Sneaky Pete Imperial IPA | Kysela Pere Et Fils, Ltd.

good
Read the review
Sneaky Pete Imperial IPASneaky Pete Imperial IPA

Kysela Pere Et Fils, Ltd.
Virginia, United States
kysela.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Contract brewed by Laughing Dog Brewing.

Added by Jason on 02-27-2011

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%

Pretty sweet deal picked this one up mixed and matched for $1.75. Not bad for 10%

A - Well I can see in the pour it's as thick as a imperial stout. Color is a hazy amber brown, kind of like a barleywine. Head is a 1/4 inch but settles slowly to a thick lace ring. Lacing is freaking awesome.

S - Well it seems more malt forward with mild doses of caramel malt, oak, and some bittering pine. Alcohol is also a tad noticeable in the smell.

T - I like how the caramel malts play in the taste to deliver a sweet taste. It's more of a barleywine, maybe because of the age I do have some sediment at the base of the bottle. Hops do seem to make an impression but more of a subtle maple colored mango with no notable IBU's.

M - ABV is well concealed giving no notable burn or taste.

Overall I am not sure how sneaky this Pete is. It is a very different DIPA that I am used to, and does seem to creep up on you with it's massive ABV. I may have to try this fresh since now it's a total malt bomb.

3.6/5  rDev -7%

Pours a viscous cloudy brown like apple cider and a thin white head quickly dies to a few scattered bubbles, although any movement returns a dusting of head to the suface of the beer. The alcohol dominates the nose, sitting atop a thick molasses/maple syrup malt base.Some faint piney hops, but far less than i expected. Tastes a lot like it smells, there is the initial hit of alcohol, follwed by a thick, although not as sweet as expected malt body. The hops play more of a role on the tongue lending good length and bracketing the malt to give this beer some complexity. I will say this is better than i expected, good mouth feel, nice restrained carbonation. The malt and hops, although not overly nuanced, play well with each other, strating with a good sharp hop bitterness flowing into malt sweetness and then ending with a dry piney aftertaste. Not really an Imperial IPA in the American sense (hop heads will be dissapointed) but certainly worth a drink.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

3.59/5  rDev -7.2%

4oz. 12 oz from Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge MA.

Rich amber color body with off white head. Head retention is decent but no lacing. Highly carbonated. Bottle conditioned (plenty of yeast at the bottom.)

Smell is not that appealing. Booze and something very strange.
It's a shame is in the double IPA category, because it is up against remarkable delicious smelling beers.

The flavor... I think I taste brettanomyces or some souring culture. Its weird because I read many reviews and they sound nothing like this beer. The tartness is subtle, but completely undeniable. Perhaps the culture was suppressed by the ABV and hops content. I've had and made countless IPAs and am also extremely familiar with sours. So I am speaking from experience and not from my ass. Intentional or not, I'm convinced, & I kind of like it. The sour comes off as strange and surprising. The bottle was highly carbonated and the body is very thin, so perhaps it was unintentional.?

Flavor profile is a citrus punch from American-tasting hops, mixed with a cherry tart yeast flavor towards the end. Overall alcohol is quite apparent, and warms the esophagus. Bitterness is strong and hits the same time as the brett. Almost no sweetness to the body. Carbonation is acidic to the tongue. Very unique, like Barleywine treated like an Old Ale.

Note: The flavor was consistent through all two bottles in 4 pack. I'm cellaring the last two to see what the brett and alcohol do over time.

Just an update:
I aged out the Pete roughly 6 months. When I pulled the bottle from the cellar - I came back to a massive pellicle floating on top. Opening the bottle, it was an intense gusher rather than being properly carbonated like my previous bottles.

The aroma is now more of a stench. It smells like rubber and hay. No hops left, and what I thought was brett I have to assume is some nasty bacteria. Drink this one fresh. If Sneaky Pete consistently has this souring agent, it does not age gracefully. The first two were delicious, & I have no desire to drink the age example. the flavor smell and aftertaste are retched.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Photo of
3.25/5  rDev -16%

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured chilled in ale glass.

A: cloudy dark orange; thin but creamy head; cloudy; good lacing
S: malty; whiffs of bubble gum with grass just below
T: malty, hoppy, intense; dose of citrus/orange; lots of malt, alcohol; overwhelming even for the genre

4.57/5  rDev +18.1%

I bought the Sneaky Pete Imperial IPA at Halls. I don't see a price tag on the bottle, but I think it was $9 for a bomber.

A dark amber pour with big head. No lacing thoughout the tasting.

Fantastic rye, malt and pine nose with the rye being almost overpowering.

Huge sweet malt & caramel taste with lots of rye flavor, along with light hop bitterness. There is some honey in the middle and some fruits sneak through as well from underneath the powerful malt rye.

Very easy to drink, though every so slighlty undercarbonated. (Everyone's a critic!)

This is a unique IIPA, so much so that maybe it's something else? That being said it is delicious and will find it's way into my regular rotation.

Sneaky Pete Imperial IPA from Kysela Pere Et Fils, Ltd.