Galaxy White IPA | Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company
Alaska, United States
anchoragebrewingcompany.com

Style: Belgian IPA

White IPA brewed w/ 100% Galaxy hops, kumquats, corriander & peppercorns. Fermented in French Oak Foudres. Bottle Conditioned w/ Brett.

Added by Jason on 01-09-2012

4.51/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The number of discriptors on this bottle is ridiculous. The cork hit the ceiling as it popped off. The beer pours a straw gold with a fluffy head that eventually fades. Brett is apparent in the aroma, with some tropical fruitiness from the hops (or maybe the cumquots, I have no idea). The flavor is dry with plenty of funky Brett, earthy hops, and some nice corriander and spice. The finish is bitter and dry with hits of oak. The bitterness lingers nicely. Pricey at $12 but delicious none the less.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Massive white head that left a nice lacing over cloudy straw coloured liquid, SRM 5.

S: Coriander, grass, pine, weeds, earth and some faint barnyard funk.

T: Spicy, pepper, lemon, coriander, grass, earth, pine, peach/passionfruit and some sourness on the back end.

M: Medium viscosity and a medium level of carbonation.

O: Interesting and complex flavour profile, I have a feeling this beer will be like Orval where it will be very different and much more sour with some age on it. Actually, this seems more like a Belgian beer than a North American. Either way, this beer is fantastic.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Popped the cork of 22 oz bottle & poured into my Russian River stemmed glass. Foamy head explodes filling the glass in spite of a very careful pour.
Head retains very well with nice lace as head gradually recedes.
Golden color.
First impression is of a typical Belgian IPA but then the nuances take over challenging the senses. Sweetness, spiciness, sour notes make for a very enjoyable experience.
A great sipping beer so bold I couldn't finish the bottle at one sitting. Rebottled into a swing-top bottle to finish at a later time.
I love a good Belgian IPA - quickly becoming one of my favorite styles and this didn't disappoint.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Lots of yeast action in this bottle, the cork almost took my eye out and the head is insane. Lots of sticky spiderweb like lacing. This thing may never die. Extremely yeasty nose. Lots of earthy and farmhouse notes. Lots of spicy notes. Super hazy pale bright yellow color.

Very nice beer. Brisk effervescence. Bright citrus from the cumquats, Spicy coriander and pepper. Spicy citrus hops with a bit of pine. Drying hop bitterness that lingers. At only 50 IBUS its got a nice bitterness. Nice lingering sweetness as well. Rich and complex beer. The spice from the coriander and peppercorn go along well with the citric bittering galaxy hops. Touches of passion fruit and citric fruit salad. Deeply complex and highly drinkable. Lots of earthy yeastiness. Musty funkiness. Very awesome beer. I love it. Lots of passion fruit as the beer warms.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

A- Wow, this brew is full of life! As soon as I took the wire off the cork, it pressed its way out to a large sounding "pop"! Upon pouring, I got nothing but thick white foam, which took a couple of minutes to settle...it's very champagne like for sure! It is cloudy, with plenty of yeast suspended....hard to see the carbonation, but believe me, its there. The lacing is actually very watery...something I didn't expect actually.

S- This has a very earthy/fruity aroma overall. There is plenty of fresh leafy hop cones noted and it is very fruity.....citrus to be exact.....full of grapefruit and tangerine. Spices are aplenty as well, with the coriander upfront, and a bolder smell, which I'm guessing comes from the peppercorn...almost enough to make a guy want to sneeze! It is also rich with yeasty biscuit like aromas...buttery in fact! This is a complex smelling beer, which very nice!

T- Well we get the best of both worlds here style wise! Right upfront are the bittering hops that make the sides of my mouth pucker. Once the initial bitter shock is gone, the flavors get deeper, with the hops themselves becoming very leafy. The fruitiness is also apparent, but the grapefruit aromas I smelled earlier, turn more into pomello and navel orange like. There is a spice that just hits the back of my palate and tickles my throat.....a subtle peppery note. The hops especially are very noticeable upon belching lol.

M/D- This is a highly carbonated beer, as noted before, and scrubs the palate very much so! It's a decent balance between bitter and citrus that, while I find thin bodied, is very refreshing and I'm finding it very easy to get through this 750ml bottle quickly. The alcohol is hidden very well but will sneak up on a person I'm guessing. I'm pleasantly surprised that I am enjoying this as much as I am, as I'm not a huge IPA guy, but the melding of styles works beautifully! I recommend this one and would have no issues picking this up again!

Galaxy White IPA from Anchorage Brewing Company