The Tide And Its Takers | Anchorage Brewing Company

Style: Tripel

Aged in French Chardonnay Barrels w/ Brett

Added by Jason on 01-09-2012

Shared with beertunes.

A: golden amber liquid with 1/2" white head.

S: sour funk, sweet pilsner malt, greasy noble hops.

T: sour funk, soft yeast, noble hops.

M: medium smooth viscosity and a medium level of soft carbonation.

O: Very tasty and drinkable.

Batch #1
OCT/2011

A= Pours a nice orange color with a two finger thick crispy white head on it that holds great retention and lacing.

S= Funky, lemony, zesty. There seems to be a bit of an oak character and a little white wine. The deeper I dig it seems like the funkier it gets.

T= Very nice funk to it. Loads of funk and a bit of a lemon zest. The lemon zest actually tastes so much like lemon zest I get the oil from the skin of the lemon it tastes like. A touch of oak and chardonnay comes through but not much. Mostly funky goodness.

M= Highly carbonated and jumps off the tongue.

O= This is another home run from Anchorage. I dunno too much about the brewery besides they are making world class beers that are hard to find but avalible for just about anyone with a keen eye. Keep up the great work Gabe and I'll keep buying these. A unique experience and worth every penny.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From a 750 ml bottle (Batch #4, July 2014) into a teku glass.

A-The beer is light-honey colored with a fair amount of particulate visible in the murky liquid. The head is about a finger tall to start and drops to a cap pretty quickly. The foam is eggshell in color and leaves a bit of lacing as I drink. Floaters are sometimes a turnoff for me, but the beer looks like a tripel.

S-The aroma opens with a big hit of fruity, brett funk. The funk gives way to a nice mixture of white wine, oak, tart white grape, lime, pineapple, and floral flavors. There is a bit of bread and dough too. It smells like a tripel, but with a nice twist of tartness and fruit. Inviting.

T-The taste is similar, but dough and bread are move prevalent and there is a bit of honey sweetness. The vinous flavors remain strong though, and there is just a bit of lime citrus flavor, as well as some peach and oak. The finish is floral and almost herbal with a bit of pepper spice.

M-The body is medium in heft with a smooth but persistent carbonation. It fits the beer very well.

O-This is a great beer. I love tripels, but I usually prefer more traditional examples of the style, e.g., Karmeliet, than modern, funky barrel-aged brews. This beer may change my opinion. The flavors here are complex, subtle, and manage to work well with each other to provide a nice overall package. The mouthfeel is nearly perfect for the beer too. This would work well with food.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

batch 1, October 2011 bottle date

Pours a bright orange-yellow with 2 fingers of fluffy white head that remain as a thin cap even 6 hours after the initial pour (I slowly worked my way through the whole bottle in an evening.

The smell is brett funk up front lots of hay and oak with a medicinal, herbal quality to it, very "musty basement" in overall aroma. Some bright citrus notes behind that. Smells slightly lactic sour but not overwhelmingly so.

The taste is wonderfully balanced. The brett is definitely the star of the show but it is not overpowering. It is slightly bitter, with some bright citrus to balance it out, just a touch sour.

Mouthfeel is just right, light without being spritzy. The 9% is well hidden, it drinks much more like a 5% gueuze than a tripel.

Overall this is a great beer. If I had to find a fault with it, it would be that from memory I can't really tell the difference between this and the anchorage wit that I had a while back. There is nothing in this beer that screams tripel to me. With that said, if you like brettanomyces, this is like a nice complex gueuze, only not as sour.

Batch #1 OCT/2011

Cloudy pale gold topped by a big, pillowy head of froth. Flowery, sweet aromas over yeasty funk...lemon zest, wood, Chardonnay, light phenols, and a dusty tartness. A hint of vanilla bean as it warms. The flavor is initially surprisingly spiced upfront before melding with citrus, cedar, earth, and a white wine dryness. The Brett is, of course, quite noticeable and adds a nice musty/barnyard funk complexity to the mix. Fruity with a bit of grassy hop crispness. Creamy and soft, yet effervescent and quite dry. A slight warmth is growing in my throat, but this is dangerously drinkable. I like this a lot. It's hard to put this up against other tripels because of the Brett/barrel-aged qualities, but it's is a fine beer all around.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

750 mL bottle courtesy of fthomasl pours a hazed light gold color with a fluffy white head. Decent lace and retention.

Nose is badass! Tart wine, leathery brett and belgian yeast...awesome stuff.

Taste is not a letdown after the excellent nose - glad to come across something like this every once in a while that you have never heard of and dont have any expectations. The brett is bold yet soft...melds with the malt so seamlessly. The wood and wine tartness is a perfect compliment to the tripel. The base beer tastes like it is pretty damn good in its own right - light grassy bitterness and delicate yeast is a perfect combination. Great beer. Buy it if you see it!

"DFH/Anchorage Collaboration"
Melbourne Bros. Stemmed Tulip
A ~ Pours a nice light bronze color with no lace. There's a 'whiteness' to it. Pretty hazy. Looks like a tripel.

S ~ Brett, French oak, Sliced pears, & lemon zest. Brett comes out more as it warms in an expression of cherries.

T ~ Brett again with stonefruit lead into a nice Chardonnay flavors with a backbone of Belgian-style pale malt flavors & light-raw sugar sweetness ending with more Brett & dry wood. Hints of Lychee & Pepper. Undercurrent of Citrus throughout.

M ~ Really crispy with some nice fruit flavors, while not being fruit-forward & sweet. Carbonation is smooth & full with a good amount of barrel flavor on it. Surprising amount of hops. Mild booze that I expect with the BA style.

D ~ Could drink this all day. The brett, barrel, & base beers are all in point here. Check it out & please refer this to wine fans who need to convert. Thanks Reza!

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I got a bottle of Anchorage Brewing Company's The Tide And It's Takers in a recent trade, thanks Dan! This will be my first beer from Anchorage Brewing Company and a Tripel with brett aged in wine barrels sounds pretty interesting to me, so lets see how it goes. Bottled in November 2012 Batch #2. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The bottle looks pretty nice, it's got a nice artsy scene of some rough seas on it and it's got lots of good information on it, I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a nice slightly pale yellow color that took on more darker yellow and golden color when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky, spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I liked the color and the lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's almost bordering on being highly sweet and it's followed by a great fruity aroma being the first to show up and it's a mixture of lemon pear, banana, pineapple and citrus rind like aromas and it leads right into some wine barrels that impart a light wine like aroma with a noticeable oak aroma coming through. Up next comes the yeast which is a little Belgian yeast like, but it's the brett that seems to show up the most and it imparts some nice funky barnyard aromas. Towards the end comes some sweet malts and a little more Belgian yeast that gives a little bit of Tripel like aroma towards the end. This beer had a great aroma, I liked the complexity, how much the brett showed up and the fruity aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with the sweet malts being the first to show up and they lead right into some of those nice wine barrel aspects that I got in the aroma and it seems to show up just enough. Up next comes the yeast with brett still sticking out the most, but the Belgian yeast is still noticeable and gives this beer just enough Tripel Like flavors, but the brett offers some additional complexity with some some typical funky brett flavors. Up next comes a little bit of bitterness followed by an earthy flavor that must be from the hops and it's followed by all those great fruity aspects that I got in the aroma with the pineapple and citrus fruits seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a lighter amount of medium tartness that lingers a little into the aftertaste with some great fruity and funky brett flavors. This was a great tasting beer, I thought all the different flavors never clashed and they came together for a very tasty beer.

M- Smooth, fairly crisp, refreshing, clean, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel, I really liked how refreshing it was.

Overall I thought this was a great beer and I thought it was a great example of a barrel aged brett beer, it's for sure not a true example of a Tripel, but there's just enough tripel aspects coming through to let me know that this is what this beer started as, but over a year and half it's became a pretty unique beer. This beer had great drinkability, it was smooth, clean, fairly crisp, refreshing, not filling and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have any problem drinking a bottle by myself, it would make for a great beer to enjoy on the porch on a warmer summer day. What I like the most about this beer was the taste, aroma and drinkability, all three of those aspects seemed to be the highlights of this beer for me. What I liked the least about this beer is nothing, but I'm not a fan of not being able to purchase it in Michigan. I would for sure buy this beer if I ever saw it, I would love to try it fresh and I would also cellar some since it seems to hold up well with age. I would recommend this to anyone who likes brett beers, it may not be a big hit to most Tripel fans, but if you like them funky then you should like this beer. All in all I was impressed with this beer and I'm pretty happy I decided to trade for this one, it's for sure a beer worth seeking out. This beer made for a great first impression for Anchorage Brewing Company and I would really like to try more of their beers. So far this is my favorite funky Tripel, I like it more than Vivant's Tripel aged for a year. This is just a great beer and I'm glad I had the chance to try it. I don't normally pair beer with things besides food, but I decided to listen to the 36 crazy fists album this beer was named after and it made for a nice pairing. Great job guys, you can be for sure I'll be seeking out more you your brews, keep up the great work.

The Tide And Its Takers from Anchorage Brewing Company