Dry hopped in the barrel with Citra hops. Triple fermented- First in the tank with a Belgian yeast, second in french oak chardonnay barrels with brett, and finally in the bottle with a third yeast for natural carbonation.

Added by sprucetip on 08-26-2011

Reviews: 265 | Ratings: 1,004
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A: This beer pours deep golden orange with two fingers of foamy head typical for brett beers.

S: The smell is hard for my to pin down. I get citrus fruit, funky brett, and chardonnay.

T: The complex flavors belie the hard (for me) to decipher aroma. I tasted tangerine on the first sip, and then more lemon and white grape. the farmhouse funk is there in force, balanced nicely by the bitter hops. There's more going on here than I can accurately describe.

M: this is a light/medium bodied beer with effervescent bubbles. It is crisp and refreshing.

O: I'm not generally a fan of this style, although I've had a bit of Rayon Vert that I loved. The category for Belgian style DIPA aged in chardonnay barrels is pretty slim (I think), but this beer is exceptional by any standard. It didn't convert me to brett beers, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and I learned some things by drinking it.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip.

S - A nice combination of sourness, fresh ripened fruits, funkiness and a Sweet-tart like tartness.

A - Slightly hazy, light golden hue with a substantial bright white head and delicate lacing and some retention.

T - Very much like the smell with more of a citrus punch. The sour, tart fruitiness comes through very nicely in the taste with a perfect amount of hop bitterness. 100 IBUs well subdued by the other flavors involved. Additionally, for a 9% ABV, the alcohol was almost undetectable. Nice acidic dryness on the end.

M - Moderate carbonation. Medium body.

O - One of the more interesting beers I've had to this point, and rightfully so given all the different techniques, ingredients and blending of styles going into this beer. For such a big beer I was very impressed by how balanced and drinkable it was, while packing a creative and complex flavor profile. A real treat. Would definitely have again.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

750ml corked and caged bottle served in a Blvd. Tank 7 tulip. Poured a hazy gold with a couple of fingers of tight, white head. Dank and piney hop aroma, some Belgian yeast. Starts out with a bitter bite. Brett and barrel hit in the middle. Medium bodied. Brett really comes out in the finish. Some citrus. Oak comes through as it warms. Alcohol is well hidden. I'm liking what these guys are doing.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

A very recommendable take on a Belgian DIPA.

Presentation: 750 ml brown, caged and corked bottle. Screen printed label with a green and white design of a monk holding a chalice of the brew with a few snowflakes in the background. Side paragraph offers a description of the brew, and serving indications, back narrative exposes intent, and general background. Notes 100 IBUS, bottling Batch 1 July 2011, and 9% Alc. by Vol. Served in a tulip glass.

A -Hazy pale gold pour, rich frothy head, medium retention, fair surface memory and nice touches of lacing.

S - Nice nose hitting like a hammer with citric hops, touch of resin, funky brett, and a hint of wood.

T - Hoppy and yeasty range… Very nice, flowing over bready funky touches.. sweet caramel in the back woven with soft barrel touches, faint fruity/vinous touch. Earthy touch pushing up the hops again, Belgian spicy insinuation adds to the flow...

M -Medium body and carbonation, with a nice flow that leads to a semi/dry finish.

O - Nice an pleasing take at a DIPA laden with brett and Belgian touches...

Notes: Hmmm, that Anchorage Brewing is making a nice dent with breatty and barrel aged brews is clear. Quality and very likable. Now, if I get fuzzy on this one I might be getting so spoiled that it feels a touch perfunctory. I mean… dunno. I would not mind having a go at a regular dipa from theirs. Here so much plays with the Belgian yeast, the barrel, the brett, that it all has a bizarre predictable sense under all the great serving… Having said all that this is probably one of the best takes, if not the best, I have had at a double Belgian IPA. Nevermind me…

4.19/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a brown 750 mL bottle marked "JULY 2011", which is the only time this one was brewed, as far as I know. That seems to be the modus operandi for Anchorage.

Appearance - Aggressive pour yields a frothy orangish cream head of lots of tiny bubbles, one finger thick. Lacing is silky and fleeting after head sticks around for a little while, but eventually fades into a healthy layering of spotty foam on top of the beer.

Smell - A full two years after the bottling date, the brett has made itself quite at home in this bottle. Brett funk and tartness dominate the nose, but still allow for veins of citrus zest to shine through unexpectedly but pleasantly.

Taste - Again, the barnyard funk is on full display here. In addition to that yeasty characteristic, there is a pretty detectable flavor profile from the Chardonnay barrels--some dry grape elements, as well as oaky vanilla undertones.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation has fallen off a little bit in two years, but not terribly. Light but close to moderate with a medium body that is slightly on the chewy side.

Overall, a beer that I've been seeking for the better part of six months, due to how much I love everything that comes out of Anchorage it seems. This one isn't my favorite of their offerings, but it's darn close, and it's one that I really wish I could have tried fresh. It seems like the time has allowed the balance to flip from hop dominant with brett elements to the inverse.

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A very nice Belgian IPA all the way from Alaska! However reading the bottle got me overly excited and than the beer let me down....Citra Hopped not once but twice and I love Citra....but the Belgian yeast covered any Citra hops notes I was looking for unfortunately....but still a good beer.

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle acquired at Princeton Liquors, Maple Grove, MN. Poured into a large wine glass, with the first pour at 4C, the last at 18C.

A: Straw yellow and clear with a ton of little dabs of lacing.
S: Some very light citrus hops with a wine like nose of Brett and floral notes.
T: Very definitely a Brett beer with floral and light earthiness. Bitterness that builds that is earthy. Little hop nature of note, sadly... As the beer warms a strong aftertaste builds that is not exactly pleasant, though hard to describe...
M: Bitter, funky, enjoyable.
O: A great Belgian Brett pale ale, but knocked down by the advertised DIPA. Yes, I know it was old (6 mo+), but I didn't know that when I bought it due to a lack of bottling date. Not hoppy enough, but I sense the bitterness.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow with an orange hue. There is a finger of fluffy white head that fades to a layer around the glass.

Smell: Herbal and very saison like. There is some malt sweetness along with a hint of oak.

Taste: Some hops up front but they may have faded a bit since this beer was fresh. Herbal with some mild citrus notes. The finish is bitter from the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really nice Belgian style ale. I was a bit fan of the herbal notes. I think the hops have faded, but I am still a fan. I would love to try this fresher if they bring out another batch.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

1731st Review on BA
Bottle to Pinot Noir Glass
750 Ml C/C

Batch 2
Purchased at El Cerrito Liquor

App- A glowing orange with a bit of a yellow and creme tinge behind it. A nice and puffy head. Cracky and puffy white head that faded very slowly. Great cling and lace behind it.

Smell- The Brett takes over and creates a nice funk blended with the hops and the yeast behind this one. Dry, hoppy, citrus and yeast. A great combination especially with the barrel aged wine behind it.

Taste- I liked this beer. I didnt get blown away by it, but I really enjoyed it. I think the price affected me. The beer itself was a very nice mixture of what I would say was a attempt at a very layered beer. Spot on Anchorage. Huge notes of the barrel come in, with the duality of the citrus and the dry tannic of the barrels they used. The DIPA flavor was a bit of a background noise with the Brett stealing the show.

Mouth- A solid medium body with a certain dry grassy feel to it. A bit of a cracker flavor remains with some funk, yeast and citrus zest to balance this all out really.

Drink- I paired this with artichokes, italian chicken and ravioli. Holy cow was that a good idea. Nice job anchorage. I was hesitant when this 1st came out. Glad the ticker in me had to tick this one.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

75 cl

Pours a slightly hazy golden, sugar white head is fine and retains as a foam indefinitely.

Smells of apple, bretty yeast, honey, and fresh piney hops.

Flavor is of rich honey and bready malts, tart citrus and bretty yeast notes, and a fresh floral hop finish.

Full body with fluffy carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

A nice marriage of Belgian and American influences. A tart and malty Belgian ale with plenty of American hopping. The strength and flavor make this a slow drinker, but enjoyable. Very interesting hybrid that I have seen others occasionally try, but never with this much hopping, so it feels more like an American IPA with brett than a Belgian IPA with extra hops. Ultimately unique and definitely above average means it is worth seeking out to me.

750 mL bottle marked Batch #1 July 2011

A - Pours a hazy yellow-caramel with a finger of frothy white head. Nice lacing and retention for this ABV.

S - Bitter and funky, with oak character. Enormously complex, with hop bitterness, green apple sourness, old yeasty brett funk with a leather twist, and a winey grape-oak chardonnay aroma.

T - Similar to the nose, but with very different emphasis. Sour and bitter both, with little hop flavor but plenty of bitterness. Herbal, funky, bitter, oaky, and vinous. Clear flavors of chardonnay and big brett funk flavor. Hugely acidic, with a strong finish of oak and leather. Complexity gets 5/5, but I don't especially love drinking it, to be completely honest. So fascinatingly woody, like biting into a tree trunk. I have to give it a 4/5 for all the flavors it brings to the table, and the fact that they honestly do work well together. I'd hate to knock it for what it is, so I've settled on 4/5, even though my taste preferences suggest a 3.5

M - Medium body with light but active carbonation. Acidity affects the feel by affecting the mouth in the way a sour apple or grape might -- gives you that weird feeling on your teeth.

O - Overall I love this beer for the experiment that it is, but don't particularly adore drinking it. It is a challenge to quaff, and would score low in drinkability. That said, I think is ends up being a brilliant beer overall because I've never had anything like it and at the same time, it didn't fall flat on its face. It really excites the taste buds. I'm very interested to see what Mr. Fletcher has up his sleeve in the future. This almost tastes like something Vinnie at RR would cook up, but perhaps without the restraint needed to make a perfectly balanced beer.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Murky and hazy pale orange body. Big off-white head. Good retention.

Smell - Brett all over. Acidic notes and a lot of Belgian yeast. Pine hop profile isn't my favorite, but the Brett keeps it interesting.

Taste - Hops at first. Just a touch of sweetness before the Brett takes over. Surprisingly Bretty for how fresh the bottle is. A little tang in the back and quite a bit of bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Dry and bitter. A little harsh as a result. The Brett accentuates the bitterness in the finish.

Overall - Excellent beer. Bretted to hell, but well done. The hops manage to come through despite being a Brett bomb.

Drank from a 1 pt. 9.4 fl. oz./750ml bottle
Batch #1 July/2011
Served in a tulip
Thanks to my friend Matt for hooking me up with this.

Orangey-amber and slightly hazed appearance. The liquid was topped by a two-finger, bubbly, bright white, sea foam head. Excellent retention. The head faded to a substantial dollup of froth and eventually fell to a clingy film. Chunks of lacing stuck along the glass.

The nose was very unique. There was an interesting interplay between strong Chardonnay wine notes, Brettanomyces and crisp, bright, lemony hops. A powdery, dry, Belgian-like yeastiness was apparent. Smooth, grassy, Saaz hops came through as well.

The taste was crisp and bright. Somewhat sharp and hoppy with a lemony bite on the front end. The malt profile was light and pilsner-like. Lots of white wine and Brett in the center. Orange rind was also noticeable. The finish was crisp, piney and quite bitter, with strong oak and grapefruit notes. Super dry and tannic.

The mouthfeel was creamy, frothy and lighter bodied. Smooth and supple on the palate. The liquid contained a crisp, bubbly effervescence.

Bitter Monk is a very unique beer, and I applaud the folks at Anchorage Brewing Company in their efforts to push boundaries. However, the combination of intense Brett, oak and bitter hops was a lot to deal with (as was the $18 price tag). I would recommend splitting up a bottle amongst multiple drinkers, as consuming this beer in quantity can become a bit overwhelming.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Bottle from Tipples. Batch #3/May 2013 poured Sept. 28, 2013. Pours a cloudy yellow with small white head. Aroma of lemon zest, pineapple, dry oak, brett, orange peel. Very interesting. Flavor is big pineapple juice with definite Brett presence and lingering oak and pineapple. Bitter is there for sure. Juicy balanced by the effervescent mouthfeel, which makes it feel light on the palate for a DIPA. Very unique beer that delivers on the flavors it advertises.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

A lot of hype going into this one. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

Batch #1: July 2011

In a tulip, this bad boy has a hazy gold body that seems to just glow. The rocky cap of clean white foam on top is massive, retains well and leaves all kinds of sticky lacing.

I will preface by saying that I am not a big brett fan. The nose is very tropical smelling. Tropical as in fruit. The brett adds this nice tartness to the nose that compliments the fruit beautifully. If I close my eyes and smell, I can easily picture the beach.

The taste is quite nice, but doesn't blow me away. Like a good belgian ipa with some more complexities to it. Quite lemony, which I'm sure the brett contributes to. Bright citrusy notes with just a little sweetness. Lots of grapefruit, lots of spice notes and some light brett funk also. Some warm alcohol makes itself know as well.

Very, very dry. Mediumish bodied with lots of soft carbonation.

As usual, I got my hopes up and I was a bit disappointed. Didn't turn out to be the knockout I was hoping, but still a very good beer that is relatively unique from others in the style. I actually don't mind the brett too much in this. Pretty refreshing in a wine like way. The price is a bit steep though. Glad to have tried it, but probably won't grab it again.

4.14/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a goblet. Thank you Keith for this one, appreciate it man.

A- Pours a very, very hazy dull yellow body with a decent sized white head that reduces slowly and leaves blotchy lacing. Opaque.

S- Very nice on the nose.. barnyard funk, belgian yeast, citrus rind, lemongrass primarily, some malt and fruit in the background, bananas and spices.

T- Upfront I get an even combination of the Brett yeast, citrus peel, and belgian spices. Funky, yeasty, and spicy notes all show up on the follow through. The IPA character of this beer eventually shows its head on the finish, in which a slightly bitter resinous note sticks on the tongue.

M- Medium mouthfeel, low carbonation. Easy drinker.

I did enjoy this beer - I really wish the taste followed the enticing aromas a little more, I was expecting more funkyness on the tongue. Overall very good and recommendable, though.

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into a Nostradamus flute glass. Pours a hazy, medium golden amber with a thin white head that stays as a fine thick film with lacing. Aroma of Brett, white wine, apple, light citrus and light grassy hops. Flavor is also distinctive Brett, lemon, tangerine, stone fruit, mildly vinous, light coriander; finishes very dry with Brett and lingering hop bitterness with no distinct hop flavor. Medium bodied with peppery active carbonation. The yeast strain here leans more towards a saison yeast than Belgian, but there are light Belgian yeast and spicing elements present in the complex flavor. This is almos too dry for me, but the complexity of the flavor really made this enjoyable to drink. Dryness and light vinousness gives it a champagne like character, if champagne had Brett. Nicely made and interesting.

Poured into a Portsmouth Tulip

A: A light murky yellow body accompanied by an orange hue greats my glass with no discernible clarity. The mountain of dry hops is at fault I am assuming. There is a two finger white head that hangs on for a long time and slowly forms chunky mountains. It left behind a bunch of lacing along the sides of the glass as well.

S: I can seriously smell the beer from a couple of feet away. There is tons of citrus in the nose in the form of oranges, grapefruit, and mangoes. The brett kicks in pretty strongly as well with some must and funk. As I keep smelling it the oak barrels push through with an element of white wine.

T: The flavors are really intense as the hops kick in first with a zesty onslaught of citrus. Mid palate the oak really grabs hold and brings the vinous qualities with it. It finishes quite bitter and dry with a wave of brett-filled funkiness.

M: Spritzy and light it reminds me of a saison in feel.

O: Quite the unique beer and probably the only 'IPA' I have had that actually improved with barrel aging. I'd buy it again.

750mL bottle -- batch 1 -- served into a tulip glass

Pours a very hazy candy yellow color, like the color of yellow Skittles or banana Runts. Only, you know, all cloudy and such. A little less than one finger of white head like dishsoap. It's loose and thin but laces in spindly filigree.

The Brettanomyces isn't a background player in this beer. You can tell right off the bat, from the first smell, that this is gonna' be a pretty wild beer. Dried white flowers, basement must, lemon, and a touch of horseblanket. It's not too funky, but more in the wheelhouse of Orval. There's definite evidence here of dry-hopping too: pineapple and spearmint being the prominent lupulin aromas I'm picking up.

Soft, candied fruits shine brightest on the palate. I don't think that this is just a mental association, but it does have a white wine like aspect to these light tropical fruits. The Chardonnay barrel might be imparting actual flavor here beyond oak astringency; flavor that compliments the heavy dose of hops that this 100 IBU beer has. It feels like there should be some malts in this beer, but there's just a distant caramel malt character that gets overtaken on the finish by a sprucy, minty hop character. The Brettanomyces has gobbled up a lot of the malt sweetness, leaving this a pretty dry example of a double IPA. What prevents this beer from getting an even higher score for me is its level of booziness. The alchol is pretty strong in this beer, and it doesn't compliment things. It takes away from the Brett flavors, and overall feels kinda' strange without a more significant malt presence.

The body is in the medium range. It feels like it wants to be thicker, but the yeast has thinned the beer out a bit. Which is fine with me, as I prefer thinner IPAs. This is a dry beer for sure, which makes the hop flavors harsher. That may be perfect for your palate, but you might also be craving more sweetness as a backdrop.

Overall this is not as mindblowing as I had hoped it would be, but it is one of the more interesting and unique Belgian IPAs I've ever had. I'm excited to try Anchorage's other beers, as the alcohol level on this one isn't playing as well with the barrel/yeast flavors as you'd want.

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

750 ml C&C bottle. Very nice looking artwork.

Frothy, sea foam head pours out, bone white in color. Yellow-nearing-orange body. Head takes it's time settling down, leaving some nice lacing.

Very complex nose: brett, citrus, pineapple, spice and oak. Funky and fresh.

The first sip boggles the mind; this is a whole new ballgame here. Very oaky at first, with some dry cracker malts. Leads into tart citrus hops with a big, Brett funk. Very dry and funky. Faint essence of tropical fruit and spice, with a lingering hop bitterness.

An experiment that definitely works. I wasn't sure what to think of this beer at first, but the deeper I got in, the more I enjoyed it. Crafted perfectly. Very enjoyable. A little pricey, but worth it at least once.

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to Kegatron for sharing this brew with me. Poured into a snifter, the brew appears a clear golden color with a finger of white froth. As the cap fades, a wall of lace sticks to the glass.

The smell is bright with hops that are herbal. Some hints of catty quality mix with a floral aspect that blends into cheese. A hint of stinky feet is present along with minor woody notes and some juicy fruits. Some brett'd quality is evident throughout the nose that accents the herbal aspects of the hops.

The taste is very herbal and cheesy to catty from the hops. There is a dry woody flavor present that blends with an oily bitterness that clings to the inside of the mouth. This is a bold brew as far as Belgian ipas go but it blends together well. The aftertaste showcases grapefruit pulp/zest.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. Bitter and enjoyable with a pleasant depth of flavors. The alcohol is integrated pretty well. The contrast of dry brett'd wood flavors and hoppy bitterness worked in this offering. At 5+ months old, id say this is holding up pretty well an would be interesting to see how it further developes.

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Lovely, complex beer which comes close to the ideal balance of flavors. A bit more tartness would compliment the bitter, hoppy flavors. Still, an excellent beer.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a pale amber colour, nice golden tinge up to the light. Very opaque though. Head is hugely generous off-white with sparse bubbling and clumps of lace left behind. Marshmallowy top. Looks very decent.

Smell is just lovely. Loads of brett going wild, sourness with cassia, orange peel and underripe berry notes. Sour, but nice sweetness adding balance - citrus, berries and a touch of oatmeal on the back. It's really, really nice.

Taste starts out kind of sour, citric really, but develops into strong fruity mid-palate that's actually quite sweet, with peach, apricot and raspberries. Brett comes through late, giving kind of off mouldy cheese kind of flavour that doesn't quite mesh as far as the aftertaste goes. It's nice overall, but the finish could be toned down a bit, as it's a little on the astringent side. Otherwise the flavours are nice, just seems a bit off-kilter late.

Not bad on the feel for the most part, but you can sense that pull from the wilder yeast at the back and it gets to the point of puckering.

Not an everyday drinking beer, really, but well worth a taste.

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle from Boise Co-op. Pretty solid throughout, excellent nose, silky body, lighter essences, floral, grassy, bubbly. Liking it, top notch Belgian IPA.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Pours a hazy golden straw color with a big white head that left webby lacing all along the glass.

The aroma is unique and has 3 distinct aromas. The first is the belgian yeast which provides some clove and light phenols. Next comes a huge hit of brett along with the chardonnay oak barrel. Dry white grapes with some farmhouse funk. To cap things off is a a tropical fruit hop aroma. The brett dominates the aroma.

The taste is of a sweet pale malt with some light belgian yeast flavors. The brett comes in and funkifies everything. The brett goes well with the dry chardonnay oak flavor. The combination brings a nice tart flavor. The hops kick in toward the end. Some tropical fruit hops to go along with some pine. Definitely some resiny hoppy bitterness in the end. The brett not as strong in the flavor and the hops take on more of a presence.

There is a moderate feel with active carbonation. Good balance between sweet, tart and bitter.

A nice complex BIPA. The brett takes the show in this beer but the hops help to provide an offset. I would like to see a touch more clovey/phenols from the yeast.

Bitter Monk from Anchorage Brewing Company