Bonfire Of The Valkyries | New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House

Bonfire Of The ValkyriesBonfire Of The Valkyries

1.5/5  rDev -60.7%

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

2.82/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

22oz bottle from zrab11 (cool extra, thanks!). No apparent bottling info. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours black with a quick fading mocha head. No head retention and zero lace.

Smells smokey. Very smokey. Smoked peaty malt, bacon and burnt caramel.

The peat/smoke is persistent throughout the tasting. Other notes include muted caramel, faint chocolate, toast and earthy nuts. No real alcohol bite.

Medium thin feel with faint carbonation. Charred malt finish.

Something I'd never buy but was an interesting extra. The flavors, while smokey, seemed muted and the body was a bit thin. Happy to have tried it but once was enough for me.

2.93/5  rDev -23.3%

I will be re-reviewing this once I learn more about rauchbiers, but I wanted to take my notes while I had glass in hand.

pours opaque black, little fizz with my slow pour.

Smoke beer. Yep, smokey all right.

Smells like I'm emptying the word burning stove at the cabins I stay in... Smokey. Wet. Not sure what else is there, but there is something.

Tastes, like, well, I'm drinking the ash bucket of said wood burning stove. Like, quite a bit. I expected more beer with hints of smoke, but this is really smokey stuff with hints of beer. A bit of malteyness comes through. Sort of sweet-ish I guess. And some dryness in some hop thing going on. But, really, it is like a fizzy smoke drink.

Mouthfeel is not bad. I started it rated much lower, but as it warms it is keeping some fizziness. A little flat I guess...

It does have some body to it. At least it isn't thin and watery. It is thick... and smokey... I do like that...

Overalll, this has piqued my interest in what this stuff is supposed to taste like. I've had a few that were beers with nice hints of smoke. I'll come back and re-review if I learn this is just the style...

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Shared by Travlr. Thanks Gene!

Really cool name for a beer. The beer is black with a small brown head. The aroma brings some lager scents, roast, smoke. The flavor lacks cohesion. I love the idea of combining the attributes of a black lager and a smoke beer, but this marriage just doesn't make it. Slightly sweet, with some chocolate and smoke notes. Medium bodied with adequate carbonation. Overall, this was ok.

3.52/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Pours an oily black with little to no head, although a small ring of lace is present.

S: The aroma of smoked malt is front and center here. As the beer settles in the glass, scents of charcoal, bitter chocolate, caramel, and coffee gradually emerge.

T: The entry is predictably smoky with intense roasted grain and charcoal flavors. Notes of caramel, roasted nuts, minerals, bitter chocolate, coffee, and earthy, herbal hops quickly follow. The finish is clipped and chewy with notes of charcoal, roasted grain, and coffee underscored by a medicinal hop bitterness.

M: Medium-to-full in body, thick, and dry. Carbonation is prickly and active. Alcohol presence is very restrained.

O: After being underwhelmed by New Albanian's Baltic porter, this smoked black lager kind of surprised me. It's not the best rauchbier I've ever had, but it is interesting and quite drinkable. I still think New Albanian's strength lies in their strong ales, but I wouldn't mind picking this lager up again.

3.62/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep opaque brown with garnet highlights and minimal cream head that evacuates immediately.

Smoky bacon dominates the aroma, with hints of cola sweetness offering respite. There's a slight vegetal character that isn't offputting.

Flavor is more complex, though smoke dominated. The malt sweetness is more pronounced, almost cola-like flavors lead up to bacon and a somewhat bitter finish. As usual, there's plastic phenol present, but the sweet malt helps disguise it. Perfumy hops surface as it warms, finished with tar.

Body is moderate to slightly heavy with minimal carbonation. It's almost cereal-like.

Overall, one of the more sweet offerings I've had in this style. Drinkable in small quantities. Almost tastes flat.

3.67/5  rDev -3.9%

Not retired evidently, since I tasted this on 4/8 at the brewpub in New Albany.
Served cold in a tulip pint

A - An opaque deep brown almost black w/ faint hints of light brown showing through w/ quickly dropping medium shade of tan to about a ring w/ a very tight bead.

S - Deep notes of plum and dark grain w/ a subtle yeast aroma and hints of roasted/smoked malt w/ a deep molasses/anise hint

M - Like a sweet stout w/ character- the dry textures are complimented well by fruity textures and sweet malt w/ a candy sugar-like feel that is pleasant and finishes on the dry side.

T - This is like an amped up version of the dark mild's malt w/ conesmoker's rauchbier character. The blend is nice, but the sweetness is a tad on the cloying side after mid-pint. The flavor is lacking in the way of bitterness and has rich sweet and fruity tastes like dark fruit in sugar w/ a dash of smoke.

D - Not my fave of the ales offered at NABC, but still drinkable and better than average IMO. A big smokey ale that can get to be a bit much if you have more than a pint of smoked ale. I consider this quaffable and would be a nice complement to and smoked cheese or meat assortment

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

on-tap at Country Boy Brewery tap room

served a very dark brown with a slight off-tan head that didn't hang around long. moderate lacing down the glass

Aroma is just OK. it smells of roasted malts that gives a charred campfire note. also bittersweet chocolate, caramel and coffee.

It tastes like it smells... campfire aromas- smoked malt/meat, charred coffee bean and dark chocolate.

feel is medium, but still a bit light/watery for a Rauchbier. believe the creaminess would shine through if there was a little less carbonation

I enjoyed this beer but didn't love it. I like the smoked notes but it needs to be a bit richer to add complexity. overall, still comes across a bit watery.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Bonfire Of The Valkyries from New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House