Haffenreffer Private Stock | Private Stock Brewing Co.

Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock
2.95/5
Poor
Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock

Private Stock Brewing Co.
Massachusetts, United States
privatestockbrewing.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

3.02/5  rDev +2.4%

You know 40oz should be a serving type. I'm also guessing that this one was sitting in the sun for a while. I'm looking forward to malt liquor...with the import taste. Thanks to IBUnit63 for sending this one as my losings in the LNBA 09 FF.

A- Super clear straw colored beer with a good head to it. Seems pretty standard so far.

S- A good deal of grain straw comes though with this astringent alcohol smell mixed in. There is something that is kinda fruity in smell most likely as a result of the lager yeast.

T- There isn't much of a taste here. I am getting a great deal of a metallic taste though. Other then that this is pretty tasteless. I would equate this to carbonated water mixed with a weak barley tea.

M- Fizzy with a good deal of carbination.

D- Well water is pretty drinkable, and so is soda water, so yeah this has drinkability.

3.03/5  rDev +2.7%

Spent a good week in the car, so...

Pours a brilliant light golden yellow with a foamy one inch white head that dissipates somewhat quickly with large bubbles.

Corn, grain, and alcohol esters are accompanied by light floral notes. There's a bit of a solvent scent.

Flavor is somewhat sweet, with a grainy astringent character hitting mid palate, finishing slightly bready. The underlying estery alcohol character dominates as it warms.

Body is moderate, with carbonation moderate to a touch high, and a hint of alcohol burn.

Not very experienced in the malt liquor region, but it's better than some I've had. Definitely hot, but at least the esters aren't offputting, and there is some malt backbone.

3.07/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours yellow with a small white head. Smells like skunky hops. Taste is bitter and hoppy, herbal and skunky. I used to say it's almost like a ginger ale. Highly carbonated with a light-medium body. This is an old-time brewer, making 40 oz. and cans of highly hopped, skunky, bitter malt beer. Overall, it's pretty good, and cheap.

3.07/5  rDev +4.1%

New tradition starting tonight, 40 ounce Thursdays. For the following several months, every Thursday possible, I will review beers served in 40 ounce bottles or beers that are on the "Bottom of the Barrel List"...tonight I'm starting with a shining star of the Malt liquor world...in a distant THIRD PLACE HAFFENREFFER! by Pabst. Beer poured from the 40 into a half liter glass.

Beer is yellow and clear and heavily carbonated. Forms a pretty thick head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Neat. The carbonation is really big bubbles that rise quickly through the beer. Makes the beer appear pretty thin, which I suppose is accurate. Looks fine.

You won't believe me but it kind of smells like a bar of soap. Shit, I have to drink this whole thing? Damn it.

It tastes like nothing at first, then really sweet, then like boiled corn. D'oh! Beer is thin and there is surprisingly little carbonation on the palate. There is no real bitterness but there is an aftertaste that grows. It gets better the more I drink but its not going to get to "good" anytime soon. As far as malt liquor is concerned....eh, I guess I'll develop a palate for them over the coming months.

I drank the whole thing, this beer eventually started to dry my mouth out.

3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

After hearing such good reviews about this malt i decided to give it a shot. And after finding a 24-pack of 16 ounce cans for under $12 at my favorite local distributor, i couldnt resist.

The label claims that it is the "malt liquor with the imported taste." I cant agree with this statement more. Upon the first sip i am reminded of a Becks or a Heineken, but shortly thereafter i am hit with a definite reminder of its malt nature. I must say that this is by far the best malt liquor i have ever tried. It is much lighter in the mouth, without the repulsive taste of familiar malts; it is also smoother in the throat, as well as being lighter in the stomach than any other malt liquor i have tried. If you want a cheap, pallatable, 6.87% serving of alchohol you cant go wrong with this selection.

I did not take into consideration the coloration or actual appearance of the liquid since i was trying to keep it ghetto ... enjoying it striaght out of the can.

3.1/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.14/5  rDev +6.4%

ahh! Private Stock!...Many beer memories as a ute, drinkin this stuff!...well, let's see....
appearance, classic 40 oz. green bottle , label proclaiming to have the "imported taste"!!..pour left no head,clear yellow, that is actually deeper than most of the brews in this vain.
smell was not as repugnant as I thought it might be, actually not too bad,..might even detect a whiff of hops in there! Taste really was not that bad either, no worse than a Bud, or Miller, etc.... slightly sweet, but not sickeningly so, ghost like hops. fairly smooth without an unpleasant aftertaste.
mouthfeel was fairly full, and creamy.
In the final analyses, I'd have to say, better than a lot of cheap stuff, and no worse than the big 3!...I was amusingly surprised!...I thought it'd be GOD AWFUL!....but not so... wish it had the friggin riddle on the cap!...That was half the charm!
edit: Nasty hangover followed!..not recommended.

3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

16 fl. oz. bottle. Haffenreffer Private Stock Malt Liquor...with the imported taste. The label advises to store this product in a cool place.

This is my 50th review. I was going to give the honor to one of the Best of BA brews in my beer fridge but decided to go with the Haff (I always thoght it was Heff?) because this was my first BA experience, from a certain point of view.

I started drinking beer when I was 17 and early on I knew I didn't like Bud or Coors. I wasn't drinking Belgian's or anything, I hadn't even found Guinness at that point, but I did find Haffenreffer and there was something about it I liked better than Bud. So for reasons of a sentimental nature I make Haffenreffer my 50th review.

Pours a crisp golden color, looks like ginger ale. Smells sweet, malty and of alcohol. Very little head to speak of. What little there was disappeared almost as quickly as my youth.

Not a lot of taste, but there is sweetness and malt. Smooth mouthfeel, leaves some lingering bitterness at the end. Easy to drink. Don't forget to check under the cap for the puzzle. Mine was 7 and the spade symbol.

I have no memory of how this tasted 8 years ago when I first tried it or if there has been much change. Can't think of an occasion I'd go out and buy this now but it sure did bring back memories.

3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a 22 ounce mug. No freshness date.

A- Dark gold, thin white head.

S- Sweet grains, floral notes.

T- Sweet grains, sweet malts but watery. The flavor was not that strong. Alcohol is masked very well. Its still drinkable even as it warms in the glass, which says a lot for the style.

M- Medium bodied and highly carbonated.

D- Not bad, but 6.9 abv, be careful.

I tried this out due to the price and decent ratings it got. I have to say for the style it isn't all that bad. It won't be a regular for me but I'll drink it again. This tasted a lot like Tatra.

3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Not sure if they still make it, all the local packys stopped carrying it, but I love a couple of these (40oz) on a Sunday during football season, nice taste, bit skunky, like it

3.21/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From the 40 ouncer! Sampled on June 5, 2010. It pours pale yellow with a two inch very fluffy white head that takes forever to settle. I was not drinking it ice cold. The aroma is slightly malty with some adjunct ingredients like grain, corn, and rice notes but overall it is not very enticing. The taste is a bit better with a kind of smooth balance of malts and some distant hop notes. But mainly the taste is comprised of malts and adjuncts. Still, it does not have that skunkiness often associated with green bottles. As a young man this was one of my regular "get drunk" beers. Now at age 50, I drink it more for the memories not the flavor.

3.22/5  rDev +9.2%

From a 16 oz. can. Pours a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malt and corn. Taste is crisp and malty with some hints of corn. Feels light bodied in the mouth. Drinkability is pretty good, and packs a bit of a punch. Overall this is a beer is not bad as far as malt liquors go.

3.23/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Probably my favorite 40 oz. Nothing better then a 40 of Private Stock when your sole intention is to get fucked up. Drink it quick though cuz you dont want it to get warm! but dont drink it too quick cuz it'll knock you on your ass!

"smokin weed and Bambu, sippin' on Private Stock."

3.23/5  rDev +9.5%

To my surprise, this is actually a pretty good American lager. Of course there is that adjunct-laded emptiness where the meat-and-potatoes of the beer should be, but the beer has a medium malt / grain balance with few flaws. The medium straw color gives a foamstand that is both fizzy and replentishing. Efforvescent carbonation gives a light prickle on the mouth. Clear and bright throughout. Aromas of sweetness (corn sugars) help the malts, but also gives the beer an artificial taste and texture. Light on the vegitable, grain, and sulfurs for ease of drinking. Quite clean throughout, but with a persistant residual corn sweetness that detracts from the malts in the end.

3.24/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm sad that this one is gone. I used to get the six pack pints fairly often back in the day, and it was a better cheap malt liquor than its competitors.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev +10.2%

Haffenreffer Private Stock from Private Stock Brewing Co.