Haffenreffer Private Stock | Private Stock Brewing Co.

Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock
2.95/5
Poor
Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock

Private Stock Brewing Co.
Massachusetts, United States
privatestockbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

2.75/5  rDev -6.8%

2.5/5  rDev -15.3%

3.5/5  rDev +18.6%

3.48/5  rDev +18%

Previously unknown tall boy can of malt liquor for a buck and change? Sure, I'll indulge. Picked up on a whim from St. James beverage.

Pours a bug fluffy head on a pure gold body. Nose is inoffensive cereals and sugar. A little sour note at the finish gives this an old world feel. Overall, relaxed and drinkable. Nice for the price.

2.65/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a 24oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains grain, light malts, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a strong malt sweetness even for the style. Then bready flavors of grain and adjuncts follow. The hops presence is very mild but brings some balance. The after-taste is kind of sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, considering that this beer is intended to be an inexpensive way to get drunk quickly it’s not that bad, but that’s all there is to any quality in this beer.

3.58/5  rDev +21.4%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #44 (Sep 2010):

Good ol' Green Death always came across as a respected beer among its peers. Filtered clear-golden color; crack- ling white head only leaves a thin ring of lace. Bit of sweet-cooked corn in the somewhat clean nose--yes, even malt liquors want to be smelt up. Big smoothness with a snap of crispness. Clean and on the sweet side. Some bitterness from the hops and a kiss of alcohol help to balance. Drinkable with a clean finish; a charmer compared to the rougher of its ilk.

3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a 22 ounce mug. No freshness date.

A- Dark gold, thin white head.

S- Sweet grains, floral notes.

T- Sweet grains, sweet malts but watery. The flavor was not that strong. Alcohol is masked very well. Its still drinkable even as it warms in the glass, which says a lot for the style.

M- Medium bodied and highly carbonated.

D- Not bad, but 6.9 abv, be careful.

I tried this out due to the price and decent ratings it got. I have to say for the style it isn't all that bad. It won't be a regular for me but I'll drink it again. This tasted a lot like Tatra.

1.5/5  rDev -49.2%

In an effort to officially try each style (and review) I picked up this 24oz can while shopping yesterday. Too bad they didn't have the bottles with the picture puzzle under the cap. I liked those. Been forever since I've had one of these. What I find interesting is that the ABV is only 7%. I always imagined "malt liquor to be much higher.

Pours with a 2 finger bright foamy head that immediately settles and fades. The beer is a bright clear gold/brass color with a speck of carbonation. Lacing.... um.. no

Aroma is sweet and grainy. Like boiled vegetables.

Wow, I am really surprised here. The flavor is much worse than I imagined. Sweet, mushy and of cardboard. I am honestly shocked how poor the flavor is. I think they forgot to put any hops into this beer.

A combination of sweet in your mouth with an almost powdery finish.

Good thing I bought this just for the experience. No need to do that again. Man we had no taste in college, did we?....

2.49/5  rDev -15.6%

What a fantastic weekend! I have decided to up my numbers to figures divisible by ten before recommitting to The CANQuest (TM) for which I should be committed. My local has a plethora of inexpensive 40s for sale and so I am revisiting some beers that I initially had in a CAN as further penance for my sins.

Dang! I poured a good, rocky two fingers' worth of bone-white head, then I began typing and looked away and by the time I looked back, it was gone! In the interest of equal time, it did leave a good bit of lacing in its wake. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity (I could read my next door neighbor's Sunday comics). Nose was, well, when I initially unscrewed the cap (yeah, you read that correctly), skunky. It may or may not be attributable to the green bottle. Taking a whiff from the glass, it was less pronounced than it had been following the pour and I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Would they really use Saaz hops in a cheap AML? Taste was not skunky at all, but it was sickeningly sweet. Wow! Between yesterday's malty love fest and this, I may yet develop adult-onset diabetes to go with my adult-onset asthma and my early arthritis. Great. The mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a sugary sweetness laced with a mild hoppiness on the tongue. Phew! Man, I would rather have fusel heat than sticky sweet, but at least, it is mildly palatable. I have had some beers that could not even make that claim. Finish left me thankful that it was cold and that I was not out in the alley, drinking with my neighbors.

3.47/5  rDev +17.6%

16oz tallboy into Newport Storm pint glass.

A- Wow! Big fluffy head on this one. Fizzes down in a minute or two. Golden body.

S- Cooked veggies, sweet malts, grassy notes.

T- Sweet malts are most dominant but I use 'dominant' loosely. Nothing really stands out. Well, the carbonation. Sweetness in the finish is rather nice, actually.

M- Highly carbonated, best served cold.

D- Fairly high. I enjoy this malt liquor, and think it's better from the can.

3.36/5  rDev +13.9%

Thanks to Phil for hooking it up with this 4-0.

A: The pour is a clear yellow color with a fluffy white head with surprisingly good retention.

S: Sweet corn and grains on the nose are the bulk of the aroma, which is fairly light. Maybe a bit of a straw note, too.

T: A nice sweetness to the beer that does not really have any inherent flaws or off-flavors (somewhat of a rarity for malt liquor). Certainly heavy on the adjuncts, but not like eating corn on the cob or anything.

M: The body is light with a very lively carbonation.

D: Probably one of the better malt liquors and certainly deserving of the Private Stock emblazoned on the label.

3.07/5  rDev +4.1%

New tradition starting tonight, 40 ounce Thursdays. For the following several months, every Thursday possible, I will review beers served in 40 ounce bottles or beers that are on the "Bottom of the Barrel List"...tonight I'm starting with a shining star of the Malt liquor world...in a distant THIRD PLACE HAFFENREFFER! by Pabst. Beer poured from the 40 into a half liter glass.

Beer is yellow and clear and heavily carbonated. Forms a pretty thick head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Neat. The carbonation is really big bubbles that rise quickly through the beer. Makes the beer appear pretty thin, which I suppose is accurate. Looks fine.

You won't believe me but it kind of smells like a bar of soap. Shit, I have to drink this whole thing? Damn it.

It tastes like nothing at first, then really sweet, then like boiled corn. D'oh! Beer is thin and there is surprisingly little carbonation on the palate. There is no real bitterness but there is an aftertaste that grows. It gets better the more I drink but its not going to get to "good" anytime soon. As far as malt liquor is concerned....eh, I guess I'll develop a palate for them over the coming months.

I drank the whole thing, this beer eventually started to dry my mouth out.

3.36/5  rDev +13.9%

24oz can. Clear, bright gold with a thin collar of white bubbles and a bit of slightly sticky lace. It doesn't smell like much at all, maybe a bit of sweetness and cereal - that's about it. Bitterness was almost non-existent. Quite sweet, slight cereal and grain flavours. Clean overall with just a hint of fruitiness in the finish. Not too much alcohol flavour or warmth either. Medium bodied with coarse carbonation that thankfully was fairly low and mellowed after about 15 minutes. Overall, not bad. It's clean and about as inoffensive as you're going to get from this style.

3.21/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From the 40 ouncer! Sampled on June 5, 2010. It pours pale yellow with a two inch very fluffy white head that takes forever to settle. I was not drinking it ice cold. The aroma is slightly malty with some adjunct ingredients like grain, corn, and rice notes but overall it is not very enticing. The taste is a bit better with a kind of smooth balance of malts and some distant hop notes. But mainly the taste is comprised of malts and adjuncts. Still, it does not have that skunkiness often associated with green bottles. As a young man this was one of my regular "get drunk" beers. Now at age 50, I drink it more for the memories not the flavor.

3.02/5  rDev +2.4%

You know 40oz should be a serving type. I'm also guessing that this one was sitting in the sun for a while. I'm looking forward to malt liquor...with the import taste. Thanks to IBUnit63 for sending this one as my losings in the LNBA 09 FF.

A- Super clear straw colored beer with a good head to it. Seems pretty standard so far.

S- A good deal of grain straw comes though with this astringent alcohol smell mixed in. There is something that is kinda fruity in smell most likely as a result of the lager yeast.

T- There isn't much of a taste here. I am getting a great deal of a metallic taste though. Other then that this is pretty tasteless. I would equate this to carbonated water mixed with a weak barley tea.

M- Fizzy with a good deal of carbination.

D- Well water is pretty drinkable, and so is soda water, so yeah this has drinkability.

3.76/5  rDev +27.5%

Poured this from a 12 ounce can into a glass. Bright golden color. Sweet boozy smell. The alcohol is very apparent and very relaxing. The mouthfeel is smooth and very drinkable. Probably one of the best malt liquors I have drank. A great find indeed.

2.56/5  rDev -13.2%

A: Darker Golden Color

S: Very Alcohol Forward

T: Slightly Sweet and Strong with Alcohol

M: Very Bubbly, almost stings

D: A little on the heavy / strong side.

I rate this my #3 Malt Liquor - Used to drink in high school in Philly. Before I moved on and traded up to Crazy Horse and Eventually Mickey's.

3.22/5  rDev +9.2%

From a 16 oz. can. Pours a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malt and corn. Taste is crisp and malty with some hints of corn. Feels light bodied in the mouth. Drinkability is pretty good, and packs a bit of a punch. Overall this is a beer is not bad as far as malt liquors go.

3.36/5  rDev +13.9%

Crystal clear bright light golden color. Inch of fast rising pure white foam took about four minutes to dissipate. Single steam of tiny carbonation bubbles. Sticky web lattice.

Sweet grains hit the nose with decent strength. Faint buttery scent. Hop bitterness and a faint ethyl presence are hard to detect against the grains.

Sweetness caries over to the taste. Buttered corn taste dominate. Just the slightest note of alcohol with a bitter hops burst.

Decent on the tongue. Carbonation is very calm on the tongue. flavors fade fast.

A solid choice. Would work to wash down hot dogs and onion rings. Not a choice against other styles but in style it is a good choice. Great for a cheap night with one 40.

3.34/5  rDev +13.2%

pint bottle poured into a pilsner glass. pours a crystal clear pale straw color with a half finger of loose white head that has poor retention after a hard pour. just as would be expected in appearance.

aroma is of lightly bready malt and a light floral note, albeit a bit stale. not much else from the nose, with an overall character that is promising.

taste is more of the same with a mild alcoholic tinge and a profile that is much less pronounced than the aroma. on the palate, the brew is almost nonexistant, with only a touch of pale malts and a distant note of bready yeast in the background. quite odd on the palate considering the aroma is pleasant.

mouthfeel is light bodied, with quite possibly a finish that is crisper than any other brew this BA had experienced. there is literally no evidence of the liquid on the palate after swallowing. very intriguing.

drinkability is decent. as far as straw colored effervescent brews go, this one falls apart on the palate, and has an ultra-crisp finish. that being said, the profile is semi-fresh and without the staleness that tends to plague pale lagers.

This is malt liquor, when I remember drinking this "style," it was Olde English, and it burned like hell, but hey I was at summer camp and I was 14 so what did I know. Anyways if you are strapped for cash and you want a buzz this is the way to go. 3 bucks for 40 oz of a 7 percent beer that doesn't taste like battery acid, it is reassuring to know that this is an option. As far as taste goes, it is a less creamy Narragansett, just tastes like cheerios (cereal grains go figure) but when you think of the other beers in this category it is top notch, for the strength and lack of craft one of the more drinkable brews.

Haffenreffer Private Stock from Private Stock Brewing Co.