Galaxy White IPA | Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company
Alaska, United States
anchoragebrewingcompany.com

Style: Belgian IPA

White IPA brewed w/ 100% Galaxy hops, kumquats, corriander & peppercorns. Fermented in French Oak Foudres. Bottle Conditioned w/ Brett.

Added by Jason on 01-09-2012

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased while in Anchorage.

Very interesting brew. Poured a hazy light golden straw color (like a wit). Only a little musty on the nose, but did get some sweet citrus too.

Having had an all galaxy IPA before, I thought this didn't showcase the hop all that well. The bitterness is nice for an IPA, but there is a sharp note on the finish (could be the peppercorns?) that most IPA junkies wouldn't like (and I had to find myself pausing and try to figure out what my palate was picking up). I only noticed it on the first few sips--after that tasted like a slightly funky IPA. I dig the funk, but this beer seemed to be going in too many directions for me.

This is definitely one for beer nerds as this beer is more of an "esoteric" IPA. If you are like me an enjoy trying every type of beer out there, its definitely worth a shot. However, if you think this is going to be Belgian, a wit, or even your typical IPA, this brew may leave you scratching your head.

Kudos for pushing the boundaries of beer--its different, thats for sure. Probably wouldn't buy again.

Grade: B

3.37/5  rDev -16.2%

A: Pours pretty much clear, almost colorless. A one finger white head forms and recedes in a second to a ring. Light lace.
S: Earthy yeast up front with some peppery spice. Hops come into play quickly. Zesty lemon, orange peal, grassy hops.
T: Up front is the same as the nose. Earthy, spicy, zesty lemons. Tangy orange peal, grassy hops. Though a chalky flavor comes into play. Chalky like aspirin flavors that lingers and detracts for me.
M/D: A medium body that is a bit thin. Again, very chalky in the mouth that I am not a fan of. Not hard to drink, but one is enough.

I love what Anchorage has been doing, though this did not hit the spot for me. It is not bad at all, I am just not a fan of the chalky flavor/consistency that I get. Worth a try if you are a fan of their other offerings however.

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Corked bottle ordered through letspour...poured in Corsendonk chalice glass.
Even before opening, you can see this is a hazy, hefeweizen, modestly or unfiltered beer.
Nice pop of cork...pours a cloudy yellow gold, white gold...Belgian wit color.
Big head of clouds hangs quite a bit.
Aroma is big...tangerine, clove, rosemary, cardamon, black pepper, kumquat, vibrant hops, citrus, citrus hops, mango, orange.
Big carbonation and spicy mouthfeel.
Flavors of funky, bitter hops and malt. Whoa...I'd better give this 5 minutes...
OK...it's opened up and that helps...cantalope and hop aroma, nice head remains, cloudy but not noticeable particulates...yet! Rich, bold flavors...somewhat of an assault on the tongue and mouth but not a complete palate wrecker, so to speak! There's some cream of tartar, a slight chalk dryness, some melon rind juice, subtle sweetness, herbs, yeast...strange strong abv saison qualities. The French oak leaves a big imprint, or, masks some inherent flavors. This is an example where I wonder if oak helps a good beer. Then again, the Brett also adds complexity, and I'm not sure it helps. I guess it's what you're hoping for, and I should therefore be open minded to what's offered, but it's bitter, dry, funky and, for me, significantly difficult.
Funny thing...I only just looked at the side label that mentioned kumquats and peppercorns. I sometimes mention these as flavors in beers that don't actually contain them, but this time it does...that explains quit a bit...gosh darn kumquats. OK...that said, I'm half way through, solo on this bottle, and will give it another five minutes....
Yep...brought a taste to a distinguished beer taster and she said bitter and gave me the puckering "uh what's this" expression. Not pretty. Still, I appreciate this...am amazed I guessed kumquats, find it bold and tasty, especially after some opening up, but unnecessarily complex, busy, bitter, and weird.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

3.46/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours very light straw with a big airy foam with good retention and lacing.

Smells of slight citrus, but is overpowered by the brett and spices.

Starts off with a nice flavor of citrus and kumquat. The brett then takes over mid-palate is a bit too overpowering, but not a show stopper. Finishes with a wicked pepper spice that I'm not a fan of at all. This did subside a bit as the beer warmed, and it was a substantially better beer at that point.

Fairly light bodied with good carbonation.

The brett is a bit overpowering in this and it was downright bad to the harsh pepper aftertaste while cold, but the warmer it got, the more that receded and the better the beer got. Marked down a bit because of the initial taste, but by the end of the bottle was actually pretty good.

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours a bit foamy head (half the pint glass) on the lightest straw body.
The aroma is a big hit of spices and flowers. Nice.
The taste is fairly clean, a little spice, mellow fruits and finishes with a mild lemon bitterness.
The texture is crisp.
The aroma is great, the flavor may get better with age.

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

Really nice looking beer, slightly opaque golden color with a decent looking head. It is one finger but the bubbles are rather medium sized and tehy all line up to try and reach the top to escape into the atmosphere. My nose detects citrus, orange, lemon, grass, and then hay and a slight note of basement and funk...yes some barrel too. Everything seems good so far, then I tast the beer, bummer. Right off the bat it is good. Hoppy, citrus forward flowery punch, a hint of crisp white wine, but then...dirt, earth, just poor fermentation management on the brett scene. The minerally quality of anchorage brewing has got me down. Mouthfeel is overly spritzy to style. A let down, I'm over this brewery.

Galaxy White IPA from Anchorage Brewing Company