New Albanian Hoptimus IPA | New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House

good

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mentor on 10-17-2005

1.75/5  rDev -51%

1.87/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

22oz bottle from Delock's Discount Liquors (Munster, IN). 7.99. No bottling date. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours murky deep orange brown with a half finger of debse vanilla-hued head. Head is gone quickly but the bubbles around the edge leave some lace.

Smells musty, sweet, earthy and lightly floral. This is an imperial IPA?

Oh no. I don't know what happened here but it is definately no IPA. Sour earthy flavor up front with a bitter metallic fininsh (someone else mentioned pennies and that is a fair assessment). Sour cherries, an almost artificial vanilla or cake sweetness, old flower petals, rust, chalk and some alcohol. Not at all what I look for in an imperial IPA (or any beer at all, come to think of it).

Oily medium full body with almost zero carbonation. Bitter metallic floral aftertaste.

Yikes. This could be an off bottle or it could be an instance of a brewer and I having vastly different tastes. Either way, I rarely drain pour and this didn't even get 6oz of my time. Just terrible in every way.

3.25/5  rDev -9%

2.13/5  rDev -40.3%

A - Pours with a small head of white foam on top of a clear, copper-brown body. The foam settles fairly quickly and leaves decent lace.

S - Spicy, musty hop aroma with some toffee and little else.

T - Brown mat and some toffee up front with a touch of spicy hop character. Some spicy, kind of rye-like notes in the middle and then it all comes crashing down with a metallic finish of asprin and citrus pith. Oh god, it just lingers on my tongue and its like sucking on a penny!

M - A moderately thick body, average carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - Wow, this is weird. It tastes like an unremarkable, but inoffensive, overly sweet pale ale, right up until the finish, when the pennies and asprin come out to ruin everything. I have never tasted a beer that was even remotely this metallic. I could barely drink enough to review it, total drainpour.

2.77/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Single finger head with thick lacing on a clear amber with golden hues body. Aroma is not very good with wet socks, toasted malts, breads, spoiled meat all coming together to not be very enticing at all. The flavor is really disorganized with weird earthy hops which finish very metallic. The malts are overdone. Medicine flavors remind me of the old chewable cherry Tylenol I would have as skid. Medium body and moderate carbonation. This one is bad from start to finish and will be memorable for all the wrong reasons.

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Not bad for a local brew. I was expecting more from the hops. I tasted the hops bitterness but not much hops flavor. Maybe should have kicked the hops quality up a notch to match the maltiness and abv. I wouldn't turn down a snifter if it was offered to me, and would be more than willing to try New Albanian's other styles. Beware, New Albanian, you have some pretty stiff competition from across the river. Visiting your brew house is definitely on my list.

3.51/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle to snifter.

A: Copper colored, fairly clear.

S: Surprisingly, I don't get much of the hops. The aroma is malty, almost sweet corn like

T: Definitely one of the maltier DIPAs I've had, That bizarre cream corn malt flavor is there, The hops don't jump up till the end, and when they do it's not overwhelming.

M: Smooth, full, and moderately carbonated. No complaints here

O: I dunno, It's not a bad tasting beer, But I feel like it kind of misses the point of a DIPA.

2.38/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Hoptimus pours out amber with two fingers of head that retain very well. The aroma has a biiiig diacetyl note, overpowering the hops and malts. The taste is a little better, because at least some hops rise over the buttery diacetyl, attempting to impart some delicious bitterness. Seriously though. There's a lot of diacetyl here, and I know this is fresh. This should have never left the brewery, any sort of QA would have dumped this batch off the line immediately. And I know it's not age, because New Albanian are brand new to Florida, Cavalier just started bringing them in no sooner than a month ago. To send product with obvious flaws to a new market is just ... I don't even know. It's a good way to ensure I never pick up another of their bottles, at the very least. The only thing saving it from the ratings abyss is a nice lingering bitterness long after the buttery taste has subsided.

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours orange and surprisingly crisp and clear for an Imperial IPA. Thin layer of a white head floats atop. The aroma is all fresh, citrusy hops. The punch is not as big as expected from a 100 IBU beer, but you know it's an IPA. Loads of citrus and grassy hops give it a very fresh, summery flavor. Enough sweetness from the malt to cut through. With no bottling date, there is no way to know how old it is. The flavor is great, but I'm wondering if the hops have lost some potency. Oh, and it clocks in pushing 11% ABV.

Even if this is a little old, it's really tasty. Lots of hops, enough malt to give it some balance, and deceptively smooth for its ABV and IBU. I'll definitely do this again!

2.5/5  rDev -30%

3.5/5  rDev -2%

3.25/5  rDev -9%

2.21/5  rDev -38.1%

Appearance: Pours a light caramel and orange hue…hazy and not overly transparent…just off white head does form and remains, but occasionally does need to be livened up…(3.75/5)

Smell: Hmmm…very musty (!!!!), earthy, damp forest smell…I’m not getting too much of the classic double IPA aroma that I’m used to or any sweet caramel malts that the color would suggest…this thing smells like that old, crusty, once beer soaked rag you found underneath the bed in the corner of your dorm room (you know what I’m talking about)…I’m hoping it’s not old and moldy, but it smells funky…there’s an element of cheese that tastes like foot in here…I’m not sure what’s going on, but there’s no sign of the zesty hops that I was hoping for…(2/5)

Taste: Much like the nose, funky, old caramel malts and little hops zest…this thing is earthy, earthy, earthy…there’s some grassiness and musty bitterness in there…it’s a straight forward, earthy/musty flavor that lacks depth and decency…it’s good enough to continue to drink, but borderlines pour out and start over…(2/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium carbonation…it does fluff up a bit bringing earthy/musty bitterness to the palate...musty and mildly grassy bitterness in the after taste…(3/5)

Overall: This is a major disappointment…I spent $8.99 for a bomber as I was passing through New Albanian’s distribution area and this is a total bust…I’m not sure if it’s old (there is no born on date) or what the story is, but there’s no way I can recommend this brew to anyone…I’ve had old IPA’s and IIPA’s in the past and they’ve all had better, fresher, more complex flavor than what I’m getting right now…New Albanian is a new brewery for me and I hope this isn’t indicative of what they are producing over there…barely drinkable (mainly because I spent $8.99 for it), this is a pass every time and probably twice on Sunday…(2/5)

Brewreport.blogspot.com

2.98/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I'm hoping the bottle i got was sitting for a long while. Whatever quality the nugget & cascades imparted had long since packed it's bag & left. The only thing left was the viscous overly sweet caramel maltiness. 100 ibu is nowhere to be found. Faint floral nose. Upon tasting it quickly turns putrid, sweet, earthy mediocrity. Again, i believe whatever good qualities this beer once had are long gone. I will make it a point to get over to New Albanian & sample some fresh. If i get something better, I'll re-review.

4.25/5  rDev +19%

4.25/5  rDev +19%

3.75/5  rDev +5%

New Albanian Hoptimus IPA from New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House