Haffenreffer Private Stock | Private Stock Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock

Private Stock Brewing Co.
Massachusetts, United States
privatestockbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

1.5/5  rDev -51%

In an effort to officially try each style (and review) I picked up this 24oz can while shopping yesterday. Too bad they didn't have the bottles with the picture puzzle under the cap. I liked those. Been forever since I've had one of these. What I find interesting is that the ABV is only 7%. I always imagined "malt liquor to be much higher.

Pours with a 2 finger bright foamy head that immediately settles and fades. The beer is a bright clear gold/brass color with a speck of carbonation. Lacing.... um.. no

Aroma is sweet and grainy. Like boiled vegetables.

Wow, I am really surprised here. The flavor is much worse than I imagined. Sweet, mushy and of cardboard. I am honestly shocked how poor the flavor is. I think they forgot to put any hops into this beer.

A combination of sweet in your mouth with an almost powdery finish.

Good thing I bought this just for the experience. No need to do that again. Man we had no taste in college, did we?....

3.58/5  rDev +17%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #44 (Sep 2010):

Good ol' Green Death always came across as a respected beer among its peers. Filtered clear-golden color; crack- ling white head only leaves a thin ring of lace. Bit of sweet-cooked corn in the somewhat clean nose--yes, even malt liquors want to be smelt up. Big smoothness with a snap of crispness. Clean and on the sweet side. Some bitterness from the hops and a kiss of alcohol help to balance. Drinkable with a clean finish; a charmer compared to the rougher of its ilk.

4.06/5  rDev +32.7%

Pint can into, what else, a plastic cup. Thanks to the guys at NEBCO for sharing such a rare, tickable beer.

A: Clear bright gold body under an inch of frothy white head. Ok retention, sticky lace. Looks exactly like a Malt Liquor should.

S: Simple silo: corn, grain husk, and light ethanol burn. Simple, straightforward, and to style. My nostrils are tingling but my stomach isn't turning. Success!

T: Nothing but grainy sweetness - lots of corn, some barley, and even a hint of almost-certain-non-existent rye spiciness. Booze is present but restrained. Pleasant - remarkably so for this style.

M: Lively - but not prickly - medium body. Quite creamy and pleasant for what it is.

O: What a nice surprise! An inoffensive Malt Liquor! I didn't think such a thing existed, and perhaps it's only possible due to the rather restrained ABV, but Private Stock is the real deal. I started out with a fairly small pour just to choke it down for the review, and I wound up drinking the entire can. I actually kind of liked it - it definitely has more flavor than any other cheap beer I've tried, and yet its flavors weren't all nasty off notes. Well done Haffenreffer!

Cheers!

3.76/5  rDev +22.9%

Presentation: One pint (16oz) custom, fat, green, twist-off bottle. The one thing that sticks with me about this beer is the bottle cap. The inside has those cool picture puzzles where you try to make a word or saying. Mine has "rush" + a hen + a dress + a sink = Russian Dressing. Hehehe ... how lame is that? Serving instructions suggest that I serve it "well cooled in a tall glass or on the rocks." It also states that it's the "Malt Liquor ... with the imported taste." Classy stuff.

Appearance: Crystal clear gold with the thinnest of white laces. Dissipates to no lace eventually.

Smell: Clean smelling. Light grain and steely aromas.

Taste: Full bodied. Smooth. Malt flavour is steady, light. Mild sweetness. Soft herbal hop flavours. Bitterness is lemony with a brief sharpness. Finishes a bit dry with grain notes and residual sweetness. You can't really taste the alcohol, but you can feel it on your brain. Eating it.

Notes: This is it. This is why I was born, to drink Haffenreffer all day long until I become comatose. In my opinion, the best malt liquor on the market. Be careful of this beer. It's instant crazy juice. 6.87% alcohol by volume.

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

2.53/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.68/5  rDev +20.3%

Medium golden color with a small snow-white head, moderate carbonation, lots of broken lace. Aroma is grainy and fairly sweet, quite pleasant overall. Taste begins with smooth malts, and a sting of carbonation, citrus hop bitterness in the middle of the taste, towards the finish sweet and warming alcohol notes appear. Smooth mouthfeel and very easy to drink, quite pleasing in every way. At $1.89 for a forty ounce bottle, this is a dead on bargain.

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%

2.25/5  rDev -26.5%

3.25/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.84/5  rDev -7.2%

Bottle Inspection: Green bottle, one pint, twisty, with the only warning: store in a cool place.

Aroma: Pale malt and light wet grain meet the nose, with a subtle hop presence, noble hops? Maybe that gives it the “imported taste”.

Appearance: Clear deep yellow mug with a firm half finger of snowy white head that leaves thick sheets of lace with tidemarks.

Flavor: Wet grain is the main flavor, some mild hop, a slight metallic twang, and very light fruit ester. What I don’t taste is alcohol, which given the style, is a good sign.
As it warms a bit, the flavor goes down hill, with the metallic note growing joined by a bit of cloying sweetness. Serving Suggestion: go cold, in a frosted mug.

Mouthfeel: Light body, fizzy carbonation, dry finish.

Overall Impression: First sip brought a hiccup and a mild head rush. This isn’t bad, but it has a certain “macro” lack of taste. I’d prefer a Mickey’s myself. It needs a little depth.
Still, thanks to Pegasus for the sample, erm, sorry, shout out to my homie Peg for the hookup, yo?

3.68/5  rDev +20.3%

Yea for malt liquor, from Texas no less! Out of the bottle this beer was a deep golden color with good clarity and lots of rising carbonation. The aroma was sour/stale corn and rice mash. The flavors were dry and grainy with pale malt and a light sweetness in the middle that became a little hoppy at the end. Better depth than expected! The mouthfeel was smooth and oily, the carbonation soft and the body medium. A quaffable malt liquor designed to get you wasted. Not a bad choice if this was your goal...

1.78/5  rDev -41.8%

Brewed by the Narragansett Brewing Co. which was mentioned on Family Guy a while back. 16 oz. green glass bottle, that is "Malt Liquor...with imported taste." Clear, extremely light gold color, almost no head on the pour, a couple visible bubbles in the beer rise steadily. Very light grain in the nose, also some skunk, not a whole lot going on. Taste is skunky and stale tasting. This reminds me of beer from the perspective of me, before I liked beer. Pretty bad, I would definitely skip this one, whether it has imported taste or not.

3.48/5  rDev +13.7%

Previously unknown tall boy can of malt liquor for a buck and change? Sure, I'll indulge. Picked up on a whim from St. James beverage.

Pours a bug fluffy head on a pure gold body. Nose is inoffensive cereals and sugar. A little sour note at the finish gives this an old world feel. Overall, relaxed and drinkable. Nice for the price.

1.25/5  rDev -59.2%

3.91/5  rDev +27.8%

I was reluctant to buy this when I saw the 32oz for $1.19 and it said it had the imported taste. I laughed to myself and decided to take a gamble. After all, that is what Beer advocacy is about, taking chances and explaining those risks to others. Well, I can honestly say that this was a good risk on my part. This is by far THE best malt liquour I have ever had. It was a nice lighter on the malts kind and had more flavor than just alcohol, like most malt liquours. I really noted the strong taste of creamy butter with some malts. It had a creamy mouthfeel as well, to go with the buttery taste. Will I get this again? Oh yeah!!!

3.07/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours yellow with a small white head. Smells like skunky hops. Taste is bitter and hoppy, herbal and skunky. I used to say it's almost like a ginger ale. Highly carbonated with a light-medium body. This is an old-time brewer, making 40 oz. and cans of highly hopped, skunky, bitter malt beer. Overall, it's pretty good, and cheap.

2.55/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Haffenrefer Private Stock pours a orange/copper color with a thin white head that dissipated quickly from a green sixteen ounce bottle. Smells like corn. Has a decent malty taste, maybe a flash of metal for a moment, and finishes ok. Selterzy mouthfeel. Not bad for the style.

3.7/5  rDev +20.9%

Who would think it a malt liquor that is ok. The beer was served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer isnt much to look at. The beer pours a clear golden coloration. The head was white and short lived. No lacing behind on my glass.

Smell: The beers aroma is sweet grain and nothing else.

Taste: The beer has a pleasing sweet grainy flavor. Abit of bitterness dries out the beer. No off flavors noted. Alcohol is no where in the flavor.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium body. The carbonation is appropriate for the beer. This is a surpisingly affordable and drinkable beer.

3.6/5  rDev +17.6%

The presentation was a unique large one pint / Half quart can. Served in my pint glass. This beer pours *very* clear! 2 Finger soapy looking tight fizzy white head. Extremely carbonated. Lots of tiny bubbles are rapidly fighting their way to the surface. This beer looks like a malt liquor. (I know that carries a certain stigma but try to consider this in its genre). The smell is nearly non-existent. I poured this very cold and got no aroma. As it warmed I got a bit more sugar maltiness. Eventually it seemed like sugar alcohol. Honestly, I haven’t had any malt liquor since I started paying attention to the beer I drink. 'Back in the day' it worked for a get drunk beer but in recent years I had not revisited this type of beer. Now that I care what the beers attributes are, I was expecting to not like this beer. Surprisingly that was not the case. It is, what it is, a malt liquor; but it is a decent one. It's a very sugary malty beer. I like the fact that it is not *at all* bitter. No bad aftertaste. The only aftertaste is (again) sugary. The taste is not complex or interesting. If you are looking for a fantastic unique craft beer you should know better than to pick this malt liquor. However, if you are looking for an easy drinking, smooth, refreshing "let's get drunk this afternoon" good malt liquor, this is a decent choice.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Haffenreffer Private Stock from Private Stock Brewing Co.