New Albanian Hoptimus IPA | New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House

good
New Albanian Hoptimus IPANew Albanian Hoptimus IPA

New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House
Indiana, United States
newalbanian.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mentor on 10-17-2005

1.16/5  rDev -67.5%

Had me at the 100 ibu but way too malty for my liking.
Not you're typical IPA.
Malt bomb. (If you favor malt try this beer)
I like my brews to be high ibu and heavily hopped.

Taste: Equivalent to (in my opinion)
Bitter Dog biscuits, stale beef jerky, and 80% malt.

1.32/5  rDev -63%

1.5/5  rDev -58%

1.62/5  rDev -54.6%

This beer is awful. Over priced 9 dollars plus tax for a bomber, no hop presents at all.. Mega malt bomb! No dating on bottle either.

1.75/5  rDev -51%

1.87/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

22oz bottle from Delock's Discount Liquors (Munster, IN). 7.99. No bottling date. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours murky deep orange brown with a half finger of debse vanilla-hued head. Head is gone quickly but the bubbles around the edge leave some lace.

Smells musty, sweet, earthy and lightly floral. This is an imperial IPA?

Oh no. I don't know what happened here but it is definately no IPA. Sour earthy flavor up front with a bitter metallic fininsh (someone else mentioned pennies and that is a fair assessment). Sour cherries, an almost artificial vanilla or cake sweetness, old flower petals, rust, chalk and some alcohol. Not at all what I look for in an imperial IPA (or any beer at all, come to think of it).

Oily medium full body with almost zero carbonation. Bitter metallic floral aftertaste.

Yikes. This could be an off bottle or it could be an instance of a brewer and I having vastly different tastes. Either way, I rarely drain pour and this didn't even get 6oz of my time. Just terrible in every way.

2.13/5  rDev -40.3%

A - Pours with a small head of white foam on top of a clear, copper-brown body. The foam settles fairly quickly and leaves decent lace.

S - Spicy, musty hop aroma with some toffee and little else.

T - Brown mat and some toffee up front with a touch of spicy hop character. Some spicy, kind of rye-like notes in the middle and then it all comes crashing down with a metallic finish of asprin and citrus pith. Oh god, it just lingers on my tongue and its like sucking on a penny!

M - A moderately thick body, average carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - Wow, this is weird. It tastes like an unremarkable, but inoffensive, overly sweet pale ale, right up until the finish, when the pennies and asprin come out to ruin everything. I have never tasted a beer that was even remotely this metallic. I could barely drink enough to review it, total drainpour.

2.21/5  rDev -38.1%

Appearance: Pours a light caramel and orange hue…hazy and not overly transparent…just off white head does form and remains, but occasionally does need to be livened up…(3.75/5)

Smell: Hmmm…very musty (!!!!), earthy, damp forest smell…I’m not getting too much of the classic double IPA aroma that I’m used to or any sweet caramel malts that the color would suggest…this thing smells like that old, crusty, once beer soaked rag you found underneath the bed in the corner of your dorm room (you know what I’m talking about)…I’m hoping it’s not old and moldy, but it smells funky…there’s an element of cheese that tastes like foot in here…I’m not sure what’s going on, but there’s no sign of the zesty hops that I was hoping for…(2/5)

Taste: Much like the nose, funky, old caramel malts and little hops zest…this thing is earthy, earthy, earthy…there’s some grassiness and musty bitterness in there…it’s a straight forward, earthy/musty flavor that lacks depth and decency…it’s good enough to continue to drink, but borderlines pour out and start over…(2/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium carbonation…it does fluff up a bit bringing earthy/musty bitterness to the palate...musty and mildly grassy bitterness in the after taste…(3/5)

Overall: This is a major disappointment…I spent $8.99 for a bomber as I was passing through New Albanian’s distribution area and this is a total bust…I’m not sure if it’s old (there is no born on date) or what the story is, but there’s no way I can recommend this brew to anyone…I’ve had old IPA’s and IIPA’s in the past and they’ve all had better, fresher, more complex flavor than what I’m getting right now…New Albanian is a new brewery for me and I hope this isn’t indicative of what they are producing over there…barely drinkable (mainly because I spent $8.99 for it), this is a pass every time and probably twice on Sunday…(2/5)

Brewreport.blogspot.com

2.25/5  rDev -37%

2.31/5  rDev -35.3%

Not looking to buy another of these...

2.32/5  rDev -35%

When I heard that New Albanian was bottling their DIPA I had to snag a bottle. It pours a rich copper in color with a one finger beige colored head. This beer is very fresh (it came in maybe a week ago) yet it doesn't smell like a traditional DIPA. It smells caramel malt and some light piny hops but the scent I get most in the nose is B.O...as in body odor. I don't quite know what to think of that. It's just strange. The flavor is pretty sweet for a DIPA and there is virtually no hoppy bitterness. In fact, the hops aren't very present at all for the style. What happened here? It's very malty. I just don't get it. I don't see a brewery intentionally brewing a beer like this. It drinks light to medium in body and leaves an interesting almost slight citrus, slightly bitter malt aftertaste behind. This beer was just a big disappointment. I ended up drain pouring the last half of the bottle because it just wasn't worth it.

2.34/5  rDev -34.5%

bottle was a gusher

pours clear gold with a huge head

smells of apples and nothing else - me thinks this beer was too young

taste again - all apples with a little sweet malt

mouthfeel was medium light body with good carbonation

overall - had to mark down on smell and taste because i dont think i was drinking what the brewers intended me to taste - but shame on them for still shipping this to distributors

2.38/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Hoptimus pours out amber with two fingers of head that retain very well. The aroma has a biiiig diacetyl note, overpowering the hops and malts. The taste is a little better, because at least some hops rise over the buttery diacetyl, attempting to impart some delicious bitterness. Seriously though. There's a lot of diacetyl here, and I know this is fresh. This should have never left the brewery, any sort of QA would have dumped this batch off the line immediately. And I know it's not age, because New Albanian are brand new to Florida, Cavalier just started bringing them in no sooner than a month ago. To send product with obvious flaws to a new market is just ... I don't even know. It's a good way to ensure I never pick up another of their bottles, at the very least. The only thing saving it from the ratings abyss is a nice lingering bitterness long after the buttery taste has subsided.

2.43/5  rDev -31.9%

A: Pours a bright, clear gold with a thin, creamy white mousse that doesn't stick around all that long.

S: Malty aromas of caramel, biscuit, and butterscotch fill the nose. Mild, grassy hop scents and alcohol emerge later, but remain obscured by heavy malt scents.

T: Notes of caramel, cream, butterscotch, biscuit, sage, mint, basil, parsley, straw, grass, damp hay, and lemon rind wash across the palate. The finish is oddly herbal and sticky with notes of caramel, butterscotch, basil, and lemon rind underscored by peppery, prickly alcohol.

M: Medium-bodied, sticky, and resinous in the mouth. This ale is definitely undercarbonated for the style. Alcohol is initially subtle, but becomes distracting on the finish.

O: This is a truly bizarre DIPA. I feel that the brewers were trying to come up with a new twist on the style, but it never really came together. An unappealing nose, taste, and texture make this ale very difficult to drink. Giving this an overall rating of 2.5 is probably a bit generous on my part. I will not be revisiting this beer.

2.53/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.61/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A bizarre DIPA, New Albanian's Hoptimus iPA is extremely malty with a very odd flavor profile. Quite herbal, syrupy, and even a bit medicinal, there are flavors of earth, dirt, grass, soap, and bleach. Quite possibly one of the most unappealing DIPAs I've tasted.

2.62/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

From a bottle, pours a copper orange color with a wispy white head.

The smell is medicinal, butterscotch, faint citrus rinds and candied sugar. The flavor is very bitter, like chewing on a lemon or orange rind and it leaves a soapy aftertaste with a trace of alcohol.

I have to admit, this is a disaster.

2.64/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours the actual rock amber color, orange and yellow with thickness that impairs the clarity. You can see right away that this is an imperial IPA in body. A nice fluffy head forms, but it hasn’t lasted, left behind is thick sheets of lacing.

The nose here is great. Tangerine, grape fruit, strawberries, and a lot of caramel malt giving it a honey like sweetness.

The beer however drinks like a big bready English amber in the body. Very bready, buttery, toffee and well just a strong malt showcase here. The hops dominate the finish, pine dominate but a good bit of citrus flavors as well.

The body here is thick, but there’s enough carbonation to keep things lively. Nothing special to say the least.
I don’t get these double IPAs that some of the smaller brewery’s do. They’re expensive, over the top malty, and frankly not beers I can see anyone going back for seconds. This one certainly has potential. There is a good malt flavor here. The hops are there and they seem to have picked a nice hop profile for a beer. That said the balance is off. The flavor profiles don’t seem to fully mesh. This isn’t good beer and frankly it doesn’t fill big and bold enough for the sticker price.

New Albanian Hoptimus IPA from New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House