Weihenstephaner Pils | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: German Pilsener

Formerly known as Weihenstephaner Pilsner

Golden-yellow and bright, with 32 bitter units and quite hoppy compared to most of the other Pilsners our Weihenstephaner Pilsner comes up with a distinctive aroma of hops with a pleasant bitterness. This combination provides a balanced mix and guarantees great enjoyment. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 05-23-2005

2.41/5  rDev -38.7%

A mostly golden color with a tint of green. Fluffy head of 2 fingers, leaving tons of intricate webby lace. Effervescent bubbles spiral to the top.

Aroma of dry grass clippings, straw, and light fruity phenols.

Flavor is, well, disappointing. Some odd bubble gum-like flavors, followed by that bag of mowed grass, and a slight hay aftertaste.

Feel is crisp and clean. Some chalky pastiness which knocks it down a bit.

Overall, although the Euro Pilsner is not my favorite, I've had a handful that are better than this. I can only hope this was a poorly stored bottle? Terrible.

2.44/5  rDev -37.9%

Pours a pale golden with steady carbonation feeding a nice fluffy head. Dissipates slowly to leave a nice sticky lacing film around the edge. Clear and transparent. A good looking pils.

Nose is very nutty with a fair amount of spicy hoppiness - saaz maybe. A bit of unwelcome yeast aroma but it's not overwhelming. Could use a bit more complexity, needs more hops maybe.

Taste is a bit weak and watery, again with a bit of an unwelcome sticky yeast. A few hops on the front palate. The finish is a bit dry and bitter which is good but the main palate is not tasty enough to impress. It's decent drinking but I'd expect more from Weihenstephaner. Could use more bittering hops and aroma hops, really. Just a bit flavourless and the yeast seeps through too much. Mouthfeel is fizzy and overcarbonated.

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.53/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a light yellow, thin white head that quickly dissipates, with a thin dainty collar. Faint lacing. Extremely clear.

Aroma: Very little! Was expecting more but I simply get "vague pilsener" scent and not much else, nothing remarkable.

Mouthfeel: Thick for a pilsener, very fine carbonation, overall light and easy.

Taste: Given the high rating I think my expectations were too high. Weihenstephaner consistently tends to put out good beers, but I can't help but feel this is simply "okay." We've got breadiness, other cereal notes, and not a whole lot else. There is also a somewhat off-putting bitter herbal note late in the taste that lacks much complexity that simply hits and then fades back into the cereal background.

Overall: I've gotta go against the crowd here and say this is an acceptable but unremarkable pilsener. With the huge amount of pilseners on the market, this just isn't worth the price. I'll stick with Weihenstephaners other offerings I think.

2.7/5  rDev -31.3%

2.75/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Clear golden color with white head. Light bready malts and some earthy hops in the aroma. Very balanced taste. You get a bit of malt and also some hops but nothing stands out. Body is quite soft for a pilsener. Not really my style of beer.

2.75/5  rDev -30%

2.86/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into a weizen glass, got a pretty nice big creamy white head on top of a pale straw liquid body. Head retention was ok, not much lacing.

Got a grainy straw scent. The spicy saaz hops smell is there, though it didn't hit me that strongly at first. There is a faint sulphuric smell in there which is a tad unpleasant to me.

Grainy malt flavours, a bit of sourness and a spicy sharp bitterness. I'm finding the bitterness dominates, and it is the bitterness of biting into an inedible fruit seed. If the hops character was a little more complex or the malt body a little fuller I probably would have found this far more enjoyable.

Light bodied as expected, carbonation is spot on. The taste is sharp and dry yet something is leaving a slimy film on my palate.

Overall my write up is probably a little harsh after being impressed by other Weihenstephan brews. This isn't a bad German pilsner but their are others which have impressed me far more. I might have enjoyed this more paired with a good steak, or maybe my palate just wasn't in the mood today. I'm willing to give it another go, but I'm not in any rush to do so.

2.87/5  rDev -27%

Crystal clear pale gold pour, with a small head.
Grainy and biscuity malt aroma, with some off-putting cardboard notes, but with next to no hops.
Exactly the same flavours, with a harsh unpleasant bitterness.
Carbonation too high, too watery.
Not enjoyable, but at least it wasn't the usual euro skunky lager.

This reminded me of drinking beers at the Hoffbrau house....its Ok ..not like OMFG what a great beer...if you had a giant pretzel and had some hot big racked frau serving you a 2L stien you would be damnnn I like this!!! NOT bad...Not Great...satisfying OK...ehhh...I'll have anutha'

Weihenstephaner Pils from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan