Oaktimus | New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by ZombiesAteMyDog on 02-28-2012

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 19
3.85/5  rDev -2%

I had one of the last pours of this at Gravity Head 2012 on 02/24/12. This is the NABC’s Hoptimus aged with oak.

A – Translucent golden orange with a fair amount of lacing. Very small white head on this one; I expected more of a head.

S – Oily, piney, resin, citrus with very faint wood.

T – A bit disappointed on this one. I’ve had NABC’s Hoptimus a few times, and I was expecting to notice a bigger difference since it was oak-aged. Piney resin, slightly earthy, small peach/tropical fruit with a big burn.

M – Creamy and smooth with a big burn in the finish.

O – Not really what I expected, but I would still say I like this slightly more than their Hoptimus.

4.01/5  rDev +2%

I got this beer on tap today at the Brewery's restaurant.

It pours dark orange with a one finger white head. The smell and taste of this beer match; a lot of bitterness but not overwhelming. There is a large note of tropical fruits that I got from the hops, mainly pineapple in this one, surprised that being an aged version that the hop character was so fresh. One of my only gripes with this brew is that the hop character, although very nice, is not very strong. A slight bit of oakiness, doesn't add much to the beer but does add to it. The beer is surprisingly light considering the % and I though was easy to drink.
This is a pretty awesome DIPA, glad that I can get it regularly in my area.

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Serving: On tap, snifter
Served: 11 April 2014

Appearance: Crystal clear with hints of rich amber. No head to speak of, due to the high ABV. No notable lacing behind that on the rim left from the dissipating head.

Smell: Rich, yet soft, hoppiness. The hops smell somewhat dank and citrusy, more like lemon rind than actual rich citrus notes. Some slight hints of vanilla in the nose. Not a very complex nose for a DIPA.

Taste: Wow! HUGE assertive vanilla notes from the oak aging. Vanilla smooths out the entire flavor profile and really makes the hoppiness play second fiddle somewhat. The hops are present a bit, but the soft citrus flavors are mellowed by the big, smooth vanilla notes. The beer finishes semi-sweet.

Mouthfeel: Thick and smooth, exactly what I want in a DIPA.

Overall: This is my first oak-aged beer. Wow, I did not think that wood could flavor something so intensely. The huge vanilla notes really give this beer a unique character that is awesome. The hoppiness is smoothed out by a big, but fuzzy, assertion of vanilla from the oak. Very unique brew at a decent price. I would definitely try this one.

Oaktimus from New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House