Love Buzz Saison | Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company
Alaska, United States
anchoragebrewingcompany.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Ale brewed with Hobbs Family rose hips, peppercorns, and fresh orange peels. Dry-hopped in the barrel with Citra hops. Second fermentation in Pinot Noir barrels.

Added by daveytheformer on 09-04-2011

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

2.36/5  rDev -44.6%

2.71/5  rDev -36.4%

2.73/5  rDev -35.9%

Served from bottle into snifter glasses.

A: Amber color, medium head. A little darker, perhaps, than most saisons.

S: Grassy hops, dill.

T: Weird herbal taste. Quite bitter in the middle and finish. Honestly, not nearly as good as Anchorage's other stuff.

M: Medium carbonation and body.

O: Unpleasant and overly herbal.

2.78/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

It's an attractive shade of pale orange, but nothing earth shattering. The head is white, but fleeting. There's a bit of lace, but again, nothing to write home about.

This thing pops in the nose. Candied sugar, Brett yeast and bitter orange peel dominate. All three flavors are distinct, but overpowered by the orange peel.

Wow, extreme bitterness from the orange peel just overwhelms everything else. The candied sugar shows up first, but is put to shame by a piney IPA taste. As the beer works it's way back, the orange peel destroys any remaining taste buds. I was feeling a bit sleepy, but this literally opened my eyes with the punch it provides.

I expected a nice, soft saison with a bit of sweetness and some tangy tartness for balance. Not in this beer. It's sweet for a split second, then tangy for another split second, then nothing but tart bitterness. My throut literally hurts after a handful of sips. This is a serious wake up call.

I have a bomber of this and I have no idea how I'm going to finish. It's completely obnoxious. I'm hoping the relatively high ABV will dull my senses soon.

2.92/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

batch 3

Clean bright citrus nose with tastes of phlegm and soggy wood. Really disappointing

3.05/5  rDev -28.4%

3.13/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a golden-yellow hazy color with an enormous frothy white head that leaves decent lacing as it recedes.

Aromas are very yeasty with a touch of brett and some ever-emerging oak notes. Oak and spicy/peppery yeast continues to dominate as it opens up. No hop characteristics which is dissapointing considering the Citra additions.

The tastes follow the nose with spicy, peppery yeast flavors that dominate the overall flavor profile with lots of tannic oakiness. Some odd medicinal notes emerge as it warms.

The mouthfeell is medium bodied with higher aggressive carbonation. Finish is super super dry and oaky due to the wine barrel aging and above average carbonation levels.

Overall this was a huge miss for me, flavor profile was all phenolic yeast and drying oak. Too much oak even for me and I love oak. I would have liked more of a fruity red wine presence and less of an oaky tannic assault. With how expensize these offering are from this brewery I am going to be much more cautious moving forward giving I only semi-enjoyed 1 of the 3 I have sampled so far.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

Appearance: Golden-yellow hazy pour with an enormous white head

Smell: Very yeasty with a touch of brett and some other odd notes

Taste: Yeast dominates with touches of citrus, vanilla and some medicinal notes

Mouthfeel: Agressive carbonation

Overall: Not impressed with this one at all, the yeast dominates everything and it is otherwise very one dimensional.

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This features a ridiculously citrus-laden nose, both from the Citra hops and the ale esters. Wine barrel notes are subdued, but still there. What lets me down is how basic and weak the brett comes across - this aspect honestly seems half-assed. The flavor is less citrusy and a bit drier, with an oaky finish. I get a bit of brett at first, but it's a bit basic like I said. Sandwiched between the two notes are those citrus qualities I liked on the nose. For a brett-laden saison from a hyped brewery, this doesn't seem very rustic. Complexity is solid, but it doesn't seem intrinsically balanced. It is decently dry finishing with a strong presence on the palate, though not refreshing. Rather, it's gently warming. I'm disappointed in this one - there's too much wine barrel and not enough brett. Having said that, it should improve with age. I doubt I'll pay over $10 for another bottle of this to find out, though.

3.25/5: Not particularly feeling this love buzz

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I normally like beers with Brett but this one just didn't do it for me.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Batch #2, August 2012

Apricot ale with a sheet of loose knit light foam. Smells of elderflower initially, pepper, lemon, seltzer, some grain and some clay; just a touch of musty trub. Lightly tart, quite bitter, medicinal, some bitter orange peel, a little bit of tart and the aftertaste is really grassy and filthy to me. Medium bodied on full with low carb and dry finish. A little too bitter and overly mutilated by the Brett for me. Nose is really satisfying, but the flavor doesn't do it for me.

3.41/5  rDev -20%

Purchased at Winooski Beverage Warehouse, $13. 750mL brown glass cork and caged bottle. Batch #1, Aug 2011.

Pours a slightly hazy amber with 1.5 inches of white fluffy head. Nose is full of bretty funk. Sour lemon rind and woody cut-board, sawdust funk. Palate is dominated by brett. Lemon rind, cut boards, saw dust, lime zest and earth funk. A little touch of malt comes through. I don't get any rose hips, no citra hops, maybe a suggestion of orange peel and as it warms I get a little red wine influence.

Notes: Well, just like the Bitter Monk, this beer just tastes like brett. Sure it's not as bitter, not as citrus-y as Bitter Monk. But it just tastes like brett. The beer is gone. The label sounds like a great beer, but I don't see much of it in the beer.

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

Edit: Let it breath. Left half the bottle in my fridge overnight & today it's much more bearable. The fruit on the nose is a little jucier, the brett a little downplayed, with more savory funk.

Taste is much the same as it was, though less rose & more of an orange character. Nice & acidy. Aerosol. Still yeasty, still a bit lacking.

---

Batch 1 bottle. Tight cork & a strong pop, but no gushing. Tulip. Orange/amber body. Stiff peaks. Incessantly frothy.

So perfumey. Just like kissing grandma, Rose, saline, mulch, apples, cheese rind, herbs. Adhesive, rubbing alcohol, yeast. Noxious. I sort of like it, but it's too strong & blunt, & interferes with what I could be tasting.

Big yeasty. Some orange. Something tropical. Some Band-Aid. Wood pulp. Faint, rindy bitterness. Soft, but spritzy carbonation. I liked this better fresh. The Brett ate up a lot of the wine. Though it still manages to retain some body.

One word: Potpourri.