Haffenreffer Private Stock | Private Stock Brewing Co.

Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock
Liked This Beer
2.94 w/ 113 ratings
Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock

Private Stock Brewing Co.
Massachusetts, United States

3.5/5  rDev +19%

1.75/5  rDev -40.5%

1.5/5  rDev -49%

3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Spent a good week in the car, so...

Pours a brilliant light golden yellow with a foamy one inch white head that dissipates somewhat quickly with large bubbles.

Corn, grain, and alcohol esters are accompanied by light floral notes. There's a bit of a solvent scent.

Flavor is somewhat sweet, with a grainy astringent character hitting mid palate, finishing slightly bready. The underlying estery alcohol character dominates as it warms.

Body is moderate, with carbonation moderate to a touch high, and a hint of alcohol burn.

Not very experienced in the malt liquor region, but it's better than some I've had. Definitely hot, but at least the esters aren't offputting, and there is some malt backbone.

2.5/5  rDev -15%

4.3/5  rDev +46.3%

This is a really great malt liquor. I'd heard of it and picked some up when I was in Massachusetts. I had no idea it was actually MADE in Mass. at the time. This is definitely one of the best malt liquors I've ever had. It's been sitting in my fridge for months, too, so it may have been ever better fresh. I don't think I like it quite as much as Olde English, but it would definitely be absolutely perfect if I was in the mood for something less sweet than an OE. This has a lot of similarities to it. The unmasked corn flavour and muskiness are both there and it has a very pleasant "old man beer" flavour to it. It's just a little drier than most malt liquors. There's definitely some hops in there providing a little bit of balancing bitterness and while there is sweetness, it is more in the background and not as "in-your-face" as in a lot of malt liquors. If you're looking for something in a 40 oz. bottle, this is an excellent way to go. It's almost too good to be marketed that way. Almost.

1.75/5  rDev -40.5%

2.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Do they still make this stuff? And perhaps more importantly, do people still drink Haffenreffer???? Okay, I'm going to cheat on this review, and proceed entirely from memory, as the last time I sampled one was in my college days, 28 years ago. I have not had one since. Although in fairness, maybe I am fit to be a proper judge, as I must have consumed dozen upon dozen cases of the stuff. I'm really curious if the modern version, tastes anything like the version from 25 years ago. The drinking age was still 18 years old in those days.
The one poster who stated- "This was the King, the Elite of malt liquors" was right. At that time, we drunk it from green bottles, often a bit skunky tasting, something like Heineken but with an alcohol kick to it. My dorm-mates and I always had cases of this stashed for parties and beer busts. And of course, the parties had predictable results- People passed out and strewn about on the floor, fights breaking out, students running through Boston naked at 5:00am and jumping into the toxic Charles River for a swim, students disappeared for days, etc. Wild stuff. Forget Mezcal con gusano, absinthe, etc... Haffenreffer will take your mind places it does not want to go, places where it should not go. When consumed in mass quantities, it feels more like magic mushroom trip than an alcohol buzz. But getting back to taste- We would freeze these things, and they would slide down easy, smooth for a malt liquor and had a dry finish even. I have not seen it for years in any stores, this might be a regional thing. I will have to hunt some down for old times sake! Remember the little symbol puzzles on the bottom of the cap??? Classic stuff.

3.43/5  rDev +16.7%

Thanks to Reagan1984 for one of the greatest extras in recent memory. 40oz clear bottle, complete with paper bag. Shared at my birthday after pouring some out for my homies who couldn't be there.

A - White foam settles to a thick collar, wisps, and a few tiny specks of lace. Transparent straw body.

S - Corn, grains, and perhaps a touch of steamed vegetable. No obvious alcohol, making this surprisingly clean and inoffensive.

T - The taste is corn sweetness, but it manages to avoid the cloying levels that plague most malt liquors. Mostly devoid of off-flavors and alcohol, but that's to be expected at the lower ABV.

M - Surprisingly smooth medium body, pleasant moderate-to-low carbonation, and no alcohol burn. Actually pretty nice.

D - For a malt liquor that isn't made by a 'craft' brewery this is pretty good - near the pinnacle of the style actually. Some might argue that the 6.9% ABV is cheating and that this should be in the adjunct lager category, but the awesome bottle says otherwise. A must-try for lovers of malt liquor. I think we actually finished nearly all 40oz at the party after the initial splash was poured on the pavement.

2.61/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 40 oz. green bottle, Haffenreffer Private Stock has a very thick, creamy, cream-colored head, a clear, bubbly, golden appearance, and lots of fairly thick lacing left on the glass. The aroma is a sickly-sweet grain husk smell. Taste is of sweet & sour grain husks, old bread, some hop bitterness, and it's fairly cloying and alcohilic. Mouthfeel is leaning towards medium, and Haffenreffer Private Stock finishes semi-dry, crisp, and rough. Drinkability is not particularly high with this. When I tried this from the can in 2009, when it was still owned by Pabst, it was much better. I rate this iteration 1.5 stars (ordinary).

RJT

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

3.5/5  rDev +19%

4.06/5  rDev +38.1%

Pint can into, what else, a plastic cup. Thanks to the guys at NEBCO for sharing such a rare, tickable beer.

A: Clear bright gold body under an inch of frothy white head. Ok retention, sticky lace. Looks exactly like a Malt Liquor should.

S: Simple silo: corn, grain husk, and light ethanol burn. Simple, straightforward, and to style. My nostrils are tingling but my stomach isn't turning. Success!

T: Nothing but grainy sweetness - lots of corn, some barley, and even a hint of almost-certain-non-existent rye spiciness. Booze is present but restrained. Pleasant - remarkably so for this style.

M: Lively - but not prickly - medium body. Quite creamy and pleasant for what it is.

O: What a nice surprise! An inoffensive Malt Liquor! I didn't think such a thing existed, and perhaps it's only possible due to the rather restrained ABV, but Private Stock is the real deal. I started out with a fairly small pour just to choke it down for the review, and I wound up drinking the entire can. I actually kind of liked it - it definitely has more flavor than any other cheap beer I've tried, and yet its flavors weren't all nasty off notes. Well done Haffenreffer!

Cheers!

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Haffenreffer Private Stock from Private Stock Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 11.5% out of 100 with 113 ratings