Love Buzz Saison | Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company
Alaska, United States
anchoragebrewingcompany.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Ale brewed with Hobbs Family rose hips, peppercorns, and fresh orange peels. Dry-hopped in the barrel with Citra hops. Second fermentation in Pinot Noir barrels.

Added by daveytheformer on 09-04-2011

#825

I can't praise this beer enough. My absolute favorite. Tastes as advertised, complexity comes in waves. Different aspects shine through as the beer warms or is swished in the mouth, or as the aftertaste is appreciated rolling the tongue between the gums and cheeks. I've shared every bottle I've had, and I inevitably wish I had opened and warmed another as the bottle nears its finish.

Cheers to Anchorage for doing everything right.

A: Cloudy orange leans towards pink (think pink grapefruit juice). Voluminous head if not poured carefully.

S: Citrus, rose, wine, floral hops

T: Wonderful complexity, ventures far from a typical saison. Follows smell with the addition of oak and light funk

M: Brilliant sediment, silky, bubbling

O: My not deliver if expecting normal saison qualities, but I'm in love

I believe this is the appropriate brew for my wife and I this Valentines Day. Serving in champagne glasses.

Pours a hazy golden amber with a delicate thin white crown atop in delicate fashion. Carbonation high.

Picking up on white grapefruit sour then onto a pink grapefruit sweet, hmmm, different. Also the brett barnyard funk is there and spice. Very pleasing overall.

Rush of sour on the tongue falling to a sweetness on the sides, then going to the back with bitter citrus and peppercorn. Amazing, just like it smells. The bitter and the brett really compliment each other. An astringent pungency of grape skin wine quality lingers at the end.

Dry, crisp and refreshing. Effervescence naturally scrubs the tongue clean.

I'm very impressed with this. Appears to me more of a sour than saison. I haven't had anything like this. My wife loved it also. At $15 it's more of a celebratory beer vs an occasional libation. Job well done--Fantastic beer! Thanks for something different.

February 14 2015
After a few years this has very much the same flavour components as before but the creaminess adds such a succulent component I've had nothing like it. Yes, 5's around as no one, IMHO, can even match this. Let me know if I'm wrong. Best---bar none!

Pours a bright orange colour, hint of amber, lots of cloud. Head is jaundiced beige, nice and effervescent but pleasant uneven sinkage. Lace left is pretty damn fine. Looks... well, Gilbert? What do you think? Does it look perfect? No? Are you kidding me? Well, screw you Gilbert, you don't exist. I say it looks perfect.

Smell is funky and wonderful. So much lively, lovely funk smell that just speaks volumes of story to me. Notes of barnyard with lemon pith, livestock and fresh-cut grass, but an acidic note with citrus that cuts through, followed by a sweet-spicy note of cinnamon, vanilla, orange peel, and some cake batter malt. What do you think, Gilbert? What? You think it's a 3, tops? Well, you're wrong again. Not only are you wrong, but you don't exist and you slept with my wife, you prick.

Taste starts very sweet. Maybe a bit too sweet? Lots of malt to that with plenty of caramel and a big hit of vanilla. The wild yeast creeps up though, cleansing it, with some mild hints of lemon, passionfruit and guava, all with a nice vinegary edge that remains drinkable. Slightly savoury at the back, maybe biscuity? It's clean at the back, which is great, although the fruit notes are more subdued here. Still, crisp but with all the lovely flavours I want in a beer. Sweet, touch of tartness late-mid, then clean but plenty of flavour left over. Gilbert? Is this the best beer I've ever drunk? No, you're wrong. The clean finish is something I didn't expect, and it becomes that 'je ne sais quoi' that raises this delicious beer yet another level. It's just immaculate.

It's sharp on the front but then somehow levels out to a smooth texture. It has the effect of nudging you so you know you're drinking something with a power that's out of this world, but it doesn't overwhelm your mortal palate. Ideal.

This beer almost made me cry, it was that good. After 1200+ reviews this has become the beer I want to settle down with in the country and somehow engineer a mutant beer-human hybrid family with. Despite Gilbert yapping away in my ear about gastronomic subjugation or some shit, I can't give it anything besides a perfect score.

Love Buzz Saison from Anchorage Brewing Company