Weihenstephaner Vitus | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
brauerei-weihenstephan.de

Style: Weizenbock

Our light-coloured, spicy single-bock, “Vitus” is saturated with fine yeast and a creamy foam. It is a specialty with a round character based on the extra long storage time. The fruity smell of dried apricots joins aromas of citrus, cloves and hints of banana. Full-bodied and sparkling with an effervescent mouthfeel. Thus, the Vitus does not taste like a typical Bock beer but more like a noble, fruity wheat beer. Perfect with red meat, strong cheese and also able to guide desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Reviews: 1,171 | Ratings: 3,363
4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

A - A somewhat dark, cloudy, golden straw with a tremendous billowing head. Medium retention but little lacing.

S - Deep aromas of wheat, banana and some citrus - orange or lemon zest. A bit of bread comes through on the wheat, and the yeast is readily apparent.

T - An amped up hefe - amazingly fruity and complex with a wonderful balance of wheat, malt and citrus. The peach, banana and pear fruitiness and yeasty spiciness is perfect, especially as it warms a bit. I would recommend drinking at the warmer range of the suggested temperature. Some honey sweetness that does not overpower. Outstanding.

M - Enjoyable medium body with medium+ carbonation. Somewhat crisp finish despite the lingering syrupy feeling on the tongue.

D - Everything their hefeweizen is and more - a wonderful beer all around, and a new favorite. I would buy this by the case if I could.

4.79/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite German beer.
Just a fantastic example of what they do with wheat beer. Wonderful banana aroma and just the right amout of spices in the taste. A wonderful experience to drink slow and enjoy; unfortunately that can be the hard part.
As above, the best beer from an A+ brewery.

4.79/5  rDev +12.4%

EDIT, OCTOBER 3, 2016: More than eight years later, this is still one of the most fascinating beers I've ever had. WHUH?!?! Pepsin, spearmint, and bubble gum?!?!? YES. Cuh-RAY-zee!

_______________________________

PREVIOUS REVIEW from 2008
Half-liter bottle properly poured into a 23-ounce Hefeweizen glass at approx. 50 degrees, yields a HUGE white rocky bumpy head over a cloudy light orange body. Pretty beer. Head fades away rapidly, despite ample carbonation.

Intense aroma like a Hefeweizen on steroids. Bubble gum, banana, clove, cracker malt, more banana, pepper and -- get this! -- pepsin (as in the old "Beeman's Gum"!) is very evident. Notes of spearmint! Sour apple. Maybe the most fascinating aroma I've ever experienced in a beer.

Taste is close to the aroma, though the clove and bubble gum are the primary high notes, over a solid cracker malt middle and a notable mint-y back note. As this warms, the pepsin and mint become more apparent. Wow, what a fascinating flavor. This is really right up my alley. Crisp, grassy, yeasty, and weirdly spicy-minty. Unique. Completely unique.

Mouthfeel is not what I anticipated for a Weizen-Bock, but still is ample and round. As mentioned earlier, much more like a Hefeweizen on steroids, and that goes for the mouthfeel. Alcohol is present in the mouthfeel at the finish.

Drinkability is very high, despite the alcohol, because there are just so many flavors here.

This is an utterly unique beer, pushing the limits on the style. I would call this an "Imperial Hefeweizen" rather than a Weizen-Bock, since it has so many of the H-W characters just lifted about 50%.

Overall, an exceptional and weird beer. Not everyone will like this. I do . . . a lot!

4.79/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours an extremely beautifully cloudy golden-hay color with nice white head. Scent is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Such amazing clove, banana, apple, and peach scents that are crazy bold for how cold this beer is right now. Can't imagine what it's like warm. Taste is just as it smells...I think I just fell in love. Why have I never bought this beer before??? I always pass it up. Needs to have more hype if you ask me. Such amazing fruit flavors...I'm getting green apples, pears, peaches, melon, and white grapes. I also get bold clove flavors with a hint of alcohol. The mouthfeel is very crisp due to the nice carbonation and drinkability is EXTREMELY HIGH! I'm very shocked with this beer right now.

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Semi translucent golden color. Streaming carbonation throughout.
Hefe type smell slong with hay and spices.
Right away awed by sweetness followed by spices, hay, citrus.
Medium body
Incredibly delicious on a warm day!

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Really hazy, golden, yellow color with a thick 2 inch head that hangs around, good lacing

S: Bubble gum, banana, clove, spices

T: Same as smell, really sweet, a bit spiciness maybe from a mixture of the spices and heat from the alcohol

M: Medium, really lively carbonation

O: Great beer. I love the tastes that the yeast esters give this beer. Smell and taste are excellent.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 500ml. or 1 pint .9oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance: It had a golden color, which was lighter than I had expected and a hazy unfiltered body. The head is just off white in color and builds up tall and thick then very slowly fades making slick patchy lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma had sweet malty wheat notes with yeast and estery fruitiness.

Taste/Mouth feel: There are estery flavor notes of banana, apple, golden raison and bubble gum within a mildly sweet and tangy wheat malt. Also there are hints of clove and some mild spicy hops for balance. It has a solid medium body with a palate that is smooth and a touch slick with pleasing carbonation.

Notes: Outstanding!!!

4.77/5  rDev +12%

After months of desperation, I finally drove to South Carolina and picked up several bottles of this stuff -- why can't I get it in Atlanta yet, when other Weihenstephaner beers are easy to obtain? Anyway, I love hefeweizens (Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is my all-time favorite beer), as well as Schneider Aventinus (thus far, the only other true weizenbock I've had). As such, I HAD to try Vitus.

I poured a 500ml bottle into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass. [EDIT: Half-liter, chalice-type Vitus glasses do exist, and as of December 2010, I own three of them. They're among my favorite glasses in my collection -- seek some out!]

Appearance: Frankly, before I read the reviews here, I expected Vitus to appear darker -- at least the hue of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel. Instead, it's actually about the same color as a regular Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, but somehow it's less cloudy. In fact, it looks like a "lighter" beer than your average unfiltered hefeweizen, which is saying something. After a solid weizen pour, I got a nice four-finger head, which receded far more quickly than the head on a standard Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. I got minimal lacing throughout drinking. Interestingly, there is considerably less yeasty sediment in Vitus than in almost any other unfiltered wheat beer I've had. On the whole, I think I prefer the appearance of this brewery's regular hefeweizen to the appearance of Vitus, but Vitus's looks belie its aroma and flavor.

Smell: I've got to give this a 5.0 -- it smells familiar and unique at the same time, and the scent ultimately makes you desperate to taste the beer. As has been echoed in other reviews, Vitus smells like an "imperialized" version of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, which I guess it kind of is. I get a deep, rich series of aromas, starting with sweet banana bread. Yeast is also prominent in the nose, as are cloves and a hint of citrus. Now, unlike some others who have reviewed Vitus, I DON'T pick up a "lemon meringue" scent...instead, the lingering smells are of banana bread, yeast, and finally old-fashioned bubble gum.

Taste: As with other Weihenstephaner offerings, the taste follows the nose. The best way I think I can describe this would be to say that it tastes like Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, but with a much stronger dose of cloves and easily perceptible alcohol. I taste cloves, yeasty bread, cloves, something faintly citric, cloves, and cloves. That "old-fashioned bubble gum" thing is there, too, but it's difficult to pin down. It seems to come and go at times during each sip.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is about on par with Weihenstephaner's other wheat beers, which is to say that there's quite a bit of it. That, along with the higher ABV and stronger clove flavor, makes for quite a prickly quaff. Honestly, the mouthfeel of this one is more aggressive than I expected; I guess I've just grown accustomed to "regular" hefeweizens. Still, it's cold and refreshing, and the mouthfeel is still superb -- creamier than most hefeweizens, but not as thick as many weizenbocks (particularly dark ones).

Drinkability: The smell is fantastic, and the flavor is great. Even with a relatively aggressive mouthfeel for its style, this is a highly drinkable beer. The ABV does sneak up on you, though, even if the alcohol isn't totally hidden. If you like Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, I think you've got to try this one. Just be warned that the mouthfeel and ABV might challenge you a bit as a wheat beer fan. I've found these aspects of Vitus to get better with repeated tastings, though.

I've got to tell you, I still like vintage Schneider Aventinus (and good old Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier) somewhat better than Vitus. I find it a bit confusing that Aventinus and Vitus are both weizenbocks, as they are DRASTICALLY different from each other in nearly every way. I think maybe this should be called an "imperial hefeweizen," while darker, toastier wheat beers with higher ABV (like Aventinus) might be termed "weizenbocks."

***Addendum***
In mid-March of 2009, Vitus finally made it into Georgia, thanks to the help of a devoted group of Vitus Advocates. And this led me to discover that Vitus purchased right here at home looks, smells, tastes, feels, and generally drinks better than Vitus purchased elsewhere. Thank God Vitus is finally here!

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Very light cloudy pale yellow/orange hue for a Weizenbock. More like a Hefeweizen to me. Huge head as it pours which takes only a few minutes to dissipate.

Smell of bananas, bananas and you guessed it... banana bread! Also some orange, yeast and clove.

Taste is sensational. The spice and yeast take a back seat to the initial hit of banana and citrus flavours. You really only notice the alcohol as the spice kicks in at the finish.

Super creamy mouthfeel that gets creamier as the beer warms. Close to the best mouthfeel around.

I could drink this thirst quenching beer all day and night. This is quite possibly the best Hefe-Weiznebock beer in the world today!
I really don't think Weinstephan can produce a bad beer? Although completely different, it's up there with Korbinian as my fav from them.

CHEERS!

4.77/5  rDev +12%

One of the worlds great beers and I meet up for the first time, we have somehow missed each other over the years. We come together in Cork, Ireland of all places, I saw and bought this bottle in 'The Abbot's Ale House', and reviewed it in my hotel lounge. Sadly the glass used was a half-pint tumbler, I would have loved the correct glass.

The beer poured a lovely lemony yellow, slightly cloudy, almost murky. A pure white head sat on top for both pours, the beer a darker lemon colour on the second pour.

The smells were a fantastic mix, yeast, vanilla, sweet banana and semi-sour cooking apples all rolled into one.

The taste held all the aroma ingrediants along with some grapefruit citrus hints added. Unusually for this style, a maltiness could also be found in the wonderful amalgamation of flavours.

I was at one with the world while drinking this beauty. The 7.7%ABV just sits within the flavours without being noticed, a truely amazing and one-off beer (as ColoradoBobs has been telling me for years).

4.77/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this a few times and am a big fan, wanted to do a full review to see how the score holds up. Outstanding looking beer, although not quite to the level of Hefe or Dunkel. Pretty much the same with the smell and taste, very similar but not quite the same, but still very high quality. Overall this is a beer I like very much but have a hard time taking it over the Hefe or Dunkel.

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a weizen glass

Vitus pours a hazy straw yellow. Tons of carbonation. Creamy white head with great retention. Some sticky lacing. Having never had a weizenbock before, I was expecting a darker color. Regardless, this looks very inviting

Fantastic aromas of banana and cloves, bubblegum, crisp wheat, lemon zest, spicy coriander, and honey. All shine through wonderfully. Hefeweizens and witbiers aren't always my cup of tea but this is the standard of aroma they should be held up to

Taste follows the nose to a tee. Big yeasty esters of banana, clove, lemon peel, orange zest. Bubblegum sweetness and honey. The coriander, cloves, twangy wheat, and subtle alcohol presence add a much needed spicy kick that balances this nicely. Finish is of sweet honey that lingers for a moment

Drinks smooth and light but the sweetness is thick if that makes any sense. Very carbonated. Crisp. Somewhat off dry. Very low in bitterness and acidity

Overall superb. Again, being my first weizenbock I'm not sure what the standard is but I greatly enjoyed this. Sweet but not cloying. The ABV makes itself known but is far from overpowering. If anything it makes you take your time and enjoy. This is no doubt too sweet for some but if you like witbiers or hefe/dunkelweizens you will love this

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Wow. This is the one I have been wanting for a while.

Have you ever had the taste for a certain type of beer, but you weren't sure where to find it? Nothing you have had previously was quite the one you were looking for. You had a pretty damn good idea what flavors you were craving, but just couldn't fill the void of taste that you were experiencing. That's been me for about two weeks. Not anymore. I found it!

This gem of a brew pours a nice golden yellow color with just the slightest bit of haze. Big, fluffy white head rises above the lip of the glass. Not much lacing, but that's ok. Lots of bubbles racing to the surface.

The aroma is filled with banana, clove, pepper, and a bit of yeast. Touch of alcohol comes through, also. Wheat and a touch of fig is noticeable, too. Smells yummy. As it warms, the spices become stronger.

The flavor nails it. Dead on for the style, imo, and my cravings. Warming banana spice bread seems to be filling my mouth. Maybe a bit of raisins in there too...just a few though. A little bit of bubblegum comes in for a second, just to sweeten it up a tad. Nice spice character works well with fruitiness. This one is damn tasty.

Smooth body with just a touch of prickleyness (is that even a word?) on the tongue. A little bit warming, but the alcohol isn't really noticed. Extremely drinkable. The extra bottle I bought is now gone. I'll be picking more of this up on my next visit to the store.

4.77/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This was poured into a weizen glass.
The appearance was a golden light colored yellow. A thick about three fingers worth of foamy white head started and slid into the beer after dissipation with some fairly thick lacing roaming here and there.
The smell had some banana esters running into some bready/yeasty notes. Apricots and raisins meld into the aroma.
The taste was full and sweet from the previously mentioned flavors allowing some clove to round in the spicy department. An eloquent sweet and spicy aftertaste yields a powerful sweet wet finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a nice cherishing sweetness clinging to my tongue. Carbonation seems to finish nicely on my tongue as it's not too sharp but shows just enough and dissipates evenly to allow the spice to hit just right.
Overall, do you think I like this beer for me? With an emphatic yes, this is the best of the best of its style. Take me through winter, Vitus.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a cloudy golden color with tons of carbonation. Has a two finger thick, soapy white head. Eventually the beer clears up into a quite clear gold with lots and lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom

S: Getting lots of herbal spices and bready notes. Simlar to sourdough bread, also a bit of cloves and earthy types of aromas. Hops slightly detectable

T: Follows the nose well. Tons of huge bready notes with some spice in there as well. Has a bit of sweetness on the backend with some honey notes

M: Thick and creamy and highly carbonated. Excellent.

Overall this was excellent. I'm not too familiar with the Weizenbock style, but this one has got me intrigued. Top notch stuff

4.76/5  rDev +11.7%

Hazy apricot color with a giant 1-2 finger frothy white head with phenomenal retention and lacing.

Pale malt and banana peel make up the nose.

Flavor is just amazing. The epitome of what the style should taste like. Big bright banana flavor and bright fresh wheat.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. Fresh and crisp with high carbonation.

The best weizenbock I can possibly imagine.

4.76/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Pours a cloudy orange yellow with a two finger cream colored head. Good retention, poor lacing on the glass.

Smell: Aromas of malted wheat, banana, honey, clove, bubblegum, tangerine and mild vanilla.

Taste: Exceptionally rich. Flavors of creamy malted wheat and oats thats slightly tart, amongst notes of mild cinnamon, clove, banana and bubblegum coming from the bavarian yeast. Finishes bittersweet with a mild bitter tropical fruit pith taste among more notes of pie crust, spice and creamy grains.

Feel: Dry upfront and quite yeasty. Alcohol is not detectable. Medium body, mildly carbonated.

Overall: Another gem from Weihenstephaner brewery.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: A slightly hazy gold pour produces a 2” tight off-white foam cap.

S: Banana, light dried fruit, a trace of smoke, very faint clove and some light bread.

T: Starts with rich moist sweet bread with dried pitted fruit then a wave of banana rides through with a faint dose of clove. It is a little sweet with a hint of brown sugar and almost no hop presence.

F: Very creamy medium to just above on the body and medium to medium high carbonation.

O: Like spicy banana bread in a glass.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Weihenstephaner Vitus has a very thick, spongy, white, crackling head, a hazy (which gets even more so, when the bottom contents are swished & poured in), yellow-gold appearance, with strong bubble streams, and some lacing left behind. The aroma is strong and pungent: banana bread, banana pudding, yeast spice, some coriander, and some white wheat bread. Taste is of banana bread, banana pudding, some spice, sugar, and a touch of alcohol. Mouthfeel is fluffy and medium, and Weihenstephaner Vitus finishes semi-wet, easy drinking, and just a tad hot. Great stuff!

RJT

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

A: poured into a weizen glass to a hazy yellow topped by a three finger dense white head that has excellent retention but not a lot of lacing
S: smells of banannas, cloves and wheat
T: taste is huge banana and pear up front with clove, some nice sweetness, and creamy wheat. swallow is more banana and pear, clove and wheat
M: Light and creamy in the mouth with slightly prickly carbonation and a refreshing yet ever so slightly drying finish
O: This beer rocks the house. The flavors are off the charts and the beer is just in your face delicious. My dad absolutely loves this beer and now I see why.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is exceptional in most every aspect. Has a lot of similar flavor characteristics of the Hef. but stronger and more robust, maltier and chewy. Highly recommend.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Gorgeous. Hazy pale orange with a big, fluffy cream head.

The aroma is classic weizen - bubblegum and bananas with a hint of alcohol. Lots of aroma compared to many weizens, bock or otherwise, I've had lately.

The flavor follows the aroma almost perfectly - just lacking a little of the intensity that I expected. What's there, though, is still pretty damned flavorful and has a good dose of cloves added to the mix! A little bitterness that doesn't linger too long. There's also a little mineral character that I'm not quite placing but it works fine with the rest of the flavors.

Feels very nice. Light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. A little more creaminess wouldn't have gone amiss.

Before today I'd thought that Aventinus was the pinnacle of weizenbocks. I was wrong.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours an extremely foggy dark gold to light amber colored body, topped by a frumpy white head with excellent retention. Its aromas are very spicy and wheaty. Tons of cloves hit my nose right up front, with subtler nutmeggy notes, and the promise of sweet wheat to come. Taste is delicious beyond delicious, practically want to you close your eyes and purr. Rich flavors, but none of them unruly or overbearing. Taste is almost entirely consistent with the nose except that dark fruit notes, like plumbs or dates, enter the mix (especially on the finish). Body gently unfolds upon touching the tongue, going from lightly tingly to luxuriously creamy and mouth-filling, all within the space of a second. One of the best slow-sippers for reading a book or enjoying a nightcap that I've encountered. Positively delectable.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Ah, man this is great; I bought myself a whole case of this Weizenbock (reading the label (in German) makes me wonder if the style Weizen-Doppelbock wouldn't be more appropriate - or perhaps that style would need it's description on BA)...

A: Pours murky pale orange with a really tall white compact lovely head that slowly sets into nice lacings.

S: The smell is overpowering; there's ripe bananas and dark bread (Pumpernickel) - and this is just the smell in the room after pouring; I still havn't smelled the glass... Now, after smelling the glass; sweetness and roasted malts. Citirc notes. Yeast and spices. Fruit-cocktail! Nice sourness.

T: Well, no dissapointment after the apperance and smell - the taste follows... The ripe (almost "over-ripe") bananas from the wheat are very sweet. Then the citric notes is balanced with apples. Bitter hops.

M: Even the aftertaste is remarkable; longer than most Weizens - way longer; sweet and bitter at the same time. Body is so very smooth and refreshing; medium. Rich carbonation, but never offensive or aggresive.

O: I'm back where I started; is this a Weizenbock? If it is; this is probably the best one ever... If the style Weizen-Doppelbock if possible, this would still be a pretty darn fantastic beer. Oh, I almost forgot; I still got 19 50 cl bottles...
If I can keep character and store a couple in my cellar - this beer (most certainly) will evolve into something out of this world...

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a proper .5L weizen glass.

A: Very cloudy light golden and dark yellow colors with an enormous 2-3 fingers of white frothy head. Throughout the session, a small head retains just over the surface of the brew. Some smatterings of lacing on my glass.
S: Huge aromas at the pour. Cloves and other spices, wheat, banana and other fruity esters.
T: The cloves and spices are dominant and oh so enjoyable. There are plenty of other flavors, including dark fruity/berry in moments. The sip ends in some citrus and bitters. Metallic notes are barely present, but the balance of this big brew leaves them in the dust.
M and D: Medium-bodied and incredibly slick. A good dose of carbonation brings out the bold spices. This is an easy beer to drink, and the alcohol hides so well that I got a nice warming sensation afterwards that hit me right after the last sip. I've already recommended this to folks in town. I look forward to enjoying this beer again very soon.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan