Galaxy White IPA | Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company
Alaska, United States
anchoragebrewingcompany.com

Style: Belgian IPA

White IPA brewed w/ 100% Galaxy hops, kumquats, corriander & peppercorns. Fermented in French Oak Foudres. Bottle Conditioned w/ Brett.

Added by Jason on 01-09-2012

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ML bottle
Served in a tulip glass
Batch #3 Aug/2012

A - It is pretty pale in color. I would call it straw. It is hazy. Each pour gives me a mountain of champagne-like bubbles.

S - I get some white wine aromas and some brett. Hell, I even notice some of the coriander.

T - The taste is vinous at first. Then I get a little funk. Some alcohol and coriander creep in at the end.

M - Medium with a boatload of carbonation.

O - I read the bottle, and it sounded great. I poured the bottle, and it looked great. I tasted the beer, and it was pretty darn good. I really like everything about this beer, except that I only purchased one bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

3.82/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

650ml --batch #4 Dec 2012
A: like a golden lager with less carbonation. Transparent.
S:fresh, fruity ... grapefruit rind, floral, spice; canned fruit cocktail ! ... complex
T: bizarre ... starts out like a sour and then turns bitter like biting through grapefruit rind. Razor sharp. And it lasts and lasts. It's sour but bitter too. Weird. I don't taste any maltiness at all. I'm really not sure if I like it much but it's certainly memorable and makes me want to have another sip just to explore all that's going on. It gets even better when it's not so cold ... but that sour sensation (more than taste) really lingers.
M: medium-light bodied. Clean bitterness but with a lingering sourness.
O: I'm not one to think too highly of beers that push the edge but this one is pretty interesting. And it just keeps getting better and better as I linger over it. I don't think that it's completely together but it's pretty darn good. I'll definitely look and buy another bottle.

4.14/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Hay, lemon-meringue hue with a sudsy head and good lacing

S: The yeast and the hops make some crazy aromas: grass, pepper, lemon, weeds, dandelion, flowers, apples, other citrus fruits--man, this smells spectacular

T: Slightly dry up front with loads of citrus, grass, flowers, pepper; not quite as crazy and complex as the aromas hinted but still quite tasty

F: Creamy, medium body

O: A complex, strange beer but so thoroughly enjoyable

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Batch 3 Aug 2012
Brought back from Maine 750 ml cork and cage. Slight misfiring cork grazed the side of my head before ending up across the room. Pours out half foam atop a cloudy light straw liquid. Lots of lace and mad retention. The aroma is certainly tart and a bit funky. Saison like aroma with lots of spice a bit of tart citrus and tropical fruits with some hops still evident and a vinous character deep underneath. The flavor is more funk than tart with bits of citrus evident as well as some light wine notes. Medium to light body with a huge level of carbonation and a dry crisp funky mouthfeel. Nice beer but not much of an IPA after a years aging. I enjoyed this aside from the cork headache.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, light straw color with ample head. Tons of carbonation present in this beer, which is not surprising considering the Brett that this is fermented with. Very good head retention and lacing.

Smell: Smells extremely funky. Very spicy and pronounced horseblanket smell. Underneath that, the hops start to come through. Plenty of citrus as well as some tropical fruit scents.

Taste: Some bready and dry, wheaty malt peeks through initially, but that is quickly overshadowed by citrus, orange, mango and coriander. Completing the middle and back end is some serious hay funk.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Mouthfeel is light with ample carbonation. Very good for the style. Overall, I thought this was a very good Belgian IPA. I'm not the biggest fan of the style, but this one was very well done. The prominent funk aside, lots of great tropical fruit scents and flavors make this beer a good one to try.

Galaxy White IPA from Anchorage Brewing Company