Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett "Yellow" | Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project

Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett "Yellow"Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett "Yellow"

Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project
Colorado, United States
crookedstave.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Wild Wild Brett Yellow is fermented entirely with Brettanomyces yeast and was inspired by the savory sweet combinations found in Southern Indian cuisine by incorporating turmeric, mango coriander and spices. Yellow pours a golden hue delivering tropical fruit aromas with earthy citrus flavors and a dry tart finish.

Added by kojevergas on 12-24-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 31 | Ratings: 91
4.34/5  rDev +6.6%

A very light and soft beer.

I got dank notes of the sticky icky on the nose.

Light fruit and slight hint of mango on the tongue.

Very effervescent with a light head.

I'm not too good on describing beers but there's a more going on the nose and tongue than just dank and mango.

Definitely worth a try if you can get you hands on some.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

pours a lovely orange/bronze shade with a one inch white head quickly fading. smells incredible, so much going on here. sour from the brett, but tempered with tropical fruit and indian spice. cardomom? no its turmeric the bottle informed me. flavor is yeasty bite up front with only the slightest sour finish. all kinds of spicy fruit in between. actually like the juice of some funky rare tropical fruit. mouthfeel is perfect, or just short of it. bright and zesty. really nice everything here. only slightly undercarbonated in my opinion. this is bomb

750 ml bottle from Toatal Beverage Westminster poured a clear gold with a small lingering ivory head. Aromas of coriander, tumeric, straw, mango, light barnyard and light citrus. Mouthfeel was light bodied and smooth with a dry finish. Flavors of tumeric, corinder, straw,barnyard funk, light mango and light citrus with a smooth dry lingering funky spiced finish.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A: As I opened the bottle it started to fizzle out quickly. out. A nice white head developed and stuck around for a little bit once poured into my glass and a little layer remained on the surface throughout the remainder. Slightly hazy and orange/golden in appearance.

S: Sweet and spicy and very inviting. This is my first Crooked Stave beer and one of my first wilde ales and I like what I am smelling. With my limited experience my take in the aroma is that of caramelized, cinnamon apple.

T: The spiciness component of the smell is the dominant flavor up front. The fruitiness is definitely there as well but not quite as dominant as it was in the aroma. There is some honey, which seems to be mixed with some ever so slightly tartness, present as well. I get some earthiness in the aftertaste.

M: Definitely some carbonation to this thing with creamier body to it than I expected, which is a nice surprise.

O: I definitely liked this one a lot more than I thought I would as I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this. My score might be a little inflated due to being so pleasantly surprised by this. . I will definitely have to check more Crooked Stave stuff in the future.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

My first beer of New Year's celebration. I have the "Green" on standby....

Pours a light, yet "glowy" golden, hazy yellow color. Go figure. Nice fluffy white head and medium lacing going on.

Spicy aroma. The turmeric really pounces on the nose. Spicy ginger and Earthy spice. Some tropical notes and sourness.

Taste has the spice coming in full throttle. Ginger and Earthiness again, but has some more fruit to it. It seems a coriander starts to emerge and then is thrown back by some other spice and honey. And the honey is a nice touch, not too much to make it sweet, but it seems to keep the spice from going crazy.

Finishes dry and clean.

3.62/5  rDev -11.1%

NOTE: I've already requested that this review be moved to Crooked Stave's page whilst maintaining the date of review - as per Crooked Stave's request. For some reason this has yet to happen; I suspect beeradvocate's infrastructure has trouble moving reviews in this fashion. Obviously the mistake was mine; this is indeed brewed by Crooked Stave and not Funkwerks (though it is brewed at Funkwerks, a notable decision). All apologies for the honest mistake; no distinction was made at Funkwerk's tasting room, making me think Crooked Stave was a series not a brewery.

Served on-draught into a 330ml snifter at Funkwerks' tasting room. Volume served was 6 oz. Reviewed from notes. I was warned by the bartender it was supposed to be really yeasty and had been freshly brewed. (There's a 'warning' I'll happily disregard). I had it the day it was released.

A: Pours a one finger head of slight cream, fair thickness, and abysmal retention. Colour is a solid hazy orange/pale gold.

Sm: A delightfully yeasty and biscuity aroma. A bit cidery as well. Lots of bretts for sure. I wouldn't call it funky. A strong aroma.

T: Wonderfully yeasty, but also cidery on the finish. Orange peel-esque esters are present. Some of the best yeasty notes I've tried in a beer. The apple notes are nice alongside some brett funk (which didn't emerge in the aroma, as noted above). Complex and well-balanced. Built very nicely.

Mf: Smooth and wet, complementing the flavours quite well.

Dr: Highly drinkable, and quite nicely balanced. Good quality. The affordability could use serious work; this is a large problem with Funkwerks.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last