Love Buzz Saison | Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company
Alaska, United States
anchoragebrewingcompany.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Ale brewed with Hobbs Family rose hips, peppercorns, and fresh orange peels. Dry-hopped in the barrel with Citra hops. Second fermentation in Pinot Noir barrels.

Added by daveytheformer on 09-04-2011

#813
Liked:
4.26/5
Alströms:

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have trouble finding saisons that I can appreciate, but I thought this one hit all the high points of what the style should be. Love Buzz is worthy of the buzz.

Poured into a sampler snifter, the saison was a golden orange color with a slight white head with huge bubbles. The aroma was anything but subtle with a peppery and Earthy aroma. On even gets notes of orange in the aroma. In the initial taste, one detects notes of mango, pineapple, tart apples, a hint of sour candy, and the barnyard funk that is emblematic of the style. As the taste evolves into a dry tart apple taste the aftertaste. The mouthfeel proves to be smooth and perhaps a little sticky. One may find his/herself wishing the taste would linger a little longer. If the staying power disappoints, just buy another bottle. This is really good stuff.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Due South Brewing Co. snifter. Batch No. 2 August/2012

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains a bit before reducing to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a sheer sheet of surface foam. Light semi-resilient lacing.

S- Very fruity with notes of tangerine, mango and papaya. You can also really smell the Brett but it's a clean aroma and not as sharp as other Brett-infused beers I've had.

T- Very complex barrage of fruity sweetness, Brett funk and a bit of barrel presence. Still very clean and tame all things considered. Has a decent amount of tartness to offset the sweetness. Alcohol is very well-masked and is only really sensed among the wine-like characteristics of the beer no doubt due to the barrel-aging. The bitterness of the hops comes through more as the beer warms.

M- Slick and moist with medium carbonation and a lightish body.

O- Unlike anything I've ever had before. They somehow created the perfect balance of Brett, hops, fruit and wine barrel. I never got any peppercorn out of it but I'm sure it contributed in some way I just didn't detect. A stellar saison that I will jump at the chance to purchase again.

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into an oversize wine glass. Acquired as an extra from Surge1311 thanks man!

A- Pours a hazy dull golden orange body with a gushing white 4 finger head that rises quickly but reduces quickly too. Leaves some chunky lacing.

S- The aroma of this beer makes me smile. Just like any world class brett beer, I get some incredible funky, leathery, woody aromas which combine with tart white grapes, fresh oranges, citrus peel, and some sweet malt in the background.

T- Upon the first sip I get the tradition saison notes - light fruity banana and clove. The brett funk shows itself on the follow through which pairs well with the woody grape notes of the pinot noir barrel. There is definitely a hop presence here that I wish wasn't so dominant - an astringent aftertaste that overtakes some of the nice barrel and brett notes. Would be better without the citra hops.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation. Prefer wilds lighter.

A wonderfully crafted beer. Hoppy Saison? Wild Ale? Not sure what I would characterize this as, but it's delicious. If the aroma matched the flavor it would be among my top beers, but very good nonetheless.

4.56/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Batch 1, bottled August 2011. Big thanks to match1112 for the bottle. I regret passing this up when it was on shelves here, and I was thrilled to get a bottle in a BIF. Tasted 12 April 2013.

Pours a cloudy medium orange. Huge billowing fluffy dense white head, that slowly relaxes, leaving gobs of foam and lacing all over the glass, and ends as a thick cap. Wow.

Smell is fantastic. Funky, with a delicate grape aroma, and floral notes spread throughout. This right here is why I love brett-fermented saisons. The gentle funk plays perfectly on the structure of the rest of the beer. I keep going back for more, and I just want to drink it in.

Taste is probably the low point. It's actually pretty good, but it's the sidekick to the amazing smell. Moderately funky, fruity, slightly sweet before turning tart. An amalgam of flavors, all quite nice. Relaxes into a soft bitterness before fading out.

Feel is stellar. Medium-bodied, but with loads of small-bubble fluffy carbonation, mouth-filling and vibrant, spreading the flavors around and making them dance.

This is up there with Boulevard's Saison Brett among my top saisons ever. I'm blown away, and I really hope they make this again. If only the taste had a little more to it...

2.78/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

It's an attractive shade of pale orange, but nothing earth shattering. The head is white, but fleeting. There's a bit of lace, but again, nothing to write home about.

This thing pops in the nose. Candied sugar, Brett yeast and bitter orange peel dominate. All three flavors are distinct, but overpowered by the orange peel.

Wow, extreme bitterness from the orange peel just overwhelms everything else. The candied sugar shows up first, but is put to shame by a piney IPA taste. As the beer works it's way back, the orange peel destroys any remaining taste buds. I was feeling a bit sleepy, but this literally opened my eyes with the punch it provides.

I expected a nice, soft saison with a bit of sweetness and some tangy tartness for balance. Not in this beer. It's sweet for a split second, then tangy for another split second, then nothing but tart bitterness. My throut literally hurts after a handful of sips. This is a serious wake up call.

I have a bomber of this and I have no idea how I'm going to finish. It's completely obnoxious. I'm hoping the relatively high ABV will dull my senses soon.

Love Buzz Saison from Anchorage Brewing Company