Crooked Stave Surette Reserva

From:
Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project

Colorado, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Notes:
Reviews: 27 | Ratings: 119 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by MighHighBrewer:
3.61/5  rDev -12%

Cellared beer for about 6 months. Drank on 3/31/13 poured into a Crooked Stave tulip.

A: First thing I noticed was a total lack of head. I would've thought it was underaged if I didnt keep it in my cellar for 6 months prior to drinking. Little to no lacing. Pours a hazy golden color with a slight slight (not enough IMHO) orange hue. To my eye, it's just golden and that's about it.

S: Smells much brighter - and much less earthy/funky - than I would've expected from a Crooked Stave brew. Very pungent with bright citrus fruit nose. Peach is at the forefront with some lemon/sour notes in the background. A tiny bit of funkiness associated with Brett is in the background, but it's not overpowering by any stretch. I detect no grassy/hoppy notes.

T: Initial taste is of sour peach and other citrus fruits - especially lemon. A little bit of apple - not as much as other Saisons. Background earthy notes develop mid-sip, as well as the tiniest hint of oak. Sourness is definitely there, but not overwhelming. Curiously, the sourness doesn't hit the rear sides of your tongues as they do in most sours. Instead, I'm getting a more complicated sour character of hitting the middle/front portion of my tongue rounded out nicely by the beer's bitterness hitting the back. Beer lingers on the tongue nicely with a perfect sour note.

M: This is where the beer falls down for me. My bottle was undercarbed. Not just a little undercarbed, either. Barely any carbonation is visible or detectable on the tongue. It is, by far, the least carbonated bottled beer I've ever had. Something must've happened during production because I can't imagine this beer being purposely undercarbed.

O: I always have high hopes for Crooked Stave but this beer falters on a few accounts. First, the lack of carbonation is a real issue that would prevent me from purchasing this beer again. Secondly, while the flavor is overall pleasant, I don't get the funky/earthy notes that I like to taste in my saisons. On the fruity::yeasty continuum Saisons often are compared on, this one definitely falls on the fruity side. I like my Saisons with a bit more funkiness (personal taste). Overall, a pleasant beer but not my favorite CS offering.

3.81/5  rDev -7.1%

12.7 oz bottle. Pours clear golden orange with a fizzy white head that completely disappears.

The aroma is acidic brett with some tropical fruit.

The flavor is sweet tart and sour fruits with earthy brett. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, tastes great, but a little under-carbonated.

4.02/5  rDev -2%

Appearance: Arrives with a cloudy tangerine cor; the modest head fades away precipitously

Smell: Tart citrus, bread, Brett farmhouse elements and oak

Taste: Tart citrus, tropical fruit, green apple and vinous elements, up front, with the oak adding a woody flavor in the middle; after the swallow, the acetic sourness builds and dominates the finish with a lemony edge

Mouthfeel: Light body with low to moderate carbonation

Overall: A bit one dimensional, but a very nice sour for summer drinking

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Light murky apricot, low head, some cling.

S - Barnyard, funky, malt takes a back seat but inviting.

T - Astringent, funky, harsh, tart, nice.

M - Good carb, sweeter than thought, nice balance.

O - I would have a few of these without tiring. Nice offering.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Shared by The Mad Fermentationist, who really isn't mad at all.

The beer is clear and golden with a small, soft white head. Aromas include sour fruits, lemons, yeast, funk. Light and refreshing with a pleasant funk character. Quaffable. Light lactic presence in the finish. A really nice beer from the folks at Crooked Stave.

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was reviewed blind, actually the reserva and reserva chardonnay barrel was reviewed side by side without me knowing what they were.

bottles 4A & 4B from quirkzoo

4A (750ml) pours a pale light yellow with just a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. The aroma is grainy with a horse blanket, wet cardboard kind of funk, smells very breathy. There is a little bit of fruit in the smell as well. The taste is very unique, very lemon/lime flavor throughout. I just want to keep drinking this beer. There is a dryness to it that leaves you wanting more. Its not too taxing on the palette and is very refreshing. If there is brett in there, it has done its work and created a well rounded beer.

4B (375ml) pours a pale yellow as well, but just a slightly bit more orange, there was a little bit more foam but it too quickly faded to just a ring of bubbles. This has a similar aroma to 4A, but not as pronounced, more muted. There seems to be more of a cherry pie smell to it. The taste is similar to 4A but not much. There is a hint of the lemon/lime but there is also a bit of the cherry pie I was talking about. The carbonation is prickly on the tongue and a little less dry. Again, I find myself just picking up the glass or another drink before I even realize I'm doing it.

I really don't have a guess as to what these beers are. Given quirkzoo's location and my fascination with Crooked Stave and listening to interviews from Chad at CS, I could guess that maybe its from there, but honestly thats just a guess. My only other guess would be funkwerks. I've had a few of theirs and they're pretty bad ass too. Anyway, lets see what we have here…

4A Surette Reserva Oak Aged
4B Surette Reserva Chardonnay Barrel

Well at least I got the brewer right. I'll have to do some research, are these the same beers or is only the 375 aged in chardonnay? There definitely is a difference in taste. The 750 is so bright and citrusy.

Damn quirkzoo, you are knocking this bif out of the park!

Crooked Stave Surette Reserva from Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project